First hunt after knee replacement

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a disabled vet but I’m in decent shape and hit the gym multiple times per week. I also had a full knee replacement in 2022. I am headed over to AZ unit 27 for a mule deer hunt in November and it is tough country, steep burn scars with tons of deadfall. This will be my first big multi day hunt since the replacement. I live in the eastern AZ mountains and am out in them several days per week but I’m still a bit concerned about redamaging my knee. Both my sons will be there as well as another vet friend. I’m considering hunting basically from unburned areas overlooking burn scars, glassing, and then moving into a shooting position. Otherwise I could just sit in high deer density areas and wait one out. Y’all have any advice for a guy with a knee replacement?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m 5 months full knee replacement. Other than a continuing IT band issue and some swelling still I have clearance for full steam ahead. Any residual issues? Anything limiting you ? What did your surgeon say? Mine is an elk hunter.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
No I’m not on any limitations. I shed hunt and hike a lot. Just the steeps and the burned logs seem to be pretty dangerous. The surgeon said I’m a poster boy for recovery. I’m religious about working out. But it does get sore at times and I worry about damaging it.

I’d be seeking professional medical opinions IF I were in your shoes. Dr who performed surgery and physical therapists.

Last thing you want is to redamage or jack yourself up and require an EVAC in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, a Marine is telling you to take it ez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m using a trekking pole to assist as needed but roaming in all conditions. Would not be jumping off logs or walking on them, otherwise I would not be too worried. Be smart, don’t pack to much weight in your pack and be reasonable and you should be good. Ultimately you need to be comfortable in what you are doing otherwise it is no fun. Good luck🤙

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be seeking professional medical opinions IF I were in your shoes. Dr who performed surgery and physical therapists.

Last thing you want is to redamage or jack yourself up and require an EVAC in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, a Marine is telling you to take it ez.

I did and both have cleared me. I even ski’d all last winter. I guess Im just worried about it in those very steep and rough areas. All that downed timber and steep terrain has me spooked. Damaging the prosthetic would be pretty devastating.

Push it where you are at then in the mtns.

Make the “work up” harder than the “hunt” will be. And you’ll be fine. But you are fairly close on time.

Just keep pushing them. Ask for knee sleeves from the Doc for a backup in case stuff isn’t feeling right.

Make sure to post up the buck pics post hunt. From what I can remember, that’s a good area for big bucks

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I’ve been working hard for months And hike even in some burn scars.. I’ve taken a few falls in the downed timber and that’s really my worry. We are basically down to it at this point. I’m just going to have to deal with it. I stillhunt pretty slowly anyway.

Yes I’ve been scouting the unit and seen lots of bucks and several wall hanger first day bucks. I don’t like the road hunters and will get away from the roads as best as I can.

yfarm

WKR
Consider wearing a 360 brace on that knee as a safety measure. Thats a neoprene sleeve with aluminum hinges on each side. I wear one when I know I am going to be in thick cover on a slope and put twisting and offangle stresses on the knee. Don’t have tkr but torn meniscus I am nursing along avoiding surgery. Find that it stabilizes the knee so I forget about the knee. I think I have seen only one knee prosthesis fracture out of the bone if the bone was normal, loose or osteoporotic different story. Think that was from a motorcycle accident.
Remember one cycle guy had a mid tibia fracture treated with a rod, healed, had another accident, fractured the tibia where the rod was and bent the rod. To get it out they had to pull the tibia apart at the fracture and use a metal saw blade to cut the rod in half at the fracture and pull each piece out.
Bought this as a spare for the one I got at my orthos office
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE-Bran...-Fits-Most/47070932?athbdg=L1600&from=/search, works as well at a far reduced price.

Last edited:

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about 20 years short of qualified for this sub-forum, but I do wear knee braces when hiking because my knees are prone to bursitis/irritation because of patella alta (high patella). My knees act functionally much older than they are, so I hope can provide some insight from nearly 30 years of knee issues, physical therapy, and orthopedic evaluations.

For braces, I've found is that even the lightest neoprene McGuard brace (with kneecap cutout) helps keep the knees warm, mobile, and slightly more stable. Anti-itch foot powder is essential to keep the funk to a minimum in the braces and reduce chafing. Same for heavier braces as the ones linked above. I have a couple heavier McGuard braces with flexible rods instead of metal hinges that provide good support and some "spring" back from knee flexion. I wear them when packing heavy or hiking downhill.

Knee braces are obviously a "bandaid" on a potential problem that can be minimized through specific strengthening. I have found the following areas to work on in order of importance:
1. The best guard against knee injury is unilateral exercises that strengthen each leg independently, targeting stabilizers, adductors, and abductors. Knees are very strong when loaded as a pair, but off-balance, single-legged stresses are the largest cause of injury.
2. Secondly is strength with knees at greater than 45 degree flexion, trained with static exercises (wall sits, Spanish squats), and moving up to isotonic (slow) box squats. Finally adding in vertical jumps and dynamic lunges, and Bulgarian split squats. You don't need much more than bodyweight plus a backpack weight to be "strong," no need for heavy weights unless you want to.
3. Knee strength at full extension is also important to prevent hyper-extension. Isometric holds with full extension. Single-legged Romanian deadlift with a band pulling the standing knee outwards are one of my favorites, since they are unilateral and also work hamstrings/glutes.
4. Glute and hamstring activation. Consciously focus on activating these areas while doing the exercises above. Both stabilize and strengthen the knee joint.
5. Peripheral muscles. Strengthen the tibialis (toe lifts), psoas, glute medius, and learn to brace your abs when lifting heavy weight. All upstream and downstream strengthening will reduce contributing causes to knee instability.

I have had two hip replacements and I let my body talk to me. A year ago I pulled the tendon attechments in the rear of the knee. After a year it still hurt to sit on a bucket and the injury inflamed when going downhill on steep ground. I got a copper fit knee brace and after a week had a better recovery than I had seen in a year. My wife has had both knees replaced and wears the same. It reduced the swelling and impacts to the knee.

Backyard

WKR
Im 3 years into my TKR. Went on my normal archery elk hunt 8 months into it. Was a bit sore but never worried about damaging it. It’s stronger than the original. Work on your full ROM, IT bands and pistol squats. Not just regular squats, as you will subconsciously put more weight into your other leg.
My Dr always told me to do whatever I wanted. That normal movement isn’t going to damage it. The pounding from running will cause premature wear on the spacer, so I don’t run. But I operate same as before. Like I have little man syndrome. “Don’t tell me that I can’t do that” is kind of my mantra. No problems at all.
I’ll be bow hiking the mountains for elk again this year.
Good luck.