Favorite Bino Cover Pack?

Gman

WKR
The fhf has a nice feature - small quick release buckles so you can easily detach and pass binos or whatever and quickly reattach.

slim9300

WKR
If your binos fit the Sitka Bino Bivy I feel like it's the way to go. I cut out the elastic band inside and they are perfect for my cheapie 10x42 Nikon Monarchs or something slightly larger. I used the S4 LD for all of last season and it was much better than the rubber band style I used to use, but left something to be desired when it came to one handed use, noise and protection from the elements. The Bino Bivy is much improved and not the least bit bulkier.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
If i were to do it all over again id probably order the fhf one. However the sitka bino bivy is dang near perfect to me. Plus its very light and comfortable.

zrider2

FNG
Bino Bro for me too. It is a little noisy, but a few trips throught the washing machine helps that.

I am going to try to get a few more models to compare with the ones in the "Haulin Glass" article. Once I get enough variety I will update the article and include more detail about each. It seems like peoples preferences kind of fall into 2 catagories....models as compact as possible and still do the job.... or a larger model that will carry several additional items with easy access. I am in the compact camp because I like to leave the binos on my chest when shooting. But I can see the advantage of the larger models for some types of hunting.

idabow

FNG
I like my Horn Hunter bino case with a Magnetic sleeve for my range finder that quietly sticks right to the side of my bino case to its always there. They changed it a little this year and also put a hook on the case for the range finder and best part it's made in the U.S.A

dotman

WKR
I am going to try to get a few more models to compare with the ones in the "Haulin Glass" article. Once I get enough variety I will update the article and include more detail about each. It seems like peoples preferences kind of fall into 2 catagories....models as compact as possible and still do the job.... or a larger model that will carry several additional items with easy access. I am in the compact camp because I like to leave the binos on my chest when shooting. But I can see the advantage of the larger models for some types of hunting.

How was the badlands in outfitter camo when shooting your bow? Does this snug up nicely on your chest or flop around?

The badlands can be snugged up pretty well and although it is not as compact as the one I have been using for years the bow clears it easily. I know some people shoot draw lengths that are kinda long for them and they tend to draw the bow closer to their chest to compensate. I would think any chest type bino case would be an issue for them. The only other issue I have with the Badlands model is the magnetic strip around the flap is so powerful you must be careful how you close it or it is very noisy.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my FHF Bino case today. After this upcoming turkey season I will try to do a full field review, and if anyone would like I can post up some pics.

I am in the market as well and I am leaning towards the S4 Gear Lockdown X which won't be available until MAY!!! I have just been running a harness w/o the pouch and after dragging my glass through way too much last season I am going to be getting something. What I really like about the lockdown is that there isn't anything EXTRA. Top and bottom pieces to protect my glass and a waist cinch to keep it from dropping in front of me on a stalk. The X version has thin material across the back that will allow me to wear my pack w/o feeling the material that's there.

Dead eye

FNG
I am in the market as well and I am leaning towards the S4 Gear Lockdown X which won't be available until MAY!!! I have just been running a harness w/o the pouch and after dragging my glass through way too much last season I am going to be getting something. What I really like about the lockdown is that there isn't anything EXTRA. Top and bottom pieces to protect my glass and a waist cinch to keep it from dropping in front of me on a stalk. The X version has thin material across the back that will allow me to wear my pack w/o feeling the material that's there.
The S4 is my least favorite of all the ones I have tried (Badlands, S4 and the Sitka) very limited adjustability on the straps and not that easy to get binos out of and back in with one hand! Evan, if you want one now I will send you the one I bought for my son!

Lawnboi

WKR

Glad to see S4 is atleast attempting to make it better, i know a while back i emailed a few things to them that i thought they could do better. Including what you mentioned above. But i have to agree w/ deadeye, very small amount of adjustibility, also its still elasitic so you still get a slight rubber band feeling. IMO the sitka bino bivy is 10x what the s4 was. I did not like that thing. It was just very uncomfortable, didnt fit worth a darn, and wasnt quite as easy to use as one would think. Honestly if it wasnt for the shipping id have to pay id send one your way for nothing too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
THe S4 is great likely for the rockies with limited rain and brush, but for up here in Alaska where you bank on rain and are pleasantly surprised when its not I like a bit more protection for my binos from the elements. The Alaska Guide Creations can be operated with one hand and is very quite to open/close. Something nice about being able to drop your pack in a hurry and carry one knowing you have your binos, range fiinder, GPS to mark your kill, knife and tag still with ya. :D

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The badlands can be snugged up pretty well and although it is not as compact as the one I have been using for years the bow clears it easily. I know some people shoot draw lengths that are kinda long for them and they tend to draw the bow closer to their chest to compensate. I would think any chest type bino case would be an issue for them. The only other issue I have with the Badlands model is the magnetic strip around the flap is so powerful you must be careful how you close it or it is very noisy.

Cabelas has them on sale right now.....

J-Daddy

WKR
I used the S4 last year and the Badlands Bino Vault....Both kinda sucked. To me the BadLands was more comfortable to wear around, but it feels like you have a freaking Little Playmate cooler strapped to your chest it's so big & bulky...Heck you can't even see the ground while walking, lol.
I used the S4 on an antelope hunt for a week last year and that thing sucks...It was hot so the biggest part of the week we were in t-shirts and stuff and they rub the back of your neck raw if your shirt doesnt have a hood or atleast a tall collar. For whitetail hunting I went back to my old Crooked Horn style harness with a Horn Hunter cover over the binos...I think I might try out the new Horn Hunter model sometime, it looks pretty decent.