FFP long range hunting recommendations/opinions

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at scopes for a while. I’d love to spend 2-3k and get a mark 5 or march f scope or nightforce. I’m not in a financial position to do so right now. I have a browning x bolt 6.5 prc that currently has a vortex Diamondback tac 4-16x44 that I like but I wonder if there’s something better for a similar price. I want something that is under 30 oz (the lighter the better) and has at least 16x magnification, also needs to have 85 moa or more elevation adjustment.

These are the scopes I’ve been looking at, any opinions/reviews of them, comparisons to each other or other scopes that I should look at

4-16x44 athlon Midas tac ffp-600

4-16x44 vortex Diamondback tact ffp-325

4-16x44 Arken epl4 ffp-399

Vortex strike eagle 3-18x44 ffp-750

Presidio 3-18x50 ffp-399

Primary Arms GLx 3-18x44 FFP-750

SightronS-TAC FFP 4-20x50-500

Thanks in advance

I’ve been looking at scopes for a while. I’d love to spend 2-3k and get a mark 5 or march f scope or nightforce. I’m not in a financial position to do so right now. I have a browning x bolt 6.5 prc that currently has a vortex Diamondback tac 4-16x44 that I like but I wonder if there’s something better for a similar price. I want something that is under 30 oz (the lighter the better) and has at least 16x magnification, also needs to have 85 moa or more elevation adjustment.

These are the scopes I’ve been looking at, any opinions/reviews of them, comparisons to each other or other scopes that I should look at

4-16x44 athlon Midas tac ffp-600

4-16x44 vortex Diamondback tact ffp-325

4-16x44 Arken epl4 ffp-399

Vortex strike eagle 3-18x44 ffp-750

Presidio 3-18x50 ffp-399

Primary Arms GLx 3-18x44 FFP-750

SightronS-TAC FFP 4-20x50-500

Thanks in advance

I’m in the same boat ha really looking hard at the Primary Arms GLX or the Sightron S-Tac…
On some of the optic pages it’s hard to pass up a Burris XTR2 for less than $650 which is what I’ve seen em going for lately…
Goodluck! Let us know what you decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat ha really looking hard at the Primary Arms GLX or the Sightron S-Tac…
On some of the optic pages it’s hard to pass up a Burris XTR2 for less than $650 which is what I’ve seen em going for lately…
Goodluck! Let us know what you decide

I liked both of those, the only concern with each for me was weight with the GLX, not awful but the heavier side of the options. And the sightron only has 80 moa elevation. Not a huge deal but definitely something I’m taking into consideration.

What’s making you lean towards those two options??

I liked both of those, the only concern with each for me was weight with the GLX, not awful but the heavier side of the options. And the sightron only has 80 moa elevation. Not a huge deal but definitely something I’m taking into consideration.

What’s making you lean towards those two options??

Sniper hide reviews and YouTube videos about their tracking. That and I’m over the athlon/vortex trash in the price range haha

The SWFA 3-15 is the only thing close to what you want in that price range that’s worth a shit. I wouldn’t own any of the optics on that list if you gave them to me.
I haven't owned any of the optics on the OP's list, so I hate to cast shade when I don't know. But, without more substantial testing to prove otherwise, I feel the same.

Macintosh

WKR
What on earth are you shooting that an 80moa scope doesnt have enough elevation travel? 20moa rail and even with the really anemic cartridges that'll get you well past 1200 yards without pushing it. That's beyond hunting range for virtually everyone on the planet, and plenty to practice with.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve had good experiences with the Athlon Midas Tac line. I’ve heard good things about the Sightrons.
Both experiences are limited to 22’s. A lot of dialing but no recoil. IMO.

I can vouch for the sightron stac. I have the illumated ffp with zero stop and it’s a good one. I didn’t get the zoom range you’re looking at though. With that being said if you haven’t used a ffp scope you will be shocked at how tiny the retical is on the lowest power. 8 power is where it begins to mirror an 2nd fp in my opinion which for timber hunting isn’t great. 3x it’s Almost impossible to see. The illumination helps tremendously with lower power settings. I wish I would have went 2nd focal plane due to it being a hunting rifle. Best wishes.

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
What on earth are you shooting that an 80moa scope doesnt have enough elevation travel? 20moa rail and even with the really anemic cartridges that'll get you well past 1200 yards without pushing it. That's beyond hunting range for virtually everyone on the planet, and plenty to practice with.
I’m shooting a 6.5 prc so pretty flat. My first scope I mounted supposedly had 85 moa elevation travel and a 20 moa rail and I ended up with just enough travel to reach 900 yards after zeroing. The scope I have right now is mrad same scope but has enough to get me over a mile. So maybe the first scopes QC sucked and had less travel. I’d like to be able to shoot out to 1500 or a mile for fun every once in a while with it.

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Sniper hide reviews and YouTube videos about their tracking. That and I’m over the athlon/vortex trash in the price range haha

I’d heard good things about athlon, what’s trash about them??

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
The SWFA 3-15 is your huckleberry. It's light (ish). It's very rugged. It has a great reticle.

If you want to spend a little more, the Bushie LRHS's have been great for me and are a step up in glass over the SWFA.
What’s the glass on swfa comparable to?

What’s the glass on swfa comparable to?

They have good glass with good resolution and brightness. It's not the best glass but it's more than usable for the magnification range and doesn't get dark on the top end. The last couple samples I had were very nice glass. There's far more to a scope than glass quality. If a scope has amazing glass but shit mechanical reliability its useless. The SWFA's are mechanically very solid and are very good build quality.

JGRaider

WKR
So far so good with My Athlon Ares BTR which has been sitting on a CTR 6.5CM for 3 years now. Dialed and returned to zero hundreds of times, killed hundreds of pigs with it as well.