First Elk Trip

Hnthrdr

WKR
This isn't going to happen if us Resident hunters don't start making our voices heard to the commission. I watched the last meeting from last week in Craig (the discussion relevant to us starts around the 5 hour and 15 minute mark). Only one guy from CBA said anything in defense of Resident hunters and the next ten public comments were from outfitters fighting against any changes. No resident hunters provided comment. The commission was clearly through discussion only wanting to change the 3 year average for hybrid hunts to a more relevant 3 years than current and change the qualification from 6 point and more to 10 point and more.

They all seem adamantly opposed to limiting Non Resident hunters in OTC archery or to any changes to draw unit allocation. Staff recommended an 80/20 or 75/25 split but the commission seemed opposed and then the Outfitters really let them have it over making tag allocation changes because it will effect their businesses and effect the local economies so much.

Apparently Non residents spend way more money in the state in the week or two that they are here than I do in an entire year? Shoot I bring a lot of money to the local communities when I hunt their areas too. I'm tired of being disrespected by the commission. I intend to speak during public comment at the next meeting. I highly suggest any residents that read this make the time and speak also. We are getting drown out by the CPW lust for money, local business concerns, and outfitters. From the commissions perspective we must not care that much because we don't show up.

You can comment in person or via zoom I believe. The next meeting is November 17th and 18th and it looks like its in Gateway. I intend to comment via zoom. I think you have to signup, Ill make a post for it when the time comes. PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR!

If nothing comes from the commission, I intend to push my state reps to get on board with the legislation that was introduced last year. We have to push back by any means necessary and stop just complaining.
Thanks for the heads up! It sucks that they hold these meeting during archery and then during 3rd rifle… I will do my best to try and make it. I know there is a petition process that you can introduce measures that the commission votes on. I have been looking into that prior to my kiddo showing up and then it all went sideways

I have basically hunted OTC elk every year for the past 25 years. I have seen, been close to, and wished I had the right tag nearly every year. For me finding elk hasn't necessarily been the issue and I hunt units with lots of folks in it. I would rather spend a week hunting than wishing for "that" tag which takes years to draw. If nothing else I get a good workout and get to be away from the noise of the front range. The last draw tag I got was a total fluke. I applied figuring I'd never get the tag without any points and behold I drew, crazy. I will continue to hunt OTC every year and occasionally, if lucky again, get a draw tag.