First Idaho Elk Rifle Season

jgreer19

FNG
This will be my first rifle season for elk this year after having my daughter. I am newer to big game hunting as I started with turkey and deer. I am going to be hunting in unit 4 and have a camp set up. I was just hoping for some advice you’d give to any new elk hunter. I have been scouting and spoken with the wildlife biologist. Just hoping to hear from successful hunters as well! Thank you in advance!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunting in the jungles is fun 🤣🤙 this bull two years ago I could see the rack coming from 90 yards but no body to shoot until 45 yards. The key in elk hunting especially the jungles is plan on a marathon. Time afield is the greatest key to success in the proper locations. You can’t kill them watching tv. Plan on rain and lots of fog and getting realllll wet. Good luck🤙

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 46
OP
J

jgreer19

FNG
Hunting in the jungles is fun 🤣🤙 this bull two years ago I could see the rack coming from 90 yards but no body to shoot until 45 yards. The key in elk hunting especially the jungles is plan on a marathon. Time afield is the greatest key to success in the proper locations. You can’t kill them watching tv. Plan on rain and lots of fog and getting realllll wet. Good luck🤙

I appreciate it! Hopefully I’ll have a pic to post in a few weeks!

OP
J

jgreer19

FNG
Unit 4 is literally north Idaho's backyard. If you think you have a lead on elk.....work quickly. There's 14 others with the same thoughts.

Never quit.

I’d love to get a little farther away, but my little girl doesn’t really go to sleep for anyone but me and is an extra mommas girl. Need to stay close enough incase I need to come home! I’m hoping the off season work will pay off and if not it’ll be a good learning experience!

Best of luck man, unit 4 can really test you. I have a love hate relationship with her. As mentioned, spend as much time as you can out there, the stars usually align once. Plan on living in rain gear. Be ready for other hunters and just go for it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will check the rest of my cams Monday but for fun and dreams of the panhandle 😍 a few tips because that is all you may see🤣 the last one I called in for my friend the last day from the wallow he was in on this photo just needed 2steps🤣 if he talks like that again I will have a full photo of him🤙

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0741.jpeg
    IMG_0741.jpeg
    715.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg