First big gear purchase?

I already had a custom rifle (not that fancy, but shoots amazing) but that wasn't really for backpack hunting at the time due to its weight. Plus I already had suppressors but those aren't a hunting-exclusive thing either. So I'd probably say my Swaro binos were my first big purchase followed shortly by my RRS TFCT-34L tripod. Both worth their weight in gold for me.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
My first time out west I carried a spotter and a pair of 10x42 bins on my chest. I learned real quick when carrying that spotter all day and the extra added weight with all the other gear. Tent,bag etc. First thing I did when I came home was buy a pair of Leupold BX-5 12x50. Ill never carry that spotter again when doing a spike camp.

repins05

WKR
not counting rifle and scope - my first large purchase was a pair of swaro el bino’s.

TaperPin

WKR
Many early season animals have been taken by guys wearing nothing but jeans and tennis shoes, shooting a borrowed rifle.

With FB Marketplace, Craigslist and eBay it’s relatively easy to go cheap on essentially everything. Boots can be the hardest thing to find used, but just yesterday I only paid $65 for $350 boots, so that’s no longer true.

The first thing someone should spend money on is an accurate .22 lr rifle and a lot of ammo - try to keep enough ammo on hand you never feel the need to ration it. Buy a variety of swinger targets of various shapes and sizes and keep it fun. 1/5 scale silhouette targets shot offhand will teach you better trigger pull - if you’re a good shot, but don’t practice it will be hard to hit 4 out of 10. Regular practice will double that. 9 out 10 makes you competitive locally at matches.

10F2B2DC-9CC2-4237-9EA1-0C091225CBD0.png488FE7D1-1046-4E2C-B7F9-94CA9BC22614.jpeg

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was a browning x bolt western hunter. Followed by my binos and harness. Then it spiraled out of control shortly after that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVan

FNG
My first big purchase was a Savage .243 rifle when I was 18 years old. That was 40 years ago and it is still my favorite rifle to this day.