First elk hunt

Just finished my first elk hunt and ended up doing solo archery in CO. I didn’t get one, but it was definitely a spot I will go back to. I did happen to get a good look at a bull elk about 100 yards away, side hilling through the woods. As embarrassing as it is, I thought it was a horse walking through the woods at first glance. Haha. Now for my questions, since I really had barely any knowledge of elk hunting outside of reading about it and watching videos. There were also cattle around, but I swear I found a couple spots that were covered in elk poop and rubs. Do you guys usually focus on these areas for a day or 2, or do you just keep it in mind and hunt the surrounding area, trying to find them instead of waiting for them to come back into there? And tell me if you all think this one pic is an elk wallow. Again, there were cattle around this spot, but there was also elk poop all over and rubs on trees like crazy around here. There appeared to be a rub and elk poop right next to this mud hole also. Thanks for any input and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    805.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 54

Gerbdog

WKR
Sure looks like a wallow ... but .... not one thats being used currently. I see moss and grass growing near the water.... and its not covered in splashed mud all around it.

Certainly rubs you have photo'd ... could be a nice mule deer or could be elk, some say they can tell by the height of where its at on the tree but unless its at 6 ft i dont know if i can tell ever. Beware porcupine chews as well, the one with your hand on it could be a porcupine. Could be a rub.

I dont pay attention to any of it though... unless the elk is standing there creating the rub i'm moving through the area looking for elk... you asked if im staying in an area or moving and the answer is im always moving.... i'm always looking for actual elk and not a ton on the sign. If i find a wallow thats being actively used i'll mark it and i may use it to sit a day when im exhausted from hunting hard for a couple of days.

The cattle in the area are no matter. This year on the morning i killed that bull i got fooled into a black cow that was kicking a log for some reason... i had a bear tag and thought i had found the biggest black bear in the world haha. For a moment anyway.... eventually logic kicked in.... but just up the mountain from that moo cow i found the bull so i dont think theyre gonna be standing shoulder to shoulder but they tolerate eachother in the area.

glad you saw an elk on your first outting! more than many can say. My buddies on his second year in Wyoming (resident) and is complaining about not getting an elk after being in bugling elk for a week and a half and is still finding bugling elk in other areas near his house.... told him he's spoiled and doesnt have the perspective of how tough elk hunting can be yet

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
If I find rubs etc I wouldn't say I focus on that area, but certainly it's a place to start trying to figure out why they like that area, how they access it and how they exit it. I feel like an area that has a good amount of rubs both old and new is obviously somewhere they feel comfortable and there is a reason why. likley you'll find water and bedding areas pretty close. I hunt elk that are really pressured and try and find the holes they get pushed into and just hang out in until the pressure goes down. Once I find sign I know that they are close in that area and it's just a matter of finding the best way to hunt it in regard to wind, access, shooting lanes etc. Rest assured though, if you make four plans of action, the other 3 that you didn't use were likely correct and the one you chose only proves you know nothing... at least that's my experience.

The cattle in the area are no matter. This year on the morning i killed that bull i got fooled into a black cow that was kicking a log for some reason... i had a bear tag and thought i had found the biggest black bear in the world haha. For a moment anyway.... eventually logic kicked in.... but just up the mountain from that moo cow i found the bull so i dont think theyre gonna be standing shoulder to shoulder but they tolerate eachother in the area.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago in a fairly heavily grazed area. A bull elk bugling on the other side of my drainage. I cut the distance down a little draw and see a flash of tan hide through the trees. "Oh shit, he's right here!" Draw my bow and step out. Big Charolais bull all caked in mud at like 10 yards. He was as surprised to see me as I was him. That thing has no idea how close he came to getting stuck.