First Lite Pre orders

sr80

WKR
that catalyst soft shell jacket caught my eye. Looking forward to some more info on it. I dont see pitzips on it, so it must breath pretty well. I wonder how well it will block wind?

jm1607

WKR
that catalyst soft shell jacket caught my eye. Looking forward to some more info on it. I dont see pitzips on it, so it must breath pretty well. I wonder how well it will block wind?

I don't know, but I'm also eyeing it hard. I was going to buy a Kelvin Active till I saw the details on the Catalyst.. My plan is to wait till after the season and get it on sale.. I have so much gear I'm not in a hurry lol

So far it's the only new piece of clothing I've seen I'm interested in from anybody.. Wish it was ASAT though!

FL isn't big on pitzips but I wish it had them too.. To me, there's no reason I wouldn't want pitzips or a removable hood, just gives me more options even if I don't use them.. I would pay a little more to have them on my mid-outer layers in just about every scenario

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm looking to snag some of the new Wick boxer briefs and a Corrugate jacket, I'll pull the trigger as soon as I can decide between Cipher and Fusion for the jacket. I'm 99% certain the animals don't care, I just need to make up my damn mind.

bigharge

WKR
I'm looking to snag some of the new Wick boxer briefs and a Corrugate jacket, I'll pull the trigger as soon as I can decide between Cipher and Fusion for the jacket. I'm 99% certain the animals don't care, I just need to make up my damn mind.

Fusion is prettier!!! lol

Last year was my first for anything from First Lite. I bought 2 pair of the Obsidian pants and neither of them impressed me at all. What I noticed was they were real bun-huggers and very snug in the rise. The legs were okay above the knees but tapered down to a ridiculous tight little ankle/cuff. The conifer green (as shown in their color key) turned out to be more like dark spinach. I then ordered a pair in dry earth color and found them to fit exactly the same weird (to me) way. This pair also had a manufacturing defect: the front pocket had been caught in a bar-tack and was sewn partially closed. No way to fix it without cutting either the bar-tack or the pocket fabric. Sent them back and said that's enough.

Later I did buy 3 pair of the Benmore (Aerowool) shorts and wore these while in Alaska. I think they're pretty good shorts and I'm happy with them. If I buy anything else from FL you can be sure I'll be checking it carefully for fit and function. I want to like this company but I need their gear to fit my 6-0 / 200 lb frame correctly. I definitely need durability in anything I buy.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Held out in the 2017 lineup and it is time to replenish some of my 4 year old stock.

Base layers: Going to stick with the Fuse for now.

Mid Layer: The Chama was my fav so gonna roll with Kiln.

Outer: The Corrugate guide pants were stellar for me last year. They held up against a ruthless beating getting my elk out of a jungle last year. Switched to my old gore tex for day two of pack out and they completely shredded on me (they were 6 years old Cabalas crap so a little old). My biggest complaint with FL is durability. I just shred my mid-weight layers hunting in the thick stuff. Hoping to cut the wind off on early season hunts (Maybe leave the puffy behind) and protect my base-layers. Going to give the jacket a whirl.

Tempting: Catalyst and 350 Merino X furnace. Both intriguing, but going to hold out until they release and await more in-field reviews on fit, breathability, and durability.

Maybe I have blocked out the price I paid in the past, but was a little hopeful that pricing would be better with the new “direct” model. Seems to me the pricing stayed the same as 2017. If quality has improved than it is a solid win. Brief comparison to competition it looks to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
I definitely need durability in anything I buy.

I'd stay with their Nylon/Synthetic stuff then. Corrugate line, puffy jackets etc. Lots of people complain about the wool durability. Personally I haven't had any issues with my Kanab pants or base layers...yet.

Maybe their new Merino X stuff will be a bit more durable.

texag10

WKR
I was hoping the new lightweight aerowool would be 100% aerowool, but it looks like they have the same synthetic underarms panel that stink up on my current aerowool long sleeve.

I am interested in some of their mid layers so i can get ride of my kuiu hoody. I wonder how the warmth compares on the klamath to the kiln.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I was hoping the new lightweight aerowool would be 100% aerowool, but it looks like they have the same synthetic underarms panel that stink up on my current aerowool long sleeve.

I am interested in some of their mid layers so i can get ride of my kuiu hoody. I wonder how the warmth compares on the klamath to the kiln.

