Finding a starting point

BigDog00

WKR
I'm getting ready to start load development on a 300 WSM 24" 1:9. I'm planning to start out with RL26 and Berger 180gr Elite Hunters. Berger has published data with a 69.0gr starting point (72.8 max). However, I saw where Speer has a 61.8gr starting point (68.3 max) with their 180 gr bullets. That's a huge difference. I've seen some recipes online where guys are using 68ish for final loads. I'm a bit leery of using the Berger data since it seems high. Am I overthinking this? Does anyone have quickload they could run for me or have experience with this combo?

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
It never hurts to be safe and start lower. My guess is that they have a smaller bearing surface than the speer.

I run them in a 308, but with a long mag and throat, I can put a little more umph behind them before I see pressure.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Use the data published by the bullet manufacturer. Different bullets have different shapes and end up having different amounts of bullet in the case. If you're using the berger bullets, use the berger data

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the data in quick load. The speer starting load(hell, even their max) is extremely conservative. With a load of 96 gains they're all (there's 5 speer 180's listed) below 50k psi and most around the 40k area. The berger doesn't start to hit max CIP pressure until 74 grains, so it is closer to a true "max" load, but even at their max, there's enough wiggle room for primer and temperature differences and still be under max pressure.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
That’s weird. I’ve found Berger’s info to be pretty close for pressure. They’re really good about answering the phone and giving data. If they don’t have it they send it to the test guys and usually have it in a week or 2. Pressure always seems close, fps can vary.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
That’s weird. I’ve found Berger’s info to be pretty close for pressure. They’re really good about answering the phone and giving data. If they don’t have it they send it to the test guys and usually have it in a week or 2. Pressure always seems close, fps can vary.
Yeah, the berger was the closest to actual starting and max loads, at least where I start and end when I use quick loads to get my data, just a tad more conservative than I am though, I'm sure because of lawyers