First Rifle/Scope Purchase for Hunting

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Would the 3-9 magnification range be good if i was hoping to shoot max 600 yards? Most things i read said it’d be solid for 400-500. Not looking to take longer shots than 600 but would be nice to stretch it out wt the range
Can definitely shoot out to 600 with a 3-9, but me personally I like a little more magnification for those ranges. I like to at least have 14 power. That's just me though

4x power @ 100 yard = 24x power @ 600 yard. I would consider a higher magnification than 9x. Maybe 14x @ 600 yard = a little more than 2x @ 100 yard.

Buy the 3-9 credo and learn how to shoot out to 400 first. No offense but if this is your first hunting rifle it’s going to take some serious time and training before you should be looking at shooting something at 600 yards.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the 3-9 credo and learn how to shoot out to 400 first. No offense but if this is your first hunting rifle it’s going to take some serious time and training before you should be looking at shooting something at 600 yards.
Animals at 600?Agreed, he shouldn't be shooting. Target shooting at 600? Why not? I can get someone on target at 600 in less than a couple hours.

OP
D
Animals at 600?Agreed, he shouldn't be shooting. Target shooting at 600? Why not? I can get someone on target at 600 in less than a couple hours.
Yeah was thinking more in the longterm with the scope, bowhunting is still what I’d like to be doing so definitely love the stalking portion and will try and get and close as possible. But would like to increase my range at the shooting range, just to my confidence.

sdupontjr

WKR
If you did purchase it from Cameraland, Doug is a great guy to deal with. I have bought several high-end optics from him and even shipped back a Schmidt bender Klassic that had an issue. He usually pops up on the site from time to time. I would reach out to him with your issues if it did indeed come from Cameraland.

OP
D
If you did purchase it from Cameraland, Doug is a great guy to deal with. I have bought several high-end optics from him and even shipped back a Schmidt bender Klassic that had an issue. He usually pops up on the site from time to time. I would reach out to him with your issues if it did indeed come from Cameraland.
I sent him an email on friday and he responded, told me to give him a call today. So I will, i’m sure we’ll get it figured out

OP
D
Looking over all the suggestions and responses, think I'm going to go with the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40. I don't plan on taking a shot past 400-500 yards on my Coues hunt and I think this will suffice for that. I looked at the review done on this and it seems like a solid scope. I liked the idea of the Maven RS1.2 but that's an option for the future as it would put me way over. Going to return the Optika6 scope and purchase this today, hopefully to get in the mail tomorrow!

Reactions: NSI

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Looking over all the suggestions and responses, think I'm going to go with the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40. I don't plan on taking a shot past 400-500 yards on my Coues hunt and I think this will suffice for that. I looked at the review done on this and it seems like a solid scope. I liked the idea of the Maven RS1.2 but that's an option for the future as it would put me way over. Going to return the Optika6 scope and purchase this today, hopefully to get in the mail tomorrow!

The mil reticle version Credo is what you want.

OP
D
Pulled the trigger on the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 with the Green MIL Square reticle. Also, the guys from Unknown Munitions, held onto my mounting ring order that was sized for the Optika when i decided to return it. So that was sweet, allowed me to change it without having to return it and such. Excited to get it all mounted up and start working on my marksmanship!

OP
D
Been researching different set ups for sighting in my scope when it arrives, leaning towards bipod and rear bag (the jellyfish from S2H) vs. dual bag set up but wanted to get opinions. Thanks!

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Been researching different set ups for sighting in my scope when it arrives, leaning towards bipod and rear bag (the jellyfish from S2H) vs. dual bag set up but wanted to get opinions. Thanks!
Dual bag is more stable for me personally. I generally use a rear bag and then just shoot off of my range bag.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I recommend using whatever prone setup you will actually use in the field
For me that is bipod and rear bag
For some that is pack/front bag and rear bag

OP
D
I recommend using whatever prone setup you will actually use in the field
For me that is bipod and rear bag
For some that is pack/front bag and rear bag
Makes sense. Definitely will get a rear bag, just undecided on the front setup. Leaning towards the 9-13" Harris bipod for this hunt.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Makes sense. Definitely will get a rear bag, just undecided on the front setup. Leaning towards the 9-13" Harris bipod for this hunt.
That 9-13 is my go-to harris for general purpose prone. It is often too short in tall grass, but even if it was taller, the rear bag needs to be pretty large to be usable at that point.
Can always get shooting sticks, tripod, or shoot off pack for taller shots.

6-9" version is too short for literally everything IMO
13-27" is of course nice for sitting, but is a little tall for prone work

Geography and foliage is different wherever you go, you will find out what works for you in due time

OP
D
That 9-13 is my go-to harris for general purpose prone. It is often too short in tall grass, but even if it was taller, the rear bag needs to be pretty large to be usable at that point.
Can always get shooting sticks, tripod, or shoot off pack for taller shots.

6-9" version is too short for literally everything IMO
13-27" is of course nice for sitting, but is a little tall for prone work

Geography and foliage is different wherever you go, you will find out what works for you in due time
Sounds good! I’ll use that 9-13 than to sight in and i’ll also practice off my pack and get sticks. That’s fair just needed help getting started.

OP
D
For those who have owned the T3X, do you guys do the suggested “prior to use” quick clean i.e. run a dry patch through the barrel. Seems like a lot of people have their own procedures. Not going to do a break-in as it isn’t mentioned in the manual but just curious.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have owned the T3X, do you guys do the suggested “prior to use” quick clean i.e. run a dry patch through the barrel. Seems like a lot of people have their own procedures. Not going to do a break-in as it isn’t mentioned in the manual but just curious.
You're overthinking it. Examine the bore to make sure it's clean/clear. Shoot the damn thing