Finally built my dream rifle. Custom 7PRC.

OP
Fever Buck
Love the build. One day I'm going to go all in and do the same.
Thanks man. I quickly realized that I’d rather just buy once cry once and have a do it all rifle once I wanted to upgrade from my 308. Financially it was a hit up front but I’m hoping I won’t need another rifle for a very long time.

SloppyJ

WKR
Thanks man. I quickly realized that I’d rather just buy once cry once and have a do it all rifle once I wanted to upgrade from my 308. Financially it was a hit up front but I’m hoping I won’t need another rifle for a very long time.
I dont "need" another rifle but always dreaming about something else. I have done a few semi custom builds myself but nothing of a full custom caliber. Problem is, I would like a 7PRC but I already have a tack driver in 280ai so I wouldn't be gaining too much. I'll keep working on my wishlist.

OP
Fever Buck
Any more testing on the 7prc? Im recalling digging your
No not yet. Just picked up a chronograph for the rifle and will take it shooting hopefully this week or next. Want to get some good group and speed data to help build a dope chart. Will update this thread when I do.

View attachment 557763

Custom 7PRC built by Black Canyon Customs. Fritz was kind enough to take some photos of the build before I picked it up in Denver.
XLR Magnesium Element 4.0 w/ Ergo Grip, Folder, and Carbon Stock
Defiance anTi Action
Proof Sendero 22”
Triggertech Special Flat 3.5lb
Hawkins Precision Ultralight Tactical Rings
Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18 FFP
Thunderbeast Brake
Thunderbeast Ultra 7/9

Weighs in at 9lbs unloaded.
Weighs in at 10lbs with 5 rounds fully loaded w/ Ultra 9.

Initial thoughts:

The chassis and other components feel great and well built. Fritz at Black Canyon Customs was great to work with and I would definitely recommend him.

This rifle will be used for elk and mule deer and I wanted one do it all rifle, so I’m hoping this will fit the bill. I spent several years researching what I wanted and was really struggling between the 6.5PRC and 300PRC, so when Hornady announced the 7PRC I jumped on it immediately. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Going to try and get to a 100 yard range this coming week to zero and break in the Proof barrel. Will post groupings later on.
Can you tell me what height Hawkins rings you used here? are these the lowest ones?

OP
Fever Buck
Can you tell me what height Hawkins rings you used here? are these the lowest ones?
Yes. I went with lows. Ended up switching to highs because the end of the scope was hitting picatinny rail before I could get the scope back enough for good eye relief. I’m pretty sure I could’ve gone with medium height rings. I’ll be switching to the NF NXS 2.5-10 and purchased a set of medium rings for that scope.

SloppyJ

WKR
Yes. I went with lows. Ended up switching to highs because the end of the scope was hitting picatinny rail before I could get the scope back enough for good eye relief. I’m pretty sure I could’ve gone with medium height rings. I’ll be switching to the NF NXS 2.5-10 and purchased a set of medium rings for that scope.
Alternatively you can file down the rail at a 45 to gain some more room. I ended up running the highs, which aren't super high, and taking a bit off my rail to get my nx8 exactly where I wanted it. Turned out great.

Attachments

• 20230420_184037.jpg
    20230420_184037.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
Fever Buck
Alternatively you can file down the rail at a 45 to gain some more room. I ended up running the highs, which aren't super high, and taking a bit off my rail to get my nx8 exactly where I wanted it. Turned out great.
Did you paint over the sanded portion? Looks good though.