First Elk Trip

jkilburg

FNG
Elk hunting can be humbling, that’s for sure.

Yesterday I returned with my friend Tyler from (7) Days in an CO OTC adventure. We saw some beautiful country, hiked 50 miles, and saw one elk which happened to be a 5x5 bull. We experienced the pressure of numerous hunters in one area, the heat of 95 degrees, the quietness of Colorado OTC units, and frustration that comes with all the above.

I spent countless hours on the phone, emailing, and e-scouting. But, that doesn’t matter when an area you think will be quieter gets absolutely hammered opening week by other hunters. It really showed me how the situation of unlimited OTC tags can stress a natural resource and alter elk behavior. It also stretched us as individuals to look for new ways/places to find elk. Ultimately, we had a blast, and we worked our butts off. We did walk away with a ton of good info - and a new appreciation for draw/lottery hunts. We certainly don’t need to shoot giants, but I think we’ll be focusing on quality of hunts from now on and less on the ability to hunt.

de6b8df4d6c0b7657b9981c80cb2f3be.jpg

5135f16f6914cfeeeb9ddf460c89a4d6.jpg

345a57e2198b72e41fca0bcfb0a9ae85.jpg

68f432ff1bb5d37479a0e38e8a55b637.jpg

e1655212d39129e2bd47b4d938a394b6.jpg

df04ae19526ea994492b980688017f96.jpg

030f6ba6829f2762b54510c57b187ec2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

…but I think we’ll be focusing on quality of hunts from now on and less on the ability to hunt.

This is how I have been feeling lately. I love to hunt and one of the biggest factors of a good hunt to me is the ability to be alone and not worried about other hunters. I lose a lot of the enjoyment of being out there when I’m dealing with other people.

I considered an otc tag this year because I only drew one hunt and it’s not until November. Instead I’m in CO now just enjoying myself and fishing. Nice being one of only 2 people at the resort and having the lake almost all to myself.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
CPW thanks you for your 700 dollar donation. Unfortunately they don’t care much about anything beyond the $$$. As a Colorado resident I don’t understand how guys justify 700 in tags, 1000 in gas, 500 in groceries, etc to hunt Colorado Otc. I’d give up elk hunting before playing that game as a NR! Or at least hunt 3-4 states and plan on hunting every 3 years for quality hunts.

Jbehredt

WKR
^ Testify! I’m feeling short changed this year and I’m only out $57. I actually tried to research what happened in Minnesota this year to lead so many people to hunt my area. Had to be a local news story or something. 4 times as many hunters as I’ve ever seen and a good 60% from Minnesota. Discouraged. My wife isn’t even planning on going next week it was so bad last week. We’re thinking it’s time to cash in our CO points and throw in the towel in this state. We’ve seen more bears than elk. And heard exactly 8 elk sounds. All human.

My options are:
1. Hunt whitetails from a tree
2. Hunt Colorado otc every year

It’s an expensive ass camping trip, but I sure do prefer it to sitting perfectly still while staring at an industrial pine plantation.

I know NR hunters are the literal worst, shouldn’t be on your land, and are the root cause of all problems in CO, but I’m in til they shut it down.

I’d move, but my wife likes her family for some reason.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My options are:

It’s an expensive ass camping trip, but I sure do prefer it to sitting perfectly still, looking at an industrial pine plantation, and letting the skeeters eat me alive in December.

I know NR hunters are the literal worst, shouldn’t be on your land, and are the root cause of all problems in CO, but I’m in til they shut it down.

I guess…but august in Colorado is beautiful, way cheaper, and less crowded, and the fishing is great in the high mountain lakes!

To each their own but I’d much rather play the game in multiple states and have better quality hunts, even if it means I don’t get to blow a couple grand and a weeks vacation to take my bow for a hike in the woods! And not all NR are bad, just any nonresident over the 20% the state should be capping NR at. 😉

Laramie

WKR
You only get so many years of health and the ability to hunt the high country. Go as much as you can while you can. People shoot bulls in those OTC areas. Apply what you learned and get back out there.

Yes… E-mailing, E-Scouting aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. I know areas that look like elk paradise on maps and online. They have it all. But no elk. Meanwhile 2-3 drainages away it’s elk city. Gotta go there to know for sure. Think outside the box when it comes to picking your area. Go there stay there and learn it.

When you say “draw or lottery hunts” what do you mean? Are you talking limited quota units you’ll ne lucky to hunt in 8-10 years? You should just look at the general licenses in Montana and Wyoming. Getting away from people there isn’t hard at all.

Glad you had fun. You have to start somewhere. I’m sure you learned a few things about hiking and hunting in the mountains. Just think how much smarter you’ll be next time.

Last edited:

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
My options are:

It’s an expensive ass camping trip, but I sure do prefer it to sitting perfectly still while staring at an industrial pine plantation.

I donated my 700$ as well but I loved every minute of it. I hated to come home. I did get within bow range on two legal bulls in 8 days so that’s better than nothing. I hunted solo and it’s more about the experience than anything else. After hunting Idaho and Utah the previous three years OTC Colorado was an eye opener. I did call in Ryan from Wisconsin though😁. Super nice kid.

Marble

WKR
I've found that learning an area and finding where the animals live, move, hide, they're general pattern, gives me a lot more success. I've only hunted in one draw unit for for elk the last 20 plus years, this year is my second year, and I've probably killed 25 bulls in the OTC units. When you learn an area, you learn where they will be when they aren't where you think they should be.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
Yes… E-mailing, E-Scouting aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. I know areas that look like elk paradise on maps and online. They have it all. But no elk. Meanwhile 2-3 drainages away it’s elk city. Gotta go there to know for sure. Think outside the box when it comes to picking your area. Go there stay there and learn it.

When you say “draw or lottery hunts” what do you mean? Are you talking limited quota units you’ll ne lucky to hunt in 8-10 years? You should just look at the general licenses in Montana and Wyoming. Getting away from people there isn’t hard at all.

Glad you had fun. You have to start somewhere. I’m sure you learned a few things about hiking and hunting in the mountains. Just think how much smarter you’ll be next time.

I’m referring to draw hunts which take 1-3 pts, like Wyoming Or Montana General Licenses. I’ll apply for LE licenses too, but I’d rather not deal with the flood of people in OTC units. It really takes the enjoyment out of the hunt.

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
CPW thanks you for your 700 dollar donation. Unfortunately they don’t care much about anything beyond the $$$. As a Colorado resident I don’t understand how guys justify 700 in tags, 1000 in gas, 500 in groceries, etc to hunt Colorado Otc. I’d give up elk hunting before playing that game as a NR! Or at least hunt 3-4 states and plan on hunting every 3 years for quality hunts.

That’s more of the plan - every 3yrs vs. every year.

3forks

WKR
That’s more of the plan - every 3yrs vs. every year.

If you like to ski, come back out this winter after your hunt.

Just like with CPW and OTC, our ski areas offer cheap and unlimited season passes to attract as many skiers to their mountain as possible.

Attachments

• 1BBAB82C-C83B-421E-B238-CB2E58D1B9CB.jpeg
    1BBAB82C-C83B-421E-B238-CB2E58D1B9CB.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 71
  • C1FF2058-4A73-403C-B30C-941F7B2066E9.png
    C1FF2058-4A73-403C-B30C-941F7B2066E9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 1513FE19-3517-4E8D-A441-B83D92E6F329.png
    1513FE19-3517-4E8D-A441-B83D92E6F329.png
    465.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Bearsears

WKR
^ This!

^ Testify! I’m feeling short changed this year and I’m only out $57. I actually tried to research what happened in Minnesota this year to lead so many people to hunt my area. Had to be a local news story or something. 4 times as many hunters as I’ve ever seen and a good 60% from Minnesota. Discouraged. My wife isn’t even planning on going next week it was so bad last week. We’re thinking it’s time to cash in our CO points and throw in the towel in this state. We’ve seen more bears than elk. And heard exactly 8 elk sounds. All human.
In the unit I was in they were all from Wisconsin. Even in the the draw unit I was in last year all Wisconsin. Its always Wisconsin. Why WHYYY? lol
If you like to ski, come back out this winter after your hunt.

