Feather Fletching Issue w/ AZ EZ Fletch

TX_Diver

WKR
Tried to fletch some black eagle outlaws with some Gateway feathers (3" and 4" shield cut) with an AZ EZ Fletch and had an issue where the clamp wouldn't close all the way. Made it work for most of them but it was a pain. I had 3 true flights left and they don't seem to have the same issue. Trad vanes fletched fine too and had the opposite problem actually where the back of the vane wouldn't touch until I added some tape to the jig.

It appears that the base of the gateways is much less consistent and generally thicker than the true flights (and obviously way thicker than the trad vanes). Sorting them out and pulling out the ones with the thinnest base helped the problem.

Is there any other way to fix this or should I just ditch the gateway feathers? I'll pay a few cents more for true flight next time if it means my fletching time is cut in half!

M7TjgNbh.jpg

I don’t use the ez fletch for any kind of feather but it does work well for vanes. I use Ozark feathers and they glue on better than gateway or truflight.

nevadabugle

WKR
Classified Approved
Two thoughts. Gateways grinds are terrible. Stick with thr truflight. Much more consistent.

Secondly I would reccomend a JoJan or Bitzenburger. They are much more accurate to fletch with and can handle the inconsistent grind of the gateways.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Two thoughts. Gateways grinds are terrible. Stick with thr truflight. Much more consistent.

Secondly I would reccomend a JoJan or Bitzenburger. They are much more accurate to fletch with and can handle the inconsistent grind of the gateways.
I have a bitz but started using an ez fletch for the compound and was hoping to be able to do the same for the recurve. Definitely done with gateway after this one experience. I fletched up 3 arrows with each configuration and used 2 different glues too. going to shoot them for a month or so to see what I like best (if I can even tell a difference). Guess I can fletch the rest with a bitz as I’m down to only the thick bases now 🙁

nevadabugle

WKR
Classified Approved
The bitz will work with the thick bases. May as well use them up.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider

I'm considering grabbing AZ Ez fletch but love the idea of a more robust jig like the blitz. Any value to starting small and doing the EZ fletch to get started? I'm at the point where I'm moving from buying prefletched high-end arrows to doing my own fletching so I can customize a little more

nevadabugle

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm considering grabbing AZ Ez fletch but love the idea of a more robust jig like the blitz. Any value to starting small and doing the EZ fletch to get started? I'm at the point where I'm moving from buying prefletched high-end arrows to doing my own fletching so I can customize a little more
I'll tell you my experience from 20 or so years ago...

I bought an AZ EZ, to save money. I struggled with it, just like @TX_Diver . I ended up with a JoJan and eventually a couple of Bitz. I then tossed the EZ fletch in the garbage.

Maybe they work well for some people or have gotten better over the years, but I never had satisfactory results with the EZ fletch that I had.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR

If you want to use gateway feathers I'd stick with the bitz lol.

I have a bitz but it's painstakingly slow with fletch tite platinum. I'll probably use it for the rest of these arrows to use up some of the gateway feathers, but am going to stick with true flight from here on out and give the EZ fletch another shot later.

oldgoat

WKR
I'll tell you my experience from 20 or so years ago...

I bought an AZ EZ, to save money. I struggled with it, just like @TX_Diver . I ended up with a JoJan and eventually a couple of Bitz. I then tossed the EZ fletch in the garbage.

Maybe they work well for some people or have gotten better over the years, but I never had satisfactory results with the EZ fletch that I had.
This pretty much mirrors my experience