Firing pin or ammo?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Best friend is out on a 4th rifle tag, just missed a monster 2x2… I’m out of state on vacation with the fam. He is shooting a t3 in .270, hornady sst’s 140grn, 3 light strikes on three different rounds. Gun never fired. He is headed home to test another box, thoughts on if it’s a bad firing pin or bad primers? I told him to get another rifle out of my safe but needless to say he is pretty bummed
Anyone had similar issues ?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the bolt dirty? Some guns, if the firing pin is dirty it can slow down enough to light strike.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d bet he has grease or oil on the pin/assembly. Tikkas are meant to be run dry, especially in cold conditions. Pull the firing pin, hammer it with some brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol, dry it off and try again.

Sometimes long aftermarket bolt handles and gloves can cause some issues with the bolt being slightly raised, which can also cause this.

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Spot on, fired correctly at the indoor range, my guess is the sub freezing temps caused the packing grease to gum the firing pin enough to cause the light strikes. Shitty lesson to learn mid season but a valuable one I guess. Buddy archery hunts 98% of the time so the gun has seen very light use since it was bought well over a decade ago. Hopefully the Buck or another shooter can get turned up again tomorrow… I’m bummed cause I would have loved to have seen it. 2x2 wider than his ears and twice as tall with decent mass sounds awesome