Feedback on optics selection - 308 Hunt/Target

Lux_FMJ

FNG
I've been in a deep rabbit hole researching my first "premium" optic. I'm new here, and this place has been a lot of help so far with reading material. Anyways, I've got a Bergara Timber (lefty) in 308 that needs something primarily for 50-200 yds white tail hunting (MN/WI), but EZPZ ranging capabilities for target shots 500-1000 yd too. Still learning long distance on my own. I don't have much for mentorship with ranging/reticle know-how. Boo friggin hoo lol.

I'm looking for these specs:
  • FFP (MIL), zero stop, parallax, center reticle illumination, or something besides the entire thing lighting up (distracting). Low power reticle visibility. No China.
What I've found so far:
  • Maven RS1.2 - 2.5-15X44 (SHR)
  • Meopta OPTIKA6 3-18X50 RD (MRAD)
  • Steiner T6Xi 2.5-15x50 #5116 (SCR-MIL)
  • Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 (MRAD Precision Tree)
  • Primary Arms GLX 2-10x44 or 3-18x44 (unsure of reticle choice)
Maven is top of my list, and I'd have ordered already if I could find one in stock. Really interested on feedback with that one. Meopta is next based on the reticle. Is illumination really that poor? Tenmile is neat bc, well it's Trijicon and it's decently lightweight. Tree reticle is meh. On low power is the reticle clear enough for quick shots? Steiner would be #1 hands down, but trying to convince myself on the weight. PA seems like they make it ezpz for 308 ranging, but I could be overlooking something (i.e., ballistics). Philippines glass, but whatever. Idk if that's China made or not. The reticle styles I like the most are Maven and Meopta.

Side note:
  • I'm gonna sell my Bering Optics Hogster Vibe thermal and two other scopes I'm not using to fund this new one. Ideally, I'd also sell my Hawke 18650 scope too and buy two scopes, same brand, for both Bergaras (308 Timber and HMR Wilderness 6.5 Creedmoor). The 308 is the focus here, but of anyone wants to chime in on the HMR, then please do.

2-Stix

WKR
Have you looked at the drop evaluations on the site? How about a NF NXS or NX8?

Macintosh

WKR
If most of your hunting is 0-200 whitetail in mn/wi, and as you said “low power reticle visibility” is important, then of the scopes you mentioned the maven is the only one Id even consider due to lack of good reticles in all of the others for your primary hunting opportunity.

OP
Lux_FMJ

Lux_FMJ

FNG
Have you looked at the drop evaluations on the site? How about a NF NXS or NX8?
I know the RS1 passed. I have not read the RS1.2 test yet. I'd love to get a nightforce, but idk if I can swing that $ unless I sell my Bering Optics Hogster Vibe 2-8 thermal... Which yes I've been battling with myself to do. That or I find someone to buy my Athlon and Hawke scopes.

I don't have access yet to the classified here.

OP
Lux_FMJ

Lux_FMJ

FNG
If most of your hunting is 0-200 whitetail in mn/wi, and as you said “low power reticle visibility” is important, then of the scopes you mentioned the maven is the only one Id even consider due to lack of good reticles in all of the others for your primary hunting opportunity.
Right. You confirmed my thoughts on it all. I really like Maven's RS1.2 MIL reticle for this purpose. The Optika6 seems comparable too, but idk enough yet to say yep that'll do.

I've been considering the Tenmile 3-18 MIL, but I just feel like it's such a waste to spend roughly the same for an non-prefered reticle (I.E, tree). Any thoughts on that and the Eotech Vudu 3-18 FFP MIL reticles?

Macintosh

WKR
I dont know the eotech scope, but Ive used a friends tenmile. That reticle is a 100% hard-stop no-go for me at low magnification.

This isn't scientific but it is math.
I dont know the eotech scope, but Ive used a friends tenmile. That reticle is a 100% hard-stop no-go for me at low magnification.

This.

While this isn't scientific, it is math. :)

I have a Credo 3-9X40 that has .05 Mil reticle at 9X. It is visible, but just barely as it gets dark on mottled backgrounds. I personally have to turn on the illumination around 4-5 min before the end of shooting light.

The Tenmile is .06 mil reticle at 9X. However, because it stays constant relative to the image size, it will appear to "shrink" and "get thinner" to your eyes as you go down in magnification.

That means that if you take .06/9 = .0067. If you then go back and multiply that by the power you are viewing at, while it will cover .06 mil of the image, to your eye it will be proportionally thinner compared to what it was at 9X.

Based on this proportional math, the .06 reticle @ 3x would appear visually like a .02 Mil thick SFP reticle at 9X. Which is really, really thin.

Compare that to the Maven RS1.2 which is .10/9 = .01111

When you get down to 3X on the Maven, it would be the equivalent of a .033 Mil thick SFP reticle at 9X. This is pretty close to the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15 X42 at .035 Mil, which lots of people use as a hunting scope. (It is too thin for me, but others like it)

Further, at 6X, the Maven would appear the same as a .067 mil SFP scope at 9X.

I think that may be why we have such glowing reports of reticle visibility at lower power, not even counting the illumination.

Again, this isn't scientific. Just me trying to use math to explain why I can't see FFP reticles at lower power and trying to find something I could use and it seems to make sense based on anecdotes from this forum and my own experiences with several optics I have tried.

Feel free to poke holes in it, :)

OP
Lux_FMJ

Lux_FMJ

FNG
This wall all very insightful, and helpful. What you said below helped put things into perspective.
When you get down to 3X on the Maven, it would be the equivalent of a .033 Mil thick SFP reticle at 9X. This is pretty close to the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15 X42 at .035 Mil, which lots of people use as a hunting scope. (It is too thin for me, but others like it)
Further, at 6X, the Maven would appear the same as a .067 mil SFP scope at 9X.
I'm 90% sure I'll be getting the Maven RS1.2 for this rifle. Unfortunately, I keep missing them in stock (black model) when I'm in class so I haven't purchased it yet. That said, I am open to used optics that may be close to this $1200 price. If that's the case, are there other brands/models to consider that are close to the RS1.2 weight, reticle visibility, durability (zero holds) etc. etc.? I know of the Optika6, but after talking to CameraLand and others it's anyone's guess when they'll be restocked.