First Lite Customer Service = GARBAGE

Long story short, and knowing First Lite is a sponsor here I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I was gifted a pair of Obsisdian merino pants which retail for $180 with tax close to $200 pants. After a couple minimal uses this past fall I was sitting on an elk wallow.

I felt a breeze coming into my crotch as the sun went down. I figured l had left my zipper down. I glanced down and the entire crotch of my $200 pants had ripped out at the seam.

I put an iron on patch on them to get me through the fall and am now just dealing with First Lite customer service. I didn't have an original purchase email since they were a gift. First Lite has told me I am shit out of luck and NOTHING can be done. No exchange, refund, in store credit just "Sorry nothing can be done"

This might save one of you the headache of doing business with a company that WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. My $20 five year old Wranglers from Wal-Mart have held up better than a supposedly premium brand of First Lite. Don't waste your money, lots of better options out there. Pnuma, Sitka, Asio, Kings to name a few that stand behind their product.

Hope this may save someone frustration, disappointment, and some money.

I think there’s a couple items where the buy once cry once mentality makes sense like boots, packs, etc.

Pants isn’t on that list after buying Prana and Wrangler and seeing minimal difference.

I think that probably goes for most things. There’s only so many material types to be used. As long as it fits/stretches/dries/insulates as you’d expect the material to, who cares who makes it. The performance is going to be close and a whole lot cheaper.

NorseNW

FNG
I'll second your frustration. I purchased FL rain gears a few years back through a third party so not directly from FL. Wore it three times and the pocket zipper fell out. Not the zipper didn't work just the entire zipper where it's glued in with the waterproofing fell out. Called and was told because I bought it from a third party - nothing they can do. Last piece of their gear I've purchased.

the problem is more the product than the customer service. I can't think of any clothing company that will let you return pants after multiple days of outdoor wear. Obsidians blow out the crotch, it's pretty well known. but they're comfy, quite, cover a lot of temps, and don't get too stinky. its all about tradeoffs.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked with your local dry cleaner? They will usually fix a busted seam for cheap.

It's a bummer First Lite wouldn't help you out, but on the flip side, I think it would be hard to warranty a piece of clothing with a ripped seam.

My complaint with them is that returns are only eligible for gift card credit. That's why I quit buying from them.

skindroid

FNG
I think there’s a couple items where the buy once cry once mentality makes sense like boots, packs, etc.

Pants isn’t on that list after buying Prana and Wrangler and seeing minimal difference.

I think that probably goes for most things. There’s only so many material types to be used. As long as it fits/stretches/dries/insulates as you’d expect the material to, who cares who makes it. The performance is going to be close and a whole lot cheaper.

+1

Coming from the shooting community, I have 100% noticed certain clothing hits a point of diminishing returns when it comes to cost/durability. There is a lot of well made stuff for cheap now, and it comes from the same place as the expensive stuff half the time...just might have to make some concessions on colors and patterns.

Either way, thanks for the heads up OP

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Disappointing to hear. I have always liked their pants, but also haven’t been impressed with longevity of the gear. I also will probably go
elsewhere after hearing this. Sitka and Kuiu both have fantastic service in my experience.

Don't blame them for not warranting the pants in that condition but I do blame them for making some of the shittiest build quality garments around. They have nice designs with nice materials but a lot of the build quality is just flat out JUNK. If forced to bet on the sewing holding up on a First Lite garment vs the cheapest stuff you can find at wal-mart, my $ is on the walmart stuff.

eh, that's a harsh take. I've got softshell, puffy, mid and base layers from first lite that are 5 years old and still doing just fine. Wick shirts don't stand up to friction very well, but still lasted about 100 hunting days before wearing through.

The obsidians specifically are really weak, Sitka Apex are way better pants.

I really like their wick stuff, kiln hoody, and triad socks.

Last time I ordered a hoody and some merino base stuff. I sent the hoody back because the stitching was terrible. It was loose with little rat nests and the seam endings had long dangling ends. I probably would have kept it anyway but it wasn't quite right for me. Return was easy and they sent me a label quickly.

I'm not surprised they wouldn't warranty a shredded crotch but it would still be a worthwhile play to retain a customer. There's too many high level competitors in the market for that.