Find Me a Spotting Scope

tracker12

WKR
I am looking for a spotter for range work and a once a year western hunt that I usually do. With so little use I do not want to have a $2000+ pice sitting in the safe. My thought is to look for a good quality older spotter than will serve my purposes without a large investment. First it has to be an Angled spotter at preferably 65ish size. Brands would be Swaro, Leica or Kowa. I have had a SWARO ATM 65 (that I should not have sold) and a KOWA not sure the model (that I also should not have sold). Never a Leica but I have heard good things about the 62 televed APO. I like to spend $1300 and under. What older brands/models would you recommend.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the Revic S65A. We have this in an open box for only $1,199.99
Features:
  • Fixed magnification 18X reticle eyepiece
  • Included variable magnification 22-45X eyepiece
  • Made in Japan
  • Included carry/travel case
  • Neoprene scope cover
  • Eyepiece cap covers
  • Integrated sunshade
  • Windage and elevation correction reticle
  • Spotting grid
  • MOA ranging scale
  • MIL ranging scale
  • 65mm objective
  • Extra low dispersion glass
  • Enhanced multi layered anti-reflection coating
  • Anti-fog coating
  • Anti-scratch coating
  • Phase correction coating
  • Weight: 54 Ounces
    • Objective Lens: 43 Ounces
    • Fixed Eyepiece: 11 Ounces
    • Varable Zoom Eyepiece: 12 Ounces

kota

FNG
Meopta make a darn good spotter as well. The Cabelas instinct was a rebranded meopta and you might be able to find a used one for a little less. Those were 82mm though.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I have several you may be interested in within your budget Kowa TSN 554 OOPS you want angled how's about a Leupold SX5 Santiam 27x55x80 angled which is clearer than Tract Toric and Vortex Razor counterparts. Extremely eye friendly in fact way more eye friendly than Swarovski ST 80 I sold and took a huge loss on.

If you looking for cheap and ridiculously great for cheap I got a SVBONY ED 16-48x65 equivalent to the Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 angled for $225 plus shipping and insurance. Literally neck and neck compared to my Vortex Razor HD Gen 1.

Haven’t looked through one before but the athalon areas G2 gets great reviews for a $600 spotter. Or a used razor is hard to beat

Swaro is good too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
As much as I like my Leupold scopes I am not a fan of there spotters especially there foreign produced product. Leupold recently sent me there 15-30X 50 GR as a replacement for my old straight 25 GR spotter that they would not repair. I was not impressed and sold it.

Good info on the Meopta. I have a couple of there scopes the same ones they made for Zeiss Conquest and are very good.

Last edited:
As much as I like my Leupold scopes I am not a fan of there spotters especially there foreign produced product. Leupold recently sent me there 15-30X 50 GR as a replacement for my old straight 25 GR spotter that they would not repair. I was not impressed and sold it.

Good info on the Meopta. I have a couple of there scopes the same ones they made for Zeiss Conquest and are very good.

Sounds like you already know what you want, not sure why you asked for suggestions lol

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Sounds like you already know what you want, not sure why you asked for suggestions lol

I guess its because I don’t k now what I want. But I do know what I don’t want and that is a spotter made in China. Might have to just suck it up and spend the $$$ for a quality piece

Last edited:

ELKdeerMT

FNG
Another vote for a used Meopta or sworo. You can pick one up for around that price. I saw a like new Cabelas branded meostar on HT. Not sure if it's still available but would be worth asking. Thats a great price for that spotter. You cant get one for less than 2500-3K now.

Glass has gotten so expensive in the last 4-5 years since Covid.

snakelk

WKR

Agree with you about current Leupold spotters. I too had an old straight GR spotter, although 30x, and sent it in for repair. They replaced the objective lens with inferior glass so I sold it. Compared my original Leupold 30x side by side with a new 15-30x GR and there was no comparison, the fixed 30x was superior glass.

I've since moved on to a Meopta S2 82 and couldn't be happier. Big heavy scope, but worth the extra bulk and weight to me. Typically can find a used on in the $1600-$1900 range if you keep your eyes open.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Agree with you about current Leupold spotters. I too had an old straight GR spotter, although 30x, and sent it in for repair. They replaced the objective lens with inferior glass so I sold it. Compared my original Leupold 30x side by side with a new 15-30x GR and there was no comparison, the fixed 30x was superior glass.

I've since moved on to a Meopta S2 82 and couldn't be happier. Big heavy scope, but worth the extra bulk and weight to me. Typically can find a used on in the $1600-$1900 range if you keep your eyes open.
Thanks for the response. I have a couple Meopta scopes and very happy with them. I will look into there spotters.