First rifle wardrobe

If you were putting together a list of clothing to take for first rifle (12-16 Oct.) in N. Colorado at 8-11k feet elevation for 4-5 days, what would you pack? Obviously will be checking weather at the time, but for now, just getting a general idea of what I should have around and what folks in the hunting world regard as good products. I see sitka and firstlite everywhere, but is there a pair of $500 pants on earth worth the money? Not on a super strict budget and am willing to fork out cash for a good product, but money's definitely an object. Much appreciated!

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed- search the threads. If you’re a first timer, as your name seems to indicate, I think one of the biggest things to know and think about is the importance of layering and thinking about how you’ll physically be spending your day. A common thing for an elk hunter to do is get hiking up something way early in the dark in order to get to a high spot and glass.

Well, when you start that hike in the dark from your camp or truck, you’re going to be cold as balls so people have a tendency to over dress because it’s so cold at the start. If your comfortably warm when you start then you are dressed way too warmly because you’ll end up sweating a lot on that hike as your body works hard and then you’ll be all sweaty when you start to sit and glass, your body cools off cause it’s not moving, and the sweat makes you absolutely freeze.

I try to be underdressed while I’m hiking and then layer up when I get somewhere I’m going to be sitting for a while. You don’t need $500 pants, just enough quality layers. The nice thing about some of the more expensive gear is that it’s often just lighter in weight but similarly warm to something that’s much heavier, but whatever I agree that there’s not a pant in the world worth $500.

Cotton kills, use only synthetic baselayer. Also obvious probably, but crucial.

brsnow

WKR
I use first lite corrugated pants archery through 4th season rifle and just change up what I layer below. Good chance of 70 degree weather and snow during first season:)

Last season I wore Cabelas Stalker (I think that’s right) pants that have DWR finish. Had quality merino bases and had some mixed in First Lite. I love those pants from Cabelas. Around $120. I’ll end up getting another pair. I was warm layered up at -6 with those on.

I’d plan on taking everything and tailoring appropriately once there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really depends on what the weather happens to be doing while you're there. Last year, we were greeted with 10" of snow when we arrived to set up camp. The year before, it was 40 degrees warmer. Like any season, be ready for anything from 85 and sunny to 15 and snow.

We had a couple mornings in the teens, a couple full days that never got above freezing, combined with 20mph winds, and a handful of days in the 60's and 70's.

What kind of hunting will you be doing? Will you be backpacking in? Will you be day hunting from a base camp? Its hard to beat the technical clothing from brands like Sitka and Firstlite if you can afford it. I day hunt from a base camp. I use Blackovis marino base layers, Sitka Timberline pants and a Sitka Jetstream jacket. I always carry a puffy coat in my pack for when I stop. Some who backpack hunt will not use the softshell jacket to save weight. Im not sure where you are with your gear, but you should first worry about good boots and a good pack if you cant afford everything the first year. Go and have fun!!!

OP
FirstTimer
What kind of hunting will you be doing? Will you be backpacking in? Will you be day hunting from a base camp? Its hard to beat the technical clothing from brands like Sitka and Firstlite if you can afford it. I day hunt from a base camp. I use Blackovis marino base layers, Sitka Timberline pants and a Sitka Jetstream jacket. I always carry a puffy coat in my pack for when I stop. Some who backpack hunt will not use the softshell jacket to save weight. Im not sure where you are with your gear, but you should first worry about good boots and a good pack if you cant afford everything the first year. Go and have fun!!!
Hunting antlered elk, most likely sleeping in the truck and day hunting. I've got great boots all broken in; that seemed like something I shouldn't skimp on. The only things that I absolutely need for this year that I don't have yet are my pack and some of the clothing items. Heading over to grab an Eberlestock L-frame this week but not sure of the pack I'll run with it yet.

This is all great help, everyone. Sorry for starting a whole new thread, but I'm a pretty meticulous fella; I wanna do everything right, and I'm always just selfishly more comfortable with answers tailored directly to me. Really appreciate the willingness to help me out anyway.

Starting a new thread is no problem. I have never used an Eberlestock, but make sure you really research your pack before you buy one. The right pack can really change your experience.

jb1316

FNG
Agreed- search the threads. If you’re a first timer, as your name seems to indicate, I think one of the biggest things to know and think about is the importance of layering and thinking about how you’ll physically be spending your day. A common thing for an elk hunter to do is get hiking up something way early in the dark in order to get to a high spot and glass.

Well, when you start that hike in the dark from your camp or truck, you’re going to be cold as balls so people have a tendency to over dress because it’s so cold at the start. If your comfortably warm when you start then you are dressed way too warmly because you’ll end up sweating a lot on that hike as your body works hard and then you’ll be all sweaty when you start to sit and glass, your body cools off cause it’s not moving, and the sweat makes you absolutely freeze.

I try to be underdressed while I’m hiking and then layer up when I get somewhere I’m going to be sitting for a while. You don’t need $500 pants, just enough quality layers. The nice thing about some of the more expensive gear is that it’s often just lighter in weight but similarly warm to something that’s much heavier, but whatever I agree that there’s not a pant in the world worth $500.

Cotton kills, use only synthetic baselayer. Also obvious probably, but crucial.
This is great advice. I really like the look and fit of the First Lite Corrugate guide pants for what its worth- think they're like $135, so nothing crazy. I've worn them for 2 years through all kinds of nasty stuff, rain, sleet, mud, thorny brush, etc. - When I wear them out, I'll buy another pair. Try and stick with Merino base layers, and a couple get a good pair of pants and jacket - It's expensive all at once though.

Reactions: FYT

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Not a bad idea starting new threads even if there are many older threads on the topic. Plenty of new people joining the forum with experience that will add new information to a new thread and not add to older threads. Always nice to have fresh opinions on gear especially with new stuff hitting the market all the time. Funny how people take time to respond just to say use the search feature when they could easily ignore or give some quick useful info.

As far as clothes for your trip I would say to try a few pieces from a few companies. It's hard to form a real opinion if you haven't tried a few options. Try a wool and a synthetic for your base layer to see what works best for you. The zip off base layer from Kuiu are nice as they can be easily put on or taken off without having to take boots off in the field. Lightweight pants with a base layer may be all you need. If you have the budget get a lightweight and a heavier weight pair of pants as well as the base layers.

Get a good fleece layer for your next upper layer. I prefer a hoodie but that's personal preference. Get a puffy of some kind and some kind of jacket for a windbreaker. Either something like the Sitka Jet stream or just use your rain coat for a windbreaker. As far as weights of any specific piece of clothing goes, it's really a person preference or need as everybody is different on how the weather affects them.

I would suggest to just buy the clothes that are in your budget and don't get hung up on any specific brand until. I have hunted in jeans and cheap camo and flannel shirts and got the job done. The higher end stuff simply breathes better, dries faster and is lighter to carry so it can make things more enjoyable but it's definitely not a necessity.

My personal list includes stuff from Firstlite, Sitka, Kryptex, Kuiu and a puffy from Kifaru. All of which I have either bought used or on sale to help justify the purchase. I also feel no need to match my camo and have no problems with solids so that also helps to keep the cost down some if that's a concern for you.

OP
FirstTimer
Thanks a lot everyone. Tons of stuff for me to go off of in this thread. (y)(y)

Don't hesitate to look at the traditional outdoor brands too. They pioneered a lot of the tech you see in the hot hunting brands. OR, Arcteryx and Patagonia are all excellent choices for layering. Capeliene is especially effective.

As far as first rifle... Pack shorts. And showshoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk