Anyone have these? Maven RS1.2 (SHR Mil), Steiner T6Xi (SCR and MSR2 Mil)

Lux_FMJ

FNG
I'm debating between these three for my first "premium" optic, to use with my Bergara Timber 308. I could really use some advice/recommendations. Primary purpose will be deer under 200 yds, more likely 50-100 yds. Secondary will be for practicing long range and learning elevation/windage at 500 yds and up.

What would really help, is a "simple" reticle zoom demo from low to max power, illuminated and/or non illuminated. Like Optics Trade does or C_Does more extensively in their YouTube videos. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm trying to gauge how clear the center reticle is at low power. At the very least, I'll take all the feedback I can get on either models. Intending on keeping this for life and to grow into with experience. Thanks 🥂

Models
  • Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x44 SHR-Mil
  • Steiner T6Xi 2.5-15x50 SCR-Mil
  • Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 - MSR2-MIL

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Long Range Hunting sub forum on here and you’ll find reticle images for the Maven in the reviews and threads dedicated to that scope. Search for Steiner reviews and you’ll find some on here and SnipersHide that include reticle images.

Summary: get the Maven, the reticle options on the Steiner are too thin to be optimal for your hunting use.

OP
Lux_FMJ

Lux_FMJ

FNG
Check out the Long Range Hunting sub forum on here and you’ll find reticle images for the Maven in the reviews and threads dedicated to that scope. Search for Steiner reviews and you’ll find some on here and SnipersHide that include reticle images.

Summary: get the Maven, the reticle options on the Steiner are too thin to be optimal for your hunting use.
Thank you. I'm new here, so my bad. Still learning my way around.

BR7.62

FNG
i bought the 30x steiner recently, no experience w/ the others.
only posting to mention right now, until the 31st you can get a free pair of steiner binoculars if you mail in. theyre like 400$ 8 power

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
The Maven is new but well liked here - there's two long threads and a review devoted to it. There are some good reticle pictures in the threads. See below, for example.

Some really good pictures of looking through the reticle at animals in the review, too.

I don’t own either of those but I would buy a Maven 100% of the time for their ability to build reliable stuff over anything Steiner. All the Steiners I owned have had problems and the T6X I played with in a store recently had defective turrets right out of the box.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t own either of those but I would buy a Maven 100% of the time for their ability to build reliable stuff over anything Steiner. All the Steiners I owned have had problems and the T6X I played with in a store recently had defective turrets right out of the box.
Your personal experience with a few examples from a specfic brand causes you to discount the brand entirely? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I'm new here, so my bad. Still learning my way around.
No worries, I replied in a rush otherwise I would’ve actually given you some links. Looks like someone dropped some links below. If you find that the Snipershide thread dedicated to the Steiner T6xi series there are some good pictures in there. I purchased a T6xi 3-18 MSR2 thinking/hoping the reticle would work for general hunting use but I found it to be just way too thin.

With the open center and floating dot on the Maven SHR-MIL reticle, you retain precision at all distances while still having relatively thick stadia lines to be useable at all magnification levels. That is the key.

OP
Lux_FMJ

Lux_FMJ

FNG
No worries, I replied in a rush otherwise I would’ve actually given you some links. Looks like someone dropped some links below. If you find that the Snipershide thread dedicated to the Steiner T6xi series there are some good pictures in there. I purchased a T6xi 3-18 MSR2 thinking/hoping the reticle would work for general hunting use but I found it to be just way too thin.

With the open center and floating dot on the Maven SHR-MIL reticle, you retain precision at all distances while still having relatively thick stadia lines to be useable at all magnification levels. That is the key.
That helps to know. That's what I was a bit concerned about with the Steiner. Looks like I'll be going with the Maven. Cool. Less money, weight, and I only gotta focus on one website to get it 😅

Now I play the waiting game (in stock).

The Rokslide review, that scope or setup is broke. It was shifting every time he dropped it. Puts two through the same hole. he drops it, puts two through the same hole somewhere else.

Are we suppose to be happy it is only 1.3" inches broken in any direction? I need to do more reading on the drop test.