FHF harness test

SDHNTR

WKR
I like the functionality of this thing, but the material always seemed loud to me. Last night I got to find out if those worries were valid. I was sitting in my stand about 20 minutes before dark. Just a light breeze was blowing. I had a spike and a doe (Pacific Hybrids)in front of me, calm and unaware, at about 18 yards. Neither of which were legal to shoot. So I decided to see if I could get away with un harnessing the binocs and getting a better look. I was well hidden in the tree and was wearing a quiet fleece coat. I had a good wind. I moved very slowly and got the lid open but even that tiny noise put them on edge. Then as I pulled the binoculars out of the pouch they went on full alert. They couldn't see or smell me but they surely heard me and weren't hanging around. They got twitchy and looked around for a few seconds and then stotted off. So I learned a lesson. Back to a regular harness for stand hunting. IMO, if they want to cater to bow hunters, they need to make a quieter material option.

bowuntr

WKR
They'll do the same thing when you stalk in to 30 yards... unnecessary IMO. My crooked horn type harness is silent. I've never had an animal hear me use my binos. Why would you take a chance? Ed F

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I don't know about 30, it's not that loud, but certainly 20. Ed, the Crooked Horn type harnesses can make noise too, bouncing around and hitting your pack buckles, etc. Still searching for the perfect option...

Per FHF's suggestion, I did run my through the washer. That quieted it down a tiny bit, but not enough. Maybe I'll try it again with a couple sneakers to beat it up.

i agree... all it would take was making the inside a fleece type material or brushed material instead of the nylon in there now. i dont feel that the outside is that bad, especially after washing it. But the inside is loud and especially when cold.

that said, i have not cleaned the lenses of my binoculars one time since i have had them. When they arrived, they went into the case and have been in there ever since. I LOVE the fhf harness, i do wish it was softer and i feel like it would be an easy fix.

I do have the KUIU harness ordered, i like it with my wife's monarchs but it is too tight for my victory HT's. Once I have them i will be able to get a geed review vs the fhf. I have used the fhf for 2 years now, the kuiu was expected to ship in "early november." OF course the KUIU translation means.... sometime in the spring. hahaha

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill hang on to my FHF patiently until kuiu can keep thiers in stock.

I too had problems. I could get my binos out quietly if I moved slowly with 2 hands. With 1 hand it was impossible to get them out quietly and in an efficient manner. It is a super nice harness though, I might still keep it for rifle hunting

dotman

WKR
I guess it is all a personal thing, I don't think my fhf is very noisy, no noisier than my pack and when an animal is close enough to kill I don't plan to get into either. I never take it to the tree stand though but again I see no reason for binos where I hunt since you can't see past 50 yards.

But I will say I have noticed that non camo cordura is quieter then the camo cordura.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I guess it is all a personal thing, I don't think my fhf is very noisy, no noisier than my pack and when an animal is close enough to kill I don't plan to get into either. I never take it to the tree stand though but again I see no reason for binos where I hunt since you can't see past 50 yards.

But I will say I have noticed that non camo cordura is quieter then the camo cordura.

Valid point and seems like common sense as one may ask once you are bow range close why would you need your binocs? I use mine all the time at short range. Being able to see through brush with greater detail. A bedded animal to see which way it is facing. Low light to see horns (or lack therof) in greater detail. And some of us have binos with built in rangefinders, so they get used within bow range all the time.

Is the Kuiu model made of quieter material?

TEmbry

WKR
Valid point and seems like common sense as one may ask once you are bow range close why would you need your binocs? I use mine all the time at short range. Being able to see through brush with greater detail. A bedded animal to see which way it is facing. Low light to see horns (or lack therof) in greater detail. And some of us have binos with built in rangefinders, so they get used within bow range all the time.

Idk but I hope so. I have one on order to find out. I'm tired of the bounciness with my crooked horn harness

bowuntr

WKR
I use rangefinding binos, so I use mine up close all the time. I need them accessable, quick and quiet. It seems like these full containment systems can't provide any of those three. Cleaning my binos is something I can live with... Let me know when you find the perfect system... Ed F

Whisky

WKR
I use rangefinding binos, so I use mine up close all the time. I need them accessable, quick and quiet. It seems like these full containment systems can't provide any of those three. Cleaning my binos is something I can live with... Let me know when you find the perfect system... Ed F

Yup....which is why I sold my FHF after only a couple weeks pre-season use with them and went Rick Young.

much softer and quieter. I really like the KUIU, but like I mentioned, the large is too small for my binos

Joe

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
For those of you who like the Crooked Horn type elastic system, but dislike the bounce, Check out the Nimrod harness. Ive used one for years. Same basic principle, but the top straps are not elastic so they don't bounce.

I have the FHF and Alaska Guide Creations harness.
The AGC is quieter but I don't have a problem with noise with my FHF as long as I'm careful removing my binos from it.
Most of the time noise is a non factor as I have my binos out and scanning with them long before any game shows up.

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill probably keep my FHF for rifle hunting, scouting and fishing, but I wont take it bowhunting.

I see what you guys are saying as its not loud enough to draw concern, but I disagree. I don't use rf binos. But I do pull my binos out during a stalk periodically, looking for antler tips or ears of the animal im going after. And when its dead still and quiet, my binos end up not coming out, which means im probably not paying enough attention to where the animal im stalking is.

boom

WKR
i tend to go mind blank when i stalk. i never put the binos away..i just let them dangle on thee straps outside of the FHF.

on a side note..i have a buddy that never pulls his binos up when he is up close and personal..he says they look like big eyeballs to prey. dunno.

bbrown

WKR
First off I don't regularly treestand hunt but have in the past and I could see why on a calm day the noise would be an issue. If all I did was treestand hunt I would not choose the FHF due to the extra movement required to get the binos out - the Nimrod harness is better for this situation.

Out west I use my binos constantly while stalking (not sure why anyone wouldn't - saved my ass more often than it hurt me) and I have been within 30 yards of both deer and elk with my FHF this year and there are so many other things that can go wrong at that distance (IE wind/scent and movement) the bit of noise coming from the bino harness is not a concern. After using it a bit you figure out the best ways to use with minimal noise. Your pack, clothes and weapon all make small noises that you have to be aware of as well.

I guess for me its all about choosing the right "tool" for the job.

dotman

WKR
First off I don't regularly treestand hunt but have in the past and I could see why on a calm day the noise would be an issue. If all I did was treestand hunt I would not choose the FHF due to the extra movement required to get the binos out - the Nimrod harness is better for this situation.

Out west I use my binos constantly while stalking (not sure why anyone wouldn't - saved my ass more often than it hurt me) and I have been within 30 yards of both deer and elk with my FHF this year and there are so many other things that can go wrong at that distance (IE wind/scent and movement) the bit of noise coming from the bino harness is not a concern. After using it a bit you figure out the best ways to use with minimal noise. Your pack, clothes and weapon all make small noises that you have to be aware of as well.

I guess for me its all about choosing the right "tool" for the job.

X2.... I have found that it is easier to use my rangfinder at 4x zoom then my binos plus I don't have to set my bow down or try to stabilize my binos in one hand when close so I tend to not use the binos when up close since my litte rangefinder does a great job. When I tree stand hunt my area is so thick that I just use the rangefinder to scan the woods and don't even take my binos. I'll use my binos on an animal from 75 yards out and after that I'm more worred about the wind and if the animal is moving and tend to do quick scans with my rangefinder.