Feelings during The Hunt

DavidAr

FNG
For me is crucial to have had a chance to work for the game I hunt is in this scenario that pulling the trigger comes naturally in an organic kind of way , all the opposite happens if someone else did the thinking for me , like a guided hunt were you get to sit in a blind and just shoot. Do not do that to her , let her hunt for herself and she will shoot

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe have her watch S8: E5 “Turkey Troubles” on Meateater…Steve Rinella and crew take two women on a turkey hunt for their first hunt, addressing some of the same sentiment you’re inquiring about.

With my son, I instilled at a young age, a conservationist mentality and how you can both enjoy nature/animals and as a part of that a respect hunting animals and the place it has… we take just as much enjoyment in watching wildlife in their habitat (and at times in our urban environment), as we do going out in pursuit of taking game. Not everyone is cut out to hunt…that’s understandable (maybe preferred as it’s less population putting in for tags).
I also do take enjoyment/satisfaction or “have fun” in successfully taking wildlife—if it was solely being outdoors, I’d just camp/ hike; and if it was solely because I like to shoot, I’d just target practice…I don’t feel bad about killing an animal when I know the time, effort, and skill it takes to bring it all together. I also know the kill will be put to use in feeding us, and/or population managing predators that will overrun game if not managed.
My wife has an appreciation of all the work that goes into hunting and enjoys eating what we fill the freezers with. At the same time, she has no desire to “wander for days in the wilderness with predators that can attack you” (as she sees it) and wants no part in breaking down an animal after it’s been killed.

Last edited:
Taking an animals life is always a humbling experience. There is something primal and ancestral about the process. It is important to me to constantly remind myself of the respect that I owe the animal and to utilize every possible once of meat provided.