Fire starting...lighters.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I like lighters. I've never been a smoker but have always liked Zippos and others. What's new out there that works well and is reliable. On a side note, I sure miss Ohio Blue Tip matches.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

+1 for bid with some back up bics and some backup to the back up with matches.

I probably have 2-3 bics on me in the woods plus some matches squirreled away. I have done the zippo thing and mini torches and strikers and whatever. They weren’t worth the trouble.

boom

WKR
There is a new player in town. I’m trying to find one.

It’s the Clipper lighter. Cheap like Bic. But refillable and the flint comes out for replacement. Big ass non adjustable flame.

I head our local headshops sell them, but I don’t frequent those types of stores b

rayporter

WKR
bic and trioxane- but in the rain if you hand is wet the spark wheel gets wet and wont work. if you get esbit instead of trioxane you have to keep a flame to the tablet a lot longer to light it.

carry a piezo ignition lighter for the back to the back up for the times you hands are wet.

KHNC

WKR
get some tampons and a magnesium striker. Starts almost instantly and never wears out. Sure i like having a lighter, but if it gets wet its not very good. Or if it runs out of fuel. Just keep tampons in a ziplok and you are good to go in minutes.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
get some tampons and a magnesium striker. Starts almost instantly and never wears out. Sure i like having a lighter, but if it gets wet its not very good. Or if it runs out of fuel. Just keep tampons in a ziplok and you are good to go in minutes.

Almost this. Cotton balls coated with vasoline. Magnesium striker and these = instant fire.

ChrisAU

WKR
We used the cotton balls with vaseline last week for the first time and wow. You kinda had to strike the lighter within a few feet of one, but if you could coordinate that then you had 10 minutes of fire to dry out wood. We had a soaking overnight drizzle and had a fire going the next morning within a few minutes. Thoroughly amazed.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I was bored one day, made my own fire starters: dryer lint packed into a egg carton cup, soaked in parafin wax. Burns with a good flame for 12-15 mins, enough time to get fire going with kindling.

I carry two bic lights and a swedish fire steel, maybe even a magnesium block in my FA kit too...

elkchsr

FNG
I was bored one day, made my own fire starters: dryer lint packed into a egg carton cup, soaked in parafin wax. Burns with a good flame for 12-15 mins, enough time to get fire going with kindling.

I carry two bic lights and a swedish fire steel, maybe even a magnesium block in my FA kit too...

Drier lint works great unless you wash a lot of FR clothing.

jmez

WKR
Dryer lint does work well as long as it is with cotton clothes. Lint from polyester doesn't burn.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
lip balm can sub for Vaseline. Lip balm is a good item that can do 2 jobs.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
In the back pocket of my ACG harness I keep one of those individual RemOil wipes, not for wiping down my rifle in the middle of the hunt although you certainly could, but they burn for quite a few minutes. Takes up no space and no mess either. I do the Vaseline and cottonballs as well, but they're in the pack.

To the OP, I'm with you on the Blue Tips.

I think survival/Prepper wackos have made too much of fire. I just don't see it as that important if you have a backpack full of gear with you. I no longer bring the backup to backups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love starting fires. I wouldn’t consider myself a wacko though. I just like building fires. It’s more of a bushcraft thing than a prepper thing. I don’t have any suggestions for any cool new lighters. My lighters usually consist of the bic minis like the other guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I think survival/Prepper wackos have made too much of fire. I just don't see it as that important if you have a backpack full of gear with you. I no longer bring the backup to backups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No kidding. Last time I went on a late season NM hunt, I brought a small road flare in my pack. I’m not dicking with a greasy cotton ball and Ferro rod. I had the emergency fire covered. :)

rayporter

WKR
ha
I too have carried the road flare-on river floats.

once on a float that had a lot of rain I went through a bag of cotton balls and got no fire till I brought out the trioxane.

never again will I carry the cotton balls.