First Muzzleloader Concerns and Tips

KHands17

FNG
Hey all, going to be purchasing a muzzleloader for deer season here in Iowa, but would also want to take on some kind of hunt out west. Was wondering what everyone thought of the CVA Optima in a .50 cal. I plan on using BH209 and testing out a few different bullet options and see what gives me the most accurate muzzleloader. Was looking for suggestions on scopes, bullets and a solid cleaning kit, as well as any tips or strategies for being more effective when hunting with a smoke pole!

Optima is a fine choice, mine likes thors.
Bh209 is pretty easy to clean up with the Montana extreme cleaner.
I had a picatinny rail on my optima with a swfa 6x, removed it and switched to the Williams foolproof peep and western front globe just to save some cash and weight.

Taudisio

WKR
I too have started researching to get into them. Depending how far west you go, watch out for the different regs. CO, ID, OR, WA all have special regs for them. I’m 99% sure you can get the “open breech” for the optima and swap it out for the places that require them.

bjwiech

FNG
I have an Optima as well and like it. I have managed 1.5 MOA with a number of different bullets using pellets.

Some folks don't like the newer style Palmsaver ramrod and go with an after market option like the giramrod.

Make sure you get the Blackhorn breech plug if you are shooting BH209.

I also have an older Wolf. But prefer the Optima break lever location and wanted a nitride treated barrel. Costs a little more, but more worry free.

Hey I have an optima v2 lr in .50 and currently shoot 3 white hots pellets and a hornady monoflex sabot 250 grn. I can shoot with holes nearly touching at 100 yds.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread but I did have a few questions about the exact same thing you are asking and maybe they will help you out as well.

I have a jug of 209 and have contemplated trying to use it but have not bought the different breech plug...I think I remember hearing people recommending a different primer for loose vs pellet powder?

Also curious if there are dos/donts of loading the loose powder. Can you mess it up if re-loading in a tree or at an angle or anything like that?

bjwiech

FNG
You need to use a standard primers for BH209, not those that are lower output. You can think of it as standard output and low output. The latter are preferred for powder such as 777 to minimize development if a crud ring in the barrel.

If you don't use the standard primers you might experience a misfire or hangfire (no ignition or delayed ignition).

From the Hodgdon site:
STANDARD 209 shotshell primers are recommended for Blackhorn 209. Best results can be expected from CCI 209M and Federal 209A primers. Special muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7 and Remington Clean Bore ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

Regarding the second question. Ensure that your powder is fully down the barrel and that the bullet is firmly seated on it. Mark your ramrod so you can tell that you are firmly seating then bullet completely each time.

Bugger

FNG
This rabbit hole can be deep as you want it to be! How far are your expected shots in Iowa?