First handgun, what would you get?

Not really looking for concealment. I have looked into the hammerless 357 and the 10mm Glock. What do you prefer? I have shot several calibers but still unsure what to purchase. Thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I love the Heckler and Koch HK-45c. All of the H&J's are nice guns.

Smith and Wesson M&P's are nice if H&K is more than you want to spend.

I own 40 S&W and 45 ACP for simi auto. Like rifles, there are lots of good rounds.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you are most comfortable with. I personally have quite the glock collection for one reason only, I bought them at blue label pricing. That said I own a G29SF that I like a lot. I like the shorter barrel for a quicker draw and less weight but use it with a G20 mag with an Xgrip to fill in the space.

Trigger is great and its ate all the ammo I have given it without issue. It is snappy and will require some range time to be able to accurately and quickly place follow up shots.

OP
DarkArcher
Caliber is one thing, gun is something entirely different.

What are you going to use it for? Home defense? Hunting? Plinking? Do you reload? Budget?
Looking to spend around 700-1000. I would mainly use it out west elk hunting in Wyoming and Montana. I don’t reload.

You want revolver or a semiautomatic? What do you plan to spend? What is your plans for this gun?

I had a hammerless 38+p smith & Wesson 442 and didn’t like it. Hard long trigger pull all the time and it had a snap with +p Ammo. Sold it for a Glock 43 9mm and wouldn’t look back now.

The revolver I enjoy is a smith 686 357. It’s a 6” barrel and is fun to have with you. But a 3 or 4” would be better to carry.

Glock 19 9mm, HK vp9, or smith m&p compact would be what I would lead you to as a first handgun. Look up hickok45 on YouTube, he reviews those guns. I prefer the Glock 19 because it fits my hands and my other guns are glocks so they all function the same.

your going to get a lot of different answers.

a lot of good 10mm post on here if you search. @mcseal2 has a great thread on it. I have a Glock 20 10mm but only use it if in Alaska. Really only carry a 9mm in the lower 48.

good luck and keep us posted. Looks like some guns are hard to find because of the pending political state.

9mm or 357

gearguywb

WKR
So next question is: Revolver or Auto?

Pros/Cons: Any modern design double stack magazine auto, in large calibers (10mm, 45) have very large grips. The Glock 10MM and 45 are great examples of this. You may feel differently (and certainly the Glock fans do), but I think they have the ergonomics of a brick.

Medium caliber (40, etc) have much better ergonomics for a variety of users.

1911 platform guns, while certainly can be exceptional, are probably not the best choice for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience carrying a cocked and locked gun.

Revolver: They always work. Typically a good bit larger than a semi auto, but you can choose barrel length, etc.

Lots of good choices out there. Stick with major brands. Sig, Springfield Armory, SW, Walther, etc.

Agross

WKR
When I purchased my first handgun, I went with a S&W .40. I just liked the way it looked and felt in my hand alot more than the glock. Just don't care for glock, but there are a lot of people that love em. I think when I bought it, it was on sale and I got it for under $500. Ive been happy with it

Nutsknr

FNG
I have a tiger sp101 with 2.75” barrel. It’s a good backpack gun.

But in .357 it’s not a ton of fun to shoot.

So my advice if you aren’t concealing would be go bigger frame if .357 is what your looking for.

Also, with current conditions, 9mm and 45acp are harder to find ammo for, which is something to think about.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
The hammerless, dao 357 is basically intended as a self defense handgun. They're not fun to shoot on a regular basis, especially with 357 ammo. 38 special is much more comfortable, but still, not a plinker, range type gun.

I sell a lot of Glock 20s to guys going hunting in Grizzly country.... lightweight, and power approaching some 41 magnum loads (Underwood or Buffalo Bore, hard cast 220 grain lead), in a 16 round firearm. Not sure what your intended purpose is, but if it's bear protection, I'd go with the Glock 20, in a good holster, that I had instantly accessible, on a pack/hip/chest rig. The 2 firearms you mention are completely different animals, so your intended purpose makes a huge determination in your decision.

My first hand gun was s full frame Ruger p90 45 acp, like guys mentioned right now,like other times of buying panic 9mm&45auto are two of the first bought up, in my area I can still get both but you can't be choosy, I've been seeing 40s&w and 10mm along with the primary revolver rounds on shelves around the three states I work in on a weekly basis. I personally would be looking for a gun the fits my hands well in one of those easier to stock up on calibers at this point in time and get one of the more popular at a later date when this crud subsides.

bear protection = 10mm or 44. Can’t go wrong with a glock or an S&W revolver.

other uses, a 9mm or 357 are great. Once again you can’t go wrong with a glock or a revolver. Other semi autos like a sig p320 or a S&W M&P are good choices. Smith 686 is an heirloom quality revolver that can shoot 38 plinkers and hot 357 rounds.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This again goes into what your intended use is, but an H&K USP in 45 ACP, then get a second barrel and have it chambered to 460 Rowland. For most uses, carry it with the 45 barrel. For bear country, put the 460 in it.

This is a project I want to do. There are lots of reasons to go with other options for a first handgun though.

I like revolvers in the woods, so I'm not even sure a USP in 460 Rowland would replace my S&W Mountain Gun 44 or Ruger Toklat 454 (my wife told me the 44 was hers and I had to get a new gun, which explains the Ruger).

10mm is a great choice for bear if not wanting a revolver.

Not really looking for concealment. I have looked into the hammerless 357 and the 10mm Glock. What do you prefer? I have shot several calibers but still unsure what to purchase. Thanks!
I picked up a Glock 20 in 10mm during quarantine and I really like it. It’s going to be my Alaska pistol.