Finishing

I have been chasing a herd bull the past two days and haven’t been able to seal the deal. He has been bugling and has some hot cows with him. Had him at 120 yards yesterday and 200 today. He answers my bugles but doesn’t seem to get overly excited and doesn’t bat an eye at my cow calls. It seems like a couple of his cows are always on there feet and they don’t stay in one bed for more than an hour. Anyone have any ideas or tactics? I’m solo and having trouble closing the distance before they move on. Tried raking after a bugle but the heavy rain didn’t really help matters. Figured I would pick the brains of my fellow roksliders as I dry my clothes and pack for morning

Check out the ElkNut’s breeding sequence. Sounds like the bull doesn’t want to leave his cows so try and make him believe you are a hot cow.

Would love to hear ElkNuts take on this one! Sounds like a breeding sequence situation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remi Warren recently covered this topic and a strategy he used while guiding.

Love the Remy pod already. He just put out a new one today that could also be helpful. It's about using non-vocal sounds to entice a bull in.

I think a lot of people get hung up on always trying to call. Although it makes it fun to hunt, herd bulls are always going to never( for the most part) leave their cows to come to you, especially if it's a hot cow. PATIENCE is the key, he will slip up soon or later. I would dog them, but don't push it and wait for the right opportunity. A lot of people lack discipline and go gun ho, which works sometimes. But if you look at some of the top killers, they wait and wait till the right opportunity arises to make a move.

Two things that have worked for me bust his cows up ie get between him and his cows and give some come and get me mews very soft the more fun approach get in close not sure of your cover give him the aggressive rake scream run in and get ready good luck...last option get someone with you and you learn his travel route get ahead of him and have them call and pushes his cows by you as you wait let the chess game begin

I would stop the bugles once you know where he is. Play the wind and see where they are moving after they get up from bedding down. Ambush them when they are moving to feed and use the soft mews if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man i have been in your boots, numerous times. frustrating, but i believe the advice above is most applicable. Its way easier said than done though since they cover so much ground so quickly but this is what i have given me the best opportunities

Good Luck!.

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you got.

You know how to find him now.

Play the wind and slip in. He'll get up. Be SUPER aware that the wind will change 97 times just to keep you on edge.

Ninja your way in silent. Pattern his movement and be there when they come by. Calling doesn't kill big bulls unless you are very very lucky.

Two things that have worked for me bust his cows up ie get between him and his cows and give some come and get me mews very soft the more fun approach get in close not sure of your cover give him the aggressive rake scream run in and get ready good luck...last option get someone with you and you learn his travel route get ahead of him and have them call and pushes his cows by you as you wait let the chess game begin

We "busted up" a small herd by accident one year and it turns out that's what lead us to getting the bull. One guy jumped them and they took off in all directions. A couple hours later he was still trying to get his girls back and we were able to call him in. We do this with henned up tom turkeys as well. Just have to be careful you don't scatter them too far.

I'm not expert, but doesn't Jacobsen usually advocate for challenge calls?

If you're dead set on this bull, its going to take some time and patience no matter how you choose to pursue him. Just don't ever blow it and let them wind you so maybe shadow that herd until you get that nice mid-morning thermal switch. You'll then have (hopefully) several hours of consistent wind while there bedded.

I just recently heard Corey say something like: "if I'm at a restaurant and a person comes in and starts being obnoxious at the door, I'll promptly leave out a separate door. But if he quietly comes over to my table and then starts being obnoxious right in front of my wife and me; then there's going to be a confrontation." If you're going to try and call him from cows, you must be a very close and imminent threat (i.e. ninja your way within no more 100 yards I think he'd say) if you want to try and challenge call a big bull in like that.

Ninja stalking all the way in is a little less complicated but can be really hard when you now gotta evade all of the eyes and ears of his entire harem as well.

Best of luck, hope to see a picture of this bull from you.

Back