Beginning bear hunt

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, I’ve hunted bear before but never anything serious. I’m in southwest Washington and want to do a 4-5 day bear hunt. Either spring In Idaho or next august here. I’m not looking for honey holes or anything. Just looking for beginner friendly areas to scout and hunt. I’d be willing to go to Idaho as well. I’m not looking for any monster bear. Just want my first one. Any tips or advice I can get I’ll take. I already bought the ultimate guide to black bear hunting book. But I’ll take any advice I can get!

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
My only advice is to hire a guide for your first hunt. It will make the hunt more enjoyable and you’ll learn a lot and learn it faster than hunting on your own.

bpeay4

FNG
The majority of Idaho's units have bears. Probably stay away from the deserty units and you'll be fine. Spring hunts are fun.

Last edited:

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Start by thinking about their needs. Food is a big priority for them. Spring new grass coming up post snow melt. August - berries. For the spring bear spot and stalk, bears in my experience are out on the tops of the hills.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the responses! I may give Idaho spring bear a try and focus more local come august. Following everyone advice

JJCascade

FNG
i have thought about spring bear in idaho as well, trying to get employment figured out as it was questionable this past summer/fall so i did not hunt at all. i have been looking at the discounted tag units.

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey everyone, I’ve hunted bear before but never anything serious. I’m in southwest Washington and want to do a 4-5 day bear hunt. Either spring In Idaho or next august here. I’m not looking for honey holes or anything. Just looking for beginner friendly areas to scout and hunt. I’d be willing to go to Idaho as well. I’m not looking for any monster bear. Just want my first one. Any tips or advice I can get I’ll take. I already bought the ultimate guide to black bear hunting book. But I’ll take any advice I can get!
I’m doing my 1st hunt May 2024. A guided Spring black bear over bait in SE Alaska. I wasn’t keen on baited hunt at first. But since it’s my 1st time harvesting a big game animal, I figured that’s a good place to start. And I still must make the shot. Good luck to you!

escadia

FNG
Thanks for sharing it was really helpful. Starting out hunting this year and am trying to soak up as much info as possible as I have not found anyone in person who was willing to take a newbie out.

MoeFaux

FNG
I'm in a similar situation. Already booked a guide, but I'm going after my first bear and want to learn as much as possible. I've had a good time poking around the Bear Hunting Magazine website for pointers and inspiration.

escadia

FNG
I'm in a similar situation. Already booked a guide, but I'm going after my first bear and want to learn as much as possible. I've had a good time poking around the Bear Hunting Magazine website for pointers and inspiration.
Well good luck. How much was the guide just for my reference?