First ever sheep hunt in a couple weeks!!!

Mfloski

FNG
Headed to Dall Sheep hunt in AK in a couple weeks! My first ever sheep hunt and first AK hunt. Done back country elk in CO several times. Been training and I think my gear is solid. Any advise on odd gear items you may not normally think about or other first timer advice from anyone?

Congratulations. Good luck on your hunt. Which outfitter have you contracted with for your hunt and which unit are you hunting? Best of luck again, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

All that I can think of at this point of your sheep adventure, is good luck and follow your outfitter's advice between now and when you depart home. Have fun. It'll probably be wet.

Snyd

WKR
Headed to Dall Sheep hunt in AK in a couple weeks! My first ever sheep hunt and first AK hunt. Done back country elk in CO several times. Been training and I think my gear is solid. Any advise on odd gear items you may not normally think about or other first timer advice from anyone?
Have a great time. Soak in every moment of every moment in the Sheep Mountains. Before you know it you'll be on the plane headed back home.

Take some anti-diahrea and anti-nausea meds. If you get the squirts from either end and can't get a handle on it your hunt will be over.

bring some snacks and a first aid kit. When i did my dall hunt, i got lucky and had a first time guide. i was his first hunter. We ran out of food and i gave him my first aid kit to use when he cut himself. I actually had more expierence in the mountains of alaska than the guide did. The guide was a good guy, just zero expierence.

schmalzy

WKR

Sealskinz water proof socks were a clutch item for me. My guide brought me a pair. Had a couple of deeper creek crossings and they held up. Boots were soaked, but feet stayed mostly dry.

A million different opinions on the matter but having something for a siwash (borah bivy, maybe down booties, etc) could make a long night on the mountain a lot more enjoyable. @mtwarden would probably recommend the same haha. I was comfortable in down gear and rain shells but my feet were ice blocks and just couldn’t fall asleep.

Super excited for you. I day dream about going back all the time. Write down or record each day so you can relive it as times goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
I hunted brown bear with Cabot on the peninsula on 2019. We still talk multiple times a year. He works hard to put on a good hunt.

Hoping for success. Enjoy it all, it will go so fast. My advice would be to trust your outfitter/guide and keep your mental game sharp. Your mentality will give up long before the rest of your body will.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I talked to enough sheep hunters who had to spend an unexpected night out that the slight extra weight to be prepared for it seemed worth it.

After having to spend a night on the side of the mountain, I can with certainty it was worth it :ROFLMAO:

Headnet was worth bringing, all fraction of an ounce it weighed.

medvedyt

WKR
I talked to enough sheep hunters who had to spend an unexpected night out that the slight extra weight to be prepared for it seemed worth it.

After having to spend a night on the side of the mountain, I can with certainty it was worth it :ROFLMAO:

Headnet was worth bringing, all fraction of an ounce it weighed.
worth the weight of extra to read and think about it.

you are so right.