First hunting rifle considerations

krico123

FNG
Lookig to get started hunting whitetail, currently, I am looking at the .308 or the 6.5 Creedmoor but can't figure out what bolt action rifle to get. I been looking for wood stock options but they seem fair and few between, with a price range of 800-1100 dollars range. What rifles would you recommend for someone looking to get into hunting?

Sauer 101 GTI with a laminated wood thumbhole stock. Very good rifle and can be used for almost anything in .308.
I would buy it again and again and it shoots like poison. Unfortunately, in the States it's over your budget.
I would also go for a Tikka, cheap and good.

Tikka in either caliber for what you’re doing. I’d personally go 6.5 because of less recoil and I’d be practicing long range as well and the 6.5 definitely excels there.

Macintosh

WKR
@krico123 where will you be hunting mostly? I ask because both of those are great cartridges that you’ll be easily able to use for about any hunt in north america, but depending on where you are hunting and what type of hunting you may want a different scope. If you havent already, Id personally put as much effort and thought into a scope and mounts as the rifle.
Regarding the rifle, a tikka t3x is an easy good choice. A browning x bolt is a good choice. Both are within your budget, assuming that 800-1000 was a budget, and that your budget didnt include the scope and mounts—it was not clear to me if this was a budget or a statement that that was more than you wanted to spend. 700-1000 is about what a good quality new, off the shelf rifle will cost, with cheaper options being the “cheaper options” imo. Tikka and Browning are in my opinion the two best-value new, off the shelf guns that will last you probably forever. You can get cheaper guns, but most of those seem a bit more luck of the draw, a bit more rattly, etc—plenty of people use them, just haven't found one I personally liked. You can also get more $$ off the shelf guns, but those dont really buy better quality in most cases, usually just features or a specific configuration you may or may not even want, or a nicer-looking finish. To me those two are the sweet-spot for quality and value.
Wood is more expensive and isnt what sells in volume, so lots of gun stores dont stock many—but both tikkas and brownings and many other guns are available with wood stocks, so if you have your heart set on it you could find a gun you like and order one with a wood stock…just be aware it could take a while to get unless you actually make an online purchase and have it shipped to your ffl. Wood is classier looking, and it’s warmer-feeling if you’re hunting in very cold weather, and it has more soul than any plastic or fiber stock ever will, but apart from that there isnt really any functional advantage to it so it seems to have dropped out of favor.

If I was starting out again with whitetails I would buy a Tikka T3 lite in 6.5. Great reviews on that weather durable rifle and a solid choice in chambering. Top it with a great scope and rings , buy some good ammo and get shooting and hunting.
Start with a simple solid setup as a first rifle and save all the kinky rifle looney stuff for later. That rifle and a great set of binos will carry you far in whitetail country. Where ever that may be. Good luck.

Btaylor

WKR
Unless you are hunting really open areas where 300+ yard shots may be fairly common, you might consider a muzzleloader. Less effective range but more season to be in the field.

read this thread, i wouldn't pick either of those cartridges for kids.

read this thread, i wouldn't pick either of those cartridges for kids.
I don’t think he’s a kid but I could be wrong.

JSC2626

FNG
My first and second white tail rifles were tikkas. The first being a T3 Lite in .308 which took a great many white tail in MS and AL. These days I’m using a 30-06 in a Tikka T3X Lite SS so I can have more of a do-all North American rifle (deer, bear, elk, etc.). If I were just hunting white tail, whether i was shooting at bow ranges in AL or 500 yards in Idaho, I would get a 6.5. The recoil is less which will help you practice more and flinch less. The ammo is very close to .308 in cost and availability now. The 6.5 will kill a deer as effectively as a .308 at any range.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
In that price range a Tikka T3x is the only option you ever need. Both cartridges will work great on deer. Both have many different loadings on the store shelves. I’d personal go 308 first both.

Is this rifle intended to be a one and down rifle or is this just the beginning? What’s your ranges?

If it were a one and done rifle I’d split the difference and go 7mm-08. Which is one of my favorite cartridges.

Last edited: