First high end pack purchased

Thanks for the write up. It’s good to hear from guys who have had the opportunity to try on multiple options and come to a conclusion.

I bought a Kifaru based on many of the reviews here and found it didn’t work for me at all. I’m a much different build at 6’, 165#. That pack absolutely crushed my lower back. It was a costly learning experience but I didn’t have the opportunity to try before buying. I tried so hard to love it, but in the end found it was hampering my ability to carry heavy loads, which was the whole intent of my purchase.

In the end, the Exo was a much better pack for me, personally. I’m convinced every body build benefits from a different pack design after my experience. I find I can bear much more weight on the Exo, and comfortably hike without any pain to my lower back. Of the options I’ve had the opportunity to try, it’s the best fit for my body type.
That cracks me up because I sold my Exo because it killed me, and picked up a Kifaru which fits great. I'm 6' ~160. I've learned that there is a lot about the body dynamic, there is no one fits all.

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a exo few weeks back. Called in and ordered a few extras this past week. Asked to talk with Mark as he is whom I delt with when purchasing the pack. Gal took my number and mark called me from the expo.

I've heard of the same results with kifaru.

It's really simple. Make a good product, stand behind it. Profit.

Both companies do well at this and I bet most of us have a mix of all brands

Jbehredt

WKR
I picked up a exo few weeks back. Called in and ordered a few extras this past week. Asked to talk with Mark as he is whom I delt with when purchasing the pack. Gal took my number and mark called me from the expo.

I've heard of the same results with kifaru.

It's really simple. Make a good product, stand behind it. Profit.

Both companies do well at this and I bet most of us have a mix of all brands

Great guys for sure. Mark has always been a great help, even when I asked for a handful of parts I needed to put their bag on another frame. Basically got them to me for the cost of shipping. And quickly.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Congratulations! Kifaru is a great company.

Am always intrigued how Cottage industry sales people feel they can afford to be dismissive. Everyone is entitled to weariness, but it’s really unacceptable.

That said, we have so many great choices these days, and the list seems to be growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I sold my Horn Hunter at the end of this past season, and finally saved up enough coin to buy a high end pack. Headed to the hunt expo this morning with plans to try on all of the good packs I could.

I initially went in thinking that with all the research and reading I had done, that I would end up with a stone hglacier for sure. But I'll write a little about each pack and company I looked at, maybe someone else is in a similar boat.

Exo- First guys I talked to. Super helpful and friendly, helped me setup and try on their packs, answered all my questions and even were honest and recommended I not get certain accessories based on my use, even though it was money in their pocket. Offered a 10% show discount which was nice!
Pack was really really comfortable with I think they said 50lbs or so in it. Fit me well, great bag layout, well made. I was tempted to order one right then and there, but I wanted to check out all my options.

Next up was Kuiu-
My dad just picked one up recently and I've tried it on a few times. It just does not fit me at all for some reason, the frame is just weird on me. Guys over there were super nice, very knowledgeable. Obviously busy over there at Kuiuland.

Hill people gear-
Seem to be well made stuff, just wasn't what I was looking for. Very nice guys and seemed to be pretty knowledgeable.

Stone Glacier-
So like I said I really thought this was the pack I was going to buy. I headed over there and the sales guy was with someone else, no big deal, so I started browsing through the different bags. I loved the simple bags and layouts. As soon as he finished up I turned to ask about trying on packs and what not, and I guess I didn't look serious enough because he went to help some other dude checking out Tshirts lol. Another sales guy showed up and showed me the two frames, briefly explained the differences and pointed out the two loaded frames to try on. Both of them fit a little weird compared to the others I tried, and put weird pressure on my back. I asked about any kind of show deals and was told, the price is the price. Alrighty.

Kifaru-
I finally figured out where they were hiding in the back corner in the Alpha Bowhunting booth. They had a couple of packs setup heavy and ready to test. Dayna over there is awesome. Answered all my questions, no BS. I had been eyeing the Muskeg as dealing with pack covers sucks, and they happened to have one. Tried it on, definitely the heaviest pack of the day, and also the most comfortable. Dayna had me open it all up, check out the zippers, buckles, pockets, all that. Super in depth. Offered 15% off for the expo.

