Favorite Index Releases

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had any issues after I figured out what I thought was a problem similar to yours. My issue that initially appeared as a misfire was with the reverse hook and the way I put my index finger behind the trigger when I drew. When I drew the bow I inadvertently rotated the head and the hook off the loop causing what looked like a misfire. I at first thought the release went off and I then messed with the sear and weight to attempt to stop it. Misfired a second time and a light went on and figured it out. What was confusing was the sear was tripped each time making it look like the sear misfired but it had not, it was likely tripped in the chaos of the "misfire". My solution was I had to change the way I held the head when drawing. I now use my second finger and thumb to hold it to keep it from rotating while drawing. No more "misfires" even with a really crisp sear setting.

The two new releases from Stan with standard hook directions should eliminate the issue I had.
I also recently thought my extinction was firing when drawing. Arrow would land a couple feet in front of me. Started thinking it was a draw/form issue. either way, Didn't need to be dealing with that come september so went back to a scott caliper style release. Will also add that I've been shooting the extinction 2 for about a year and a half and it's never done that up until recently.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues after I figured out what I thought was a problem similar to yours. My issue that initially appeared as a misfire was with the reverse hook and the way I put my index finger behind the trigger when I drew. When I drew the bow I inadvertently rotated the head and the hook off the loop causing what looked like a misfire. I at first thought the release went off and I then messed with the sear and weight to attempt to stop it. Misfired a second time and a light went on and figured it out. What was confusing was the sear was tripped each time making it look like the sear misfired but it had not, it was likely tripped in the chaos of the "misfire". My solution was I had to change the way I held the head when drawing. I now use my second finger and thumb to hold it to keep it from rotating while drawing. No more "misfires" even with a really crisp sear setting.

The two new releases from Stan with standard hook directions should eliminate the issue I had.
Interesting. Well yea it wasn’t the case for the two I had. They worked excellent for months but then started to have issues. On the releases the sear started to misfire. I could do it with my finger. Simply Just pull on the hook and it would let go without touching the trigger. It cost me an antelope last as the bow fired before I was ready.

kjw

WKR
Used a RX1 for the last couple years. The drop tine that hamskea used to make was awesome. Really want to try the new strikex from Stan that was released 8 months ago but still isn’t out 😬

JjamesIII

WKR
I’d stay away from Stan index releases. When they work, they are nice and clean…..until they prematurely wear out. I wanted to like the Stan’s, but I’ve given up on them after two of them became really rough and increased trigger weight to the point of being unusable. Their warranty as written, sucks- 1 year. I was beyond the time frame of the lousy warranty, so I did not pursue the issue with their costly disposable releases.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been using the wiseguy 3-4 years now. Tried a couple of thumb buttons and a silverback, the wiseguy just works for me. I back the trigger tension screw all the way out. There zero travel, it just breaks clean. Some people say say the trigger is too light though, but I have never had an issue with it.

I will say that most index releases that fold back, eventually lose their ability to stay folded back. The wiseguy is no different. It will fold back but it gets less and less, secure, folded back and doesn't take much for it to flip forward.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
My Carter Like Mike II very accurate when shot both back tension and command style. If you use the back strap as a training it goes nicely with the LM II because the head is identical just larger and you can use the same exact Scott strap for both. I never had to do any type of adjustments to it, zero travel and zero d loop wear. I listened to a pod where Aron Snyder basically buried Stan’s index releases which I have no reason not to believe he sounded honest in his dealings with them. Carter gets my vote.

TJfromTX

FNG
Another vote for the Hawk B3 (flex)
Previously used a Spot Hogg Wiseguy and loved that release as well. (I need to post it in the classifieds)
I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

TheCougar

WKR
I love my wise guy. You can set the trigger dangerously light and almost turn it into a back tension release by resting your finger on the trigger and pulling against the wall.

Umpcoos

FNG
I will never own another carter product. I had a like Mike lock up on me on a really nice mule deer, which cost me the buck. I found out later, on AT, that others have had similar problems. I emailed the company multiple times about it, to ask if they'd ever seen that problem (where the trigger locks up and won't fire) or if they had a fix, and they never responded.

Never again. I shoot a wise guy now. The trigger pull is a little lighter than i would like but I trust the mechanism.

I will never own another carter product. I had a like Mike lock up on me on a really nice mule deer, which cost me the buck. I found out later, on AT, that others have had similar problems. I emailed the company multiple times about it, to ask if they'd ever seen that problem (where the trigger locks up and won't fire) or if they had a fix, and they never responded.

Never again. I shoot a wise guy now. The trigger pull is a little lighter than i would like but I trust the mechanism.
Man that's a bummer. I've had great luck with Carters warranty and service, I'm sorry you have a different experience. If I had that experience I'd probably feel the same way.

Aron suggested an xtinction 2.
2 warranty claims later I'm never using another Stan release.
Now I come to find he also ended up having problems...
I don't see him suggest them anymore