Favorite/best headlamp?

jhm2023

WKR
I have a pile of Petzl, Black Diamond and Princetontec headlamps around the house with a lot of years of use between hunting and playing Army. Now I only use Zebralights that take 18650 batteries. The 1000 lumens on high is really nice when trying to negotiate could fall to your death type terrain or when a bear ventures into camp at night. The low and medium settings have great battery life and work well for general camp chores. I can run on one 18650 for an entire 10 day backcountry hunt with some power left to spare.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
I have looked into the zebralights in the past but man it makes my head spin trying to figure out what the hell I would want/need. Neutral, floody, white, 4000k, 5000k, etc etc. I understand the Kelvin part but thats about it

jhm2023

WKR
I have looked into the zebralights in the past but man it makes my head spin trying to figure out what the hell I would want/need. Neutral, floody, white, 4000k, 5000k, etc etc. I understand the Kelvin part but thats about it
Yea their website is pretty terrible. Even after ordering two lights on different occasions I still couldn't go back onto the website and figure out which one to buy again. I know I got 5,000k non-floody and they might be mk4 or something like that. Idk.

Customer service is good. I ordered glow in the dark holders and on one of the orders they sent the wrong size. Emailed them about it and they had the correct one on the way the next day.
d803d0798fab823750fc60c29a7e4c2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’m a big fan of my thrunite. Extremely user friendly, bright, adjustable, simple. Does everything I need it to do.

Drenalin

WKR
Nitecore NU25 from Litesmith with their UL headbands are fantastic. Super light and take up very little room when stored in a pocket or bino harness. I have multiple.

Son of a...I've really like my NU25 so far, never crossed my mind to make it lighter till you posted this. And yes, I'm absolutely the kind of person who will buy a gadget to save 0.68 ounces. Curse you Rokslide!

Aside from the NU25 that I'm still forming a final opinion on, I've had great luck out the Petzl Tactikkas. Black Diamond Spots were nice too, but quickly became unreliable.

ChrisAU

WKR
Son of a...I've really like my NU25 so far, never crossed my mind to make it lighter till you posted this. And yes, I'm absolutely the kind of person who will buy a gadget to save 0.68 ounces. Curse you Rokslide!

Aside from the NU25 that I'm still forming a final opinion on, I've had great luck out the Petzl Tactikkas. Black Diamond Spots were nice too, but quickly became unreliable.

Makes it easier to stuff into a pocket too ha

Squirrels

WKR
I have a Zebra headlamp (H600c Mk IV H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 4000K High CRI Headlamp) and a handheld (SC600w IV Plus SC600w Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50.2 Neutral White Flashlight), I like them both very much. I did order 3 different variations of the Sofirn headlamps and 2 different variations of handhelds. I will report back once they all arrive. If they are anywhere close I can own 4 headlamps and 2 handhelds from Sofirn for the price of the two Zebras.

Zappaman

WKR
After you get to many to know how each "unlocks" you just start doing it this way ;)

But I confess, I've tried to turn on lights after getting out in the field-- tapping and wondering for a few seconds... then I remember and simply twist the cap ;)

Button

WKR
My favorite is fenix hl55. I’ve had it for years, ranges from dim to extremely bright and durable. Takes one 18650 battery.

Blandry

WKR
Fenix HL60R. Hands down. I dont like the black diamond ones. I used one for 5 years and then switched last fall. Will never go back.
I have one of these and it's fan freaking tastic but a little heavy. I really only use it when I need 1000 lumens+ haha which is not that often but the low setting is nice as well. It's a great headlamp. I have a couple other 20 lumen something cheapies that I use more often but when you need to turn night into day the HL60R is great.

I have a Zebra headlamp (H600c Mk IV H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 4000K High CRI Headlamp) and a handheld (SC600w IV Plus SC600w Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50.2 Neutral White Flashlight), I like them both very much. I did order 3 different variations of the Sofirn headlamps and 2 different variations of handhelds. I will report back once they all arrive. If they are anywhere close I can own 4 headlamps and 2 handhelds from Sofirn for the price of the two Zebras.

Interested in hearing your comparison!

Gavin

FNG
Another vote for the Fenix HL60R, living where we do north of 60 and having a dog that requires walks (Karelian) means we use it every night for around 4 months a year. I bought a couple of the extra capacity batteries, surprised how little I actually have to charge it. I like not having to throw away burnt up AAA batteries. As mentioned its a bit heavier but I don't really notice it when using the center strap. For me the reliability and the amount of hours between charges is a reasonable trade-off for an ounce or 2 weight penalty.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask you guys that use the rechargable headlamps how they do in the cold? Does it shorten the life quite a bit? I really like the idea of using rechargable but I am a little afraid about taking into the field for multi day hunts. We are usually out for 7-14 days and have no way to recharge. Do you just bring an extra battery? The other time I use my light is for ice fishing and I know that my other lights really get their butts kicked with the cold. This sofirn light sure looks nice. I'm looking forward to some feedback. I've got a pile of other battery headlights and flashlights, what's one more! haha

Squirrels

WKR
Can I ask you guys that use the rechargable headlamps how they do in the cold? Does it shorten the life quite a bit? I really like the idea of using rechargable but I am a little afraid about taking into the field for multi day hunts. We are usually out for 7-14 days and have no way to recharge. Do you just bring an extra battery? The other time I use my light is for ice fishing and I know that my other lights really get their butts kicked with the cold. This sofirn light sure looks nice. I'm looking forward to some feedback. I've got a pile of other battery headlights and flashlights, what's one more! haha
I'm getting really long run times with any lights powered by 18650 batteries. If you ever go that direction I don't think you could be disappointed. I'd take 1 extra battery for over a week, depending on your useage you may or may not need it. Buying and throwing away AAA and AA batteries for lights seems archaic to me at this point.

I use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for pretty much everything in and out of the house and have never had any real issues. There are two headlamps that stay in my pickup (parked outside) for ice fishing 24/7, both with rechargeables. I’m sure stepping up to an 18650 light would be even better.

twall13

WKR
I use headlamps a lot trail running, hiking, walking the dog, etc. I've been a big fan of the Zebralights for several years now. I've also used Fenix in several models feel like they make a good product, but I've always preferred the Zebras for some of the little details, the programming, etc. I just purchased a couple of the Sofirn's after reading through this thread. I actually lent an old Zebralight using the 16340 battery platform to my son and he lost it while camping last year. Since Zebra doesn't make that model anymore and it was one of my favorites for how compact/light it was I've been looking for a replacement using that battery platform as I have like 5 of those batteries kicking around. Fenix has one that's on sale for $59.95. Sofrin has one for $22.99 so I ordered one along with the larger light using the 18650. I've been very impressed with the 18650 battery platform in headlamps so I'll happily compare this one to my Zebra (and previous experience with a Fenix) for the price. If it's anywhere close to as good as those brands, at this price, it's a homerun. Thanks for posting it up.

TheTone

WKR
Agreed! I’ve come close to a couple orders but was so darn confused I said forget it. I’m going to pull the trigger on a sofrin or two