First aid suggestions

dtrkyman

WKR
Search for the meat eater podcast with the doctor where they talk about using tourniquets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Search for the meat eater podcast with the doctor where they talk about using tourniquets!

care to enlighten us. i don't do podcasts but am curious. having used them for work and in field i find them invaluable in the right situations.

Button

WKR
I have some pain killers in mine in case of a bad injury(one requiring hospitalization). At least provide some relief until you can get to a hospital. Think broken limbs and back/neck injuries.

Button

WKR
Quality medical tapes are excellent. I have a couple different types. I’ll have to look at what exactly one of them is but it’s heavy duty. The other is 3M Micropore tape, with sticks very well when making a man-aid for cuts.

dtrkyman

WKR
care to enlighten us. i don't do podcasts but am curious. having used them for work and in field i find them invaluable in the right situations.

He highly recommended an actual tourniquet, not improvising one, also said most are not put on tight enough and chances of an amputation due to the tourniquet are not as likely as one would think.

I am no doc or expert, it’s worth a listen, episode 192…bleeding out

Sled

WKR
He highly recommended an actual tourniquet, not improvising one, also said most are not put on tight enough and chances of an amputation due to the tourniquet are not as likely as one would think.

I am no doc or expert, it’s worth a listen, episode 192…bleeding out

I agree with that statement. Thanks

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet)
SAM splint
Tylenol
Benadryl
Eye rinse
Liquid sutures (crazy glue)
Anti-biotic ointment
Band aides
Bandages/dressings
Medical tape
Mole skin or similar
Tweezers (think splinter removal)
To this add a small irrigation syringe for flushing a cut with clean water. Pretty cheap at the local pharmacy. Look on the web for a Stop The Bleed class. Have an awesome trip!

WRM

WKR
I carry a medical grade stapler (sterile pre packed). Extreme, perhaps, but not for your trip, IMO.

Benzoin compound. Nothing sticks well to skin in field conditions. Wipe skin first with this and watch a bandage stick to you then. Also good in lieu of band aid for minor cuts or abrasions. Like New Skin on steroids.

Do not over look the danger of an infection and sepsis, as noted above. Just lost my mother in law to severe sepsis. It happens quick, and you can become severely disoriented and incoherent. You do not want to get in that state on a backcountry trip.

WRM

WKR
Something like metronidazole, I’ve seen a lot of people ruin their trip/waders with gastrointestinal issues.

I take a generous amount of activated charcoal. It'll clear most things up. Not a bad idea to take it daily for good measure (unless you are on prescription meds).

Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) also a good alternative.