First Bull!!

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Packed in about 6.5 miles and up 5000ft the night before the season started. Hiked the remaining 1.5 miles to my glassing spot opening morning. Saw him pushing 9 cows across a ridge. Couldn't cut them off due to wind. Followed them for 3 hours when they dropped into a super deep timbered valley. Took my chance to leap frog them and post up on a big granite flow. Let out a few cow calls and the bull went wild. Buging and crashing all over the timber. He came to the edge of the timber I was on at about 70 yards. Didnt have a shot since he was looking right at me. He dropped back into the timber and started pushing his cows up and out of the canyon. Still didn't have a shot since they were walking straight away. He finally turned to sniff a cow giving me a very slight quartering away shot. I let one rip from the .270 from 394 yards and could hear it was a solid hit. The cows all looked nervous but didn't run. The bull took 5 steps and tipped over. The next three days were spent packing out meat and a little bone not a bad first bull. If his main beam wasn't busted he would probably tape out to be a 340 six point

Attachments

• elk2.jpg
    elk2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 419
  • elk1.jpg
    elk1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 407
  • elk3.jpg
    elk3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 372
OP
martin_shooter

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Guys. FYI it is in Idaho with an OTC general season tag. Moved to Idaho two years ago and last year was my first season chasing elk. Chased them last year with the bow and passed on some smaller bulls I should have taken. Unfortunately this year I wasn't able to hunt the archery season at all but am sure looking forward to it next year. Was in by myself and once the bull was on the ground there sure was alot of learning!

slick

WKR
Matt? Is that you by chance? I'm sending you a pm! Awesome dood!

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
The smile says it all man! That hunt sounds like an emotional roller coaster waiting to get the shot. Way to go on some delicious meat and some nice antlers to keep the memory alive forever.

Packed in about 6.5 miles and up 5000ft the night before the season started. Hiked the remaining 1.5 miles to my glassing spot opening morning. Saw him pushing 9 cows across a ridge. Couldn't cut them off due to wind. Followed them for 3 hours when they dropped into a super deep timbered valley. Took my chance to leap frog them and post up on a big granite flow. Let out a few cow calls and the bull went wild. Buging and crashing all over the timber. He came to the edge of the timber I was on at about 70 yards. Didnt have a shot since he was looking right at me. He dropped back into the timber and started pushing his cows up and out of the canyon. Still didn't have a shot since they were walking straight away. He finally turned to sniff a cow giving me a very slight quartering away shot. I let one rip from the .270 from 394 yards and could hear it was a solid hit. The cows all looked nervous but didn't run. The bull took 5 steps and tipped over. The next three days were spent packing out meat and a little bone not a bad first bull. If his main beam wasn't busted he would probably tape out to be a 340 six point

Nice bull!! What grain of bullet were you shooting? Congrats man.