First Moose Hunt

OP
ddavis_1313
00ccdec299508e047cae6b0474d269dc.jpg

4f86e36a2b2bbd48f0433f92a7c12ee7.jpg

37f2aa4dce938ae686d06cbfdb9139a4.jpg

0ef65877dd217ac51bea9da5357aa95c.jpg

The wife and some of her fish. I got spanked this trip. She out fished me 3-1 easily on the peninsula. She was using a spin cast dredging (I think that’s what it’s called) a bead on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
Thank you for sharing with us. Moving past the challenges and disappointments, which were real, I like how you ended your write-up..."All in all, we had a heck of an adventure as we always do. We definitely learned a lot regarding to floating and moose hunting."

I also enjoyed your recognition and gratitude for the hospitality of the young family who were the lodge owners.

It does sure sound like you had one heck of an adventure...and you did it together and made it back safely. Memories for a lifetime....that's always my most prized trophy.

The very best to you for future adventures with your wife!

Thank you sir! I for sure am not bashing anyone but just wish I had more info going in or before I made a decision. Either way, we enjoyed ourselves. My frustration is 98% seeing my wife frustrated. We could not have done anything differently. We literally whispered to each other for 10 days. This included being in camp and even in the tent.

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you sir! I for sure am not bashing anyone but just wish I had more info going in or before I made a decision. Either way, we enjoyed ourselves. My frustration is 98% seeing my wife frustrated. We could not have done anything differently. We literally whispered to each other for 10 days. This included being in camp and even in the tent.

Well said, sir. We are always learning...all of us. I like the way Vern said it earlier...that was spot on.

Thank you for sharing the photos, they were FANTASTIC!!

BTW that's a beautiful and huge trout you took with your 6WT.

OP
ddavis_1313
Well said, sir. We are always learning...all of us. I like the way Vern said it earlier...that was spot on.

Thank you for sharing the photos, they were FANTASTIC!!

BTW that's a beautiful and huge trout you took with your 6WT.

Yeah it was a fun fight. Even more fun to drop her back in the water and swim away!

Great write up and I love the pics. I would be pretty confident that that bull is over 50" based on the pic, but I absolutely respect the choice to not risk it.
1000005764.jpg

OP
ddavis_1313
Great pics Dan and awesome fishing! I would have passed on that bull also, can't see him being 50".

I measure the pic zoomed in with a ruler and came up with 45-47 inches

Catchfish

WKR
sounds like it was a good experience, just not what was expected. Fishing looks like it was a great distraction. I agree with you that moose was close, I think you made the right call, hard to tell because I can’t see the bases, or tines but the overall shape appears to be cupped. Props on holding back on that moose.

OP
ddavis_1313
Great write up and I love the pics. I would be pretty confident that that bull is over 50" based on the pic, but I absolutely respect the choice to not risk it.
View attachment 769862

So with the pic zoomed out I see him as possibly legal. And this is a picture of the video paused on my digital camera. Then take in consideration that I’m looking through binos, while settling my wife, running a digital camera, and trying to count brows first and foremost. lol. In the perfect world she would know how to use her scope to measure OR I would have my gun to use my scope to measure but it happened pretty quickly. I zoomed in the picture and it does get a bit grainy. Once I got the picture to where it appeared the eyes were easily measured on the ruler I measured from paddle to paddle and he seemed under. Of course by then he was gone.

1e77b97df2063291f1faf542cb0c9f3b.jpg

OP
ddavis_1313
sounds like it was a good experience, just not what was expected. Fishing looks like it was a great distraction. I agree with you that moose was close, I think you made the right call, hard to tell because I can’t see the bases, or tines but the overall shape appears to be cupped. Props on holding back on that moose.

From what I could tell he was 3 on the left and 2 on his right. Of course my binos started fogging up when I was looking at him but they were 12x and he was 165 yards so I got a pretty dang good look.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So with the pic zoomed out I see him as possibly legal. And this is a picture of the video paused on my digital camera. Then take in consideration that I’m looking through binos, while settling my wife, running a digital camera, and trying to count brows first and foremost. lol. In the perfect world she would know how to use her scope to measure OR I would have my gun to use my scope to measure but it happened pretty quickly. I zoomed in the picture and it does get a bit grainy. Once I got the picture to where it appeared the eyes were easily measured on the ruler I measured from paddle to paddle and he seemed under. Of course by then he was gone.

1e77b97df2063291f1faf542cb0c9f3b.jpg

Next time bring a MIL dot spotting scope and spend time using it to measure bulls. I watched the bull I killed this year for over 4 hours and measured him what seemed like 100 times.

Using MIL math I had him at somewhere between 52 and 53 inches. After I killed him and cut his head off I measured on the ground like how the AK troopers measure (drag the antlers in the ground and measure the widest line). He was 52.6”.

OP
ddavis_1313
Next time bring a MIL dot spotting scope and spend time using it to measure bulls. I watched the bull I killed this year for over 4 hours and measured him what seemed like 100 times.

Using MIL math I had him at somewhere between 52 and 53 inches. After I killed him and cut his head off I measured on the ground like how the AK troopers measure (drag the antlers in the ground and measure the widest line). He was 52.6”.

I run mil dot and front focal plane on my wife’s scope as well as mine. lol