Finishing

Well it didn’t pan out. I closed within 150 yards and he was bedded by himself in some blowdown timber. It was next to impossible to put a sneak on him due to the openness of the thinned out blowdown. He knew he was safe being able to see in every direction but still had enough cover from his bed. He would bugle to my soft cow calls. I continued to hit the cow calls but he wouldn’t budge. The thermals were starting to switch and cause the winds to swirl so I started raking some brush to get his attention. After a couple attempts I hit the bugle in hopes of a last ditch effort before the winds got me. He wanted nothing to do with my calls. Regardless it was a great hunt and can’t wait to get back out in a couple weeks. I did go back after him the following day but wasn’t able to dial in his location. Believe he moved into some higher elevation. Hopefully since I never spooked him and he didn’t catch my wind he sticks around the basin and I can get another crack at him. 🤞

Well it didn’t pan out. I closed within 150 yards and he was bedded by himself in some blowdown timber. It was next to impossible to put a sneak on him due to the openness of the thinned out blowdown. He knew he was safe being able to see in every direction but still had enough cover from his bed. He would bugle to my soft cow calls. I continued to hit the cow calls but he wouldn’t budge. The thermals were starting to switch and cause the winds to swirl so I started raking some brush to get his attention. After a couple attempts I hit the bugle in hopes of a last ditch effort before the winds got me. He wanted nothing to do with my calls. Regardless it was a great hunt and can’t wait to get back out in a couple weeks. I did go back after him the following day but wasn’t able to dial in his location. Believe he moved into some higher elevation. Hopefully since I never spooked him and he didn’t catch my wind he sticks around the basin and I can get another crack at him.

You get in that close then you use a slow play sequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get in that close then you use a slow play sequence.

I tried the slow play sequence more or less but had to try a more aggressive tactic when the evening thermals and winds started to change. It was my last evening of the hunt so was pulling out all the stops short of busting him out. Hopefully in two weeks he is around and still fired up. Try and get him to slip up

I would stop the bugles once you know where he is. Play the wind and see where they are moving after they get up from bedding down. Ambush them when they are moving to feed and use the soft mews if needed.

I know this is a dead thread, just hoping Elkfitness will see it. I am unable to access my old Forum name (Hardstalk) and am interested in a pack you have/had for sale. I also cant reply in the classifieds until I post 10x on this forum name.. Ive sent Ryan an email just waiting for the response. Interested in the MR Popup you had listed. Let me know if its still available. [email protected] Not sure I can even get Pm's / Dm's with this account yet. Thanks!

Back