First Lite Splurge

"Buy once, cry once."

Really an excellent saying that I fully get (not sure the wife does). I planning on using some unexpected funds to get equipped in some decent camo for the upcoming season. Definitely leaning toward First Lite and have been playing with my cart on S and S for a few weeks. Here was my initial list (all in ASAT):

Boundary Stormtight Jacket and Pants
Uncompahgre Puffy
Kanab Pants
Llano SS
Llano QZ
Allegheny bottoms
Red desert boxers
Brimmed beanie
lightweight gloves

As I'm looking at the total ($1200+ with the coupon code from Steve), I started modifying for more dual purpose, eliminating nice but not necessary. Here are the changes:

Chama hoody instead of the Llano pieces.
No boxers or bottoms.(I figure I can get some Icebreaker boxers and bottoms on STP for a bit cheaper. Really no need to get ASAT boxers as I'm not currently planning on hunting in my skivies.)
No beanie or gloves (Hoody can serve the purpose of covering my head. I'll probably pick up an ASAT ball cap for regular warm weather).

Thoughts? Is the chama versatile enough for warm weather hunts (perhaps in the 80's) or should I get the Llano SS for that? Thinking the boundary shell, kanabs and puffy are four pieces that really have no better option.

With those mods, I'm still at over $900......

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
You won't be sorry!

I would use the Llano qz in the 80, the Chama would be a little much.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I've got the llano qz and the uncompahgre jacket and like them very much. I'd be very happy to own what's on your list !

I am about to pick up some First Lite from S and S as well. Going to get the Puffy and stormtight jacket and pants. What is the coupon code that you speak of?

UPnorth

FNG
I would not want to have to wear my Chama hoody if it was 80. I have worn when it was around 70 with a t-shirt underneath, but was relying on a stiff, cool breeze to stay comfortable. Maybe it would be tolerable with no base layer, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I took the plunge a month ago. Boundary top bottom, north branch top, chama hoody, kanabs. Getting ready to add a couple more pieces. Haven't had a chance on the boundary but looking forward to using first lite stuff. This is the first year with them, excited to see how they perform compared to some of my sitka pieces. Almost pulled the trigger on the puffy but couldn't justify it as I just bought a sitka kelvin jacket. Good luck on narrowing it down as it took me awhile. I don't think you will go wrong with any of it.

OP
airlocksniffer
I am about to pick up some First Lite from S and S as well. Going to get the Puffy and stormtight jacket and pants. What is the coupon code that you speak of?

Not sure if I'm supposed to post it. I pm'd Steve and he let me know within a day. 10% off I believe.

I really like the Llano SS for any hot weather, I would stick with the boxers too, just save a little $ and get black, pine or dry earth. S and S is great.

I would trade one llano for a chama but that is a personal choice. I use the two shirts together when it cools off.

dotman

WKR
The code is rokslide, Steve has posted it up many times. It is a great discount he gives for us.

I would keep the beanie. Cheapest thing on the list is the most important. I love the gloves when carrying and shooting the bow so I'd keep those too if you're a bow hunter.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the boxers or maybe try the Minus 33 ones. I got the Icebreaker's everyday boxers and find the legs too short; remind me of ladies boy shorts. Received my Red Deserts last week; very comfortable well worth it.

Climber

FNG
I have everything on your list except the kanabs and storm tight pants. You will not be disappointed with the gear. I found the puffy to not be quite as warm as expected but its a very versatile piece that is always in my pack.

Keep the boxers or maybe try the Minus 33 ones. I got the Icebreaker's everyday boxers and find the legs too short; remind me of ladies boy shorts. Received my Red Deserts last week; very comfortable well worth it.

Yelp their boxers are great although the are the exact opposite and are really long, but after lots of miles it really keeps legs from rubbing.

pretty much only boxers I buy now for hunting or every day use.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
On nearly every hunt I go on I have a merino t-shirt and my Chama from first lite. Often its too warm to wear the Chama when the weather is warm, but when the temps drop I'm glad to have it along. Or when I sweat out my t-shirt and stop to make camp I throw on the Chama and let the merino t-shirt dry over some brush if its not raining or hang up in the tipi.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have long been sold on the benefits of merino wool base layers and I recently ordered a pair of Kanab's for a CO 2nd rifle season hunt. I've worn them twice now on backpacking ventures this summer and they were fairly comfortable. Even though they were a bit warm, they did breathe well and I hope they do the same in colder October weather in CO. We usually stay pretty active except for those shorter breaks when glassing. I can't wait to give them a try in cooler temps.

OP
airlocksniffer
Okay, modded my list to the following (mostly based on the typical conditions I hunt in):

North Branch Jacket
Springer Vest
Chama zip or hoody (depending on availability)
Llano SS
Kanab Pants

I may pick up some NB Pants for later in the season but I have a pair of Gamehide ones that work fine too. I reconsidered the Boundary pieces as they are probably a bit noisy and we don't get the torrential rain some places get. I can throw my Marmot Precip in my pack for those times of some rain. Icebreaker stuff from STP for the bottoms and underwear and I should be set. Now I just need to figure out sizing. Normally I buy large but I'm reading the FL stuff runs generous. I'm just underf 6 ft and 185 pounds. I normally wear 34/32 as far as Levis. I'm leaning toward a medium for everything. Thoughts?

cutup75

FNG
I'm 6'1" 175, I wear the chama hoody in Med, and large pants. I have a 32/33" waist.

The chama hoody is my absolute favorite piece of clothing, I have 3 of them. I'm not a fan of the Springer vest, I sold mine, I have a kuiu vest for a wind stopper layer.
Can't go wrong with FL anything though.

The Llano is my single favorite peice of clothing they offer, followed closely by the Red Desert Boxers...

The Chama Hoody is great too, but I like a nice thin layer of merino next to the skin. It's great for hiking and drys out quick. Personally, I wouldn't start a layering system without the Llano.

KHNC

WKR
If any of you are current or former military, you should join promotive . They offer a 40% savings on First Lite and 350+ other outdoor companies out there. Membership is free and easy. Send me a pm with email address and Ill send you an invite.