Kenton himself has said those mesh panels are aerowool just like the rest of the shirt. They aren’t pure poly.

I'd stay with their Nylon/Synthetic stuff then. Corrugate line, puffy jackets etc. Lots of people complain about the wool durability. Personally I haven't had any issues with my Kanab pants or base layers...yet.

Maybe their new Merino X stuff will be a bit more durable.

Thanks. What I meant to convey is that whatever I buy can't be relatively fragile or easily worn out. I'm not particularly hard on my clothing in any setting. I wouldn't want my pants to be torn if I sat on a rock pile or walked through some (average, non-thorny) brush. I figure the FL lineup will do that. What concerns me most is fitment. I'm not a fan of crazy or unusual fit.

I mean...come on...is there a human in the world who actually has body and limbs shaped like images of the base layers? Reminds me of Under Armour pictures.

texag10

WKR
Kenton himself has said those mesh panels are aerowool just like the rest of the shirt. They aren’t pure poly.

Interesting, could've sworn I read otherwise on here. Either way they hold more stink than any other merino or merino blend I've ever worn.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Interesting, could've sworn I read otherwise on here. Either way they hold more stink than any other merino or merino blend I've ever worn.

You definitely read that on here in the massive 2018 FL thread - they hopped on and explained it wasn’t the case though.

I don’t doubt you could get some odor retention. For me it takes about 3 hard days to get the aerowool to have any smell, but it pales in comparison to a synthetic, treated or not, in a day. But that stuff is a little based on your body chemistry I think, loads of people have no problems with polygiene.

What I love about that aerowool is how fast it dries - that makes it more valuable to me than max odor resistance, but again that’s just me.

NDGuy

WKR
I mean...come on...is there a human in the world who actually has body and limbs shaped like images of the base layers? Reminds me of Under Armour pictures.
I got so pissed initially trying their clothes because I was anywhere from a S to an XL in sizing. How does that even happen?

Napperm4

WKR
I like the idea of their items, and love their base layers. Just scared to order and not have it fit again! Shipping is sure a pain up in Canada. I’ll wait until after their reveal tomorrow and see what they say about sizing.

That new hooded halstead is just what I want!

Haha. I just put in an aggressive order to Alberta on a gamble. If there’s any fit issues I’ll keep you in mind. Maybe we work out a swap

mcseal2

WKR
I'm going to order a couple pairs of the Aerowool 200 bottoms for Alaska this fall. I already have Aerowool for all my other next to skin stuff from last year.

Does the hooded Halstead zip all the way up to your nose? I personally hate that, I tried a Sitka Heavyweight Core like that. I like the hoods on the Chama and Sawtooth very much. For synthetics the Sitka Core LW hoody and Sitka Fanatic hoody fit similar. I won't buy the hooded Halstead if it has the hood that zips up that far. I like my Halstead and would buy a hooded version with the right hood.

I'll probably end up getting a Catalyst jacket and pants at some point but I don't need them right now. I want to wait to hear more reviews on them especially about how quiet they are. I loved my Obsidian pants until I ripped a giant hole in the ASAT pair I bought on the fall sale the 3rd day I wore them coyote hunting. They are quiet but when I snagged them on a locust slipping through the timber they tore pretty easy. I never even felt the pull, just heard the rip. If the Catalyst stuff is as quiet I'll probably get some in Cipher. I do miss ASAT, it blends in great around home once the grass goes dormant. I got enough to last me for years of predator and whitetail hunting on the sales though.

Gorp2007

WKR
I got so pissed initially trying their clothes because I was anywhere from a S to an XL in sizing. How does that even happen?

If you contact their customer support they'll help you figure out your real-world size. Knowing your pants and suit jacket size can help, as well as knowing how other FL pieces fit you.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I took the Catalyst jacket to Mexico with me and have also used it quite a bit since February here in Wyoming hiking around. Everyone says it's like no other soft shell that there is and I have to concur with that. The feel is definitely like no other soft shell but I feel the function is still there. It blocks wind very well, breaths well and packs down small for a jacket like that. It's more of a mid layer fleece layer feel with soft shell benefits. It's extremely quiet. A lot of times I just wear a t shirt underneath of it and then hike with only the jacket on. I think they nailed the fit as well.. I'm 5' 10" athletic 170lb build and the medium fits really well. Mine is in brown and I wear it all over town, to work, travel, etc. And for $230 I think it's going to be very tough to beat.