First Idaho Elk Rifle Season

jgreer19

FNG
This will be my first rifle season for elk this year after having my daughter. I am newer to big game hunting as I started with turkey and deer. I am going to be hunting in unit 4 and have a camp set up. I was just hoping for some advice you’d give to any new elk hunter. I have been scouting and spoken with the wildlife biologist. Just hoping to hear from successful hunters as well! Thank you in advance!

Thunter

FNG
Keep the wind in your face, don't go back to camp for lunch & cover ground until you find them!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunting in the jungles is fun 🤣🤙 this bull two years ago I could see the rack coming from 90 yards but no body to shoot until 45 yards. The key in elk hunting especially the jungles is plan on a marathon. Time afield is the greatest key to success in the proper locations. You can’t kill them watching tv. Plan on rain and lots of fog and getting realllll wet. Good luck🤙

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 17

Wrench

WKR
Unit 4 is literally north Idaho's backyard. If you think you have a lead on elk.....work quickly. There's 14 others with the same thoughts.

Never quit.

Plan on falling on your ass multiple times a day when it rains, and then for 4 days following the rain plan on being wet. Like Ross said, plan for fog. If a spot looks like a hellhole, chances are the elk like it there!