I narrowed it down right there to Exo and Kifaru. Headed back to Exo to try that on, then Kifaru directly after.

The hype is real! I thought before I had tried it that the Kifaru hype on Rokslide was just that. It's some seriously well made stuff. The design and layout, bag options, all of it. I could not believe how comfortable it was under load. Blew my mind. So needless to say I ordered up a new lite frame and a Muskeg 5000. So stoked for it to get here and start testing.

Thanks again to Dayna and Kifaru!

Hopefully this helps somebody out, if not it's the incoherent ramblings of some guy. Oh well!

I'm glad it worked out so clear for you. I love my Kifaru's too. They are the best I've ever had on as well. Dana has helped me out too. It's a dang shame if was on the phone though since she is so dang good looking. :^)

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I would love to write up an article after getting the pack and using it as a comparison of what you get going from an entry level to a good pack. I don't know that I am a good enough writer to do an official review on rokslide, but either way I will post a thread about my thoughts and experiences.

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to do a quick update. Received the pack within a week of ordering which is awesome.

Unpacked it and have been playing around with fit and checking out all the features. The quality of their stuff I don't think can be beat honestly. Just feeling it, you can tell how quality it is. So comfortable.

I will update more as I get it fitted and loaded up for a test hike!

It would be nice to have the opportunity to try them all out in the same place. I have two SG packs and I’m very happy. I’ve had great experiences with their customer service both through email and on the phone. it’s unfortunate that your experience with them was not good. Hopefully they take notice and congrats in the new setup!

Congats on your new pack. I dont think you can beat Kifaru. I have my Woodsman on a Tactical frame and a Reckoning on a Lite frame

Last edited:
Congrats on your kifaru funny enough I was in the same boat as you. Just sold my badlands 2200 and was in the market for a new high end pack was dead set on the exo 5500. Went to the expo with a open mind and visited all the booths and tried on the packs. Came down to the exo and kifaru and ended up ordering the kifaru muskeg as well. Thanks for the post nice to get some reassurance from someone as well.

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your kifaru funny enough I was in the same boat as you. Just sold my badlands 2200 and was in the market for a new high end pack was dead set on the exo 5500. Went to the expo with a open mind and visited all the booths and tried on the packs. Came down to the exo and kifaru and ended up ordering the kifaru muskeg as well. Thanks for the post nice to get some reassurance from someone as well.

Did you get yours? My wife thinks I'm a freak wandering the house with 60lbs of salt bags in my pack all day. It's by far the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Love it.

Did you get yours? My wife thinks I'm a freak wandering the house with 60lbs of salt bags in my pack all day. It's by far the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Love it.
No I haven't yet just ordered it couple days ago, looking forward to putting some weight in it and trying it out for sure.

Gli_ryan

FNG
That sucks about the stone glacier service. I bought one of their bags after getting what I felt was questionable service in the store. I’m not disappointed in the bag, I really like it, but the service in person felt awkward. On the phone and via email it was good though. I would buy the pack again.

I bought a couple kifaru pouches and found the quality to be great. Wish I could have tried one of those packs on.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Any reason why you didn't try any Mystery Ranch packs? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Any reason why you didn't try any Mystery Ranch packs? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I forgot to add any about them in there. A couple weeks before the expo I swung over by BlackOvis and tried on a few different ones. Great packs, no doubt. I don't know if I have a weird body type or what, but just couldn't get them to fit comfortably. I know the sales guy over there was planning on picking up one of the new ones MR is releasing soon. The only other reason is the weight seemed to be a little more towards the pack I sold, trying to cut that down even a little if possible.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Love my EXO 5500 pack. Heavy loads have been no issue on the K2 frame. Had a Kifaru pack before the EXO, had no issues with it either both packs were quality built and comfortable. it was tough spending the money but well worth it.