Just like with CPW and OTC, our ski areas offer cheap season and unlimited season passes to attract as many skiers to their mountain as possible.
This is pretty much why I have quit snowboarding. That and because Vail Resorts has become the Bass Pro Shops of Ski resort company's. They've bought everything, jacked up the prices to a ridiculous price and provide a crappier product.

TheViking

WKR

I'm a Colorado resident as well. I have hunted out of state the last 4 years in a row. This will be the 2nd time in Montana, and twice in Wyoming. The cost of the NR elk tag stings a little versus the $55 or whatever it is, but all the hunts have been pretty awesome. We have gotten into low point units - WAY less people, way more elk, way better overall hunting experience. I have filled 2 out of 3 tags so far, leaving on Thursday for 10 days in Montana to hopefully make that 3 out of 4.

If I were a NR of Colorado, I would have a really hard time paying for NR tag here in CO for an OTC tag. My buddies that hunt OTC in my normal unit do pretty well, but I know that's not on par with the normal experience.

Colorado is all about the money (not surprised), MT and WY are managed much better, as far as ratio of R vs NR tags. I really hope this changes in CO during the next 5 year plan - sad that I don't even want to hunt my own state.

Jethro6x6

FNG
Danm thats kinda depressing,,,hunted co ,, been a,while,,,, we do only have so many years, say my over 60 knees an hips,, just wait an see,,,,

Hnthrdr

WKR
I feel you man, I think it’s time the state jacks prices on NR up, heck I’d be willing to pay more as a res if it meant we could get a little breathing room and let elk act like elk. I’m looking forward to the 80/20 draw unit split that is coming or even 75/25. Time to burn points and hunt 0/1 pointers from here on out

Hnthrdr

WKR
I guess…but august in Colorado is beautiful, way cheaper, and less crowded, and the fishing is great in the high mountain lakes!

To each their own but I’d much rather play the game in multiple states and have better quality hunts, even if it means I don’t get to blow a couple grand and a weeks vacation to take my bow for a hike in the woods! And not all NR are bad, just any nonresident over the 20% the state should be capping NR at. 😉
Exactly 20% for general, 10% or 5% for units over 5 points. That would do wonders for residents

Bearsears

WKR
I feel you man, I think it’s time the state jacks prices on NR up, heck I’d be willing to pay more as a res if it meant we could get a little breathing room and let elk act like elk. I’m looking forward to the 80/20 draw unit split that is coming or even 75/25. Time to burn points and hunt 0/1 pointers from here on out

Exactly 20% for general, 10% or 5% for units over 5 points. That would do wonders for residents

This isn't going to happen if us Resident hunters don't start making our voices heard to the commission. I watched the last meeting from last week in Craig (the discussion relevant to us starts around the 5 hour and 15 minute mark). Only one guy from CBA said anything in defense of Resident hunters and the next ten public comments were from outfitters fighting against any changes. No resident hunters provided comment. The commission was clearly through discussion only wanting to change the 3 year average for hybrid hunts to a more relevant 3 years than current and change the qualification from 6 point and more to 10 point and more.

They all seem adamantly opposed to limiting Non Resident hunters in OTC archery or to any changes to draw unit allocation. Staff recommended an 80/20 or 75/25 split but the commission seemed opposed and then the Outfitters really let them have it over making tag allocation changes because it will effect their businesses and effect the local economies so much.

Apparently Non residents spend way more money in the state in the week or two that they are here than I do in an entire year? Shoot I bring a lot of money to the local communities when I hunt their areas too. I'm tired of being disrespected by the commission. I intend to speak during public comment at the next meeting. I highly suggest any residents that read this make the time and speak also. We are getting drown out by the CPW lust for money, local business concerns, and outfitters. From the commissions perspective we must not care that much because we don't show up.

You can comment in person or via zoom I believe. The next meeting is November 17th and 18th and it looks like its in Gateway. I intend to comment via zoom. I think you have to signup, Ill make a post for it when the time comes. PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR!

If nothing comes from the commission, I intend to push my state reps to get on board with the legislation that was introduced last year. We have to push back by any means necessary and stop just complaining.