Favorite .270 Winchester Bullet Type/Weight

Copy on that.
I don't deliberately go for the shoulder either, sounds like the TA's have more aggressive initial expansion on non-shoulder hits.

It depends on what your rifle shoots, but youd be hard pressed to find anything better than a 130gr TTSX. IMO a 270 with 130gr mono bullet will do just fine on everything in the lower 48 if you stay within 500yds and under and arent some long rangr larper wanna be who wounds animals.

For elk Ill still carry my 300 win mag in case of a 500 yard shot. But deer, black bear im carrying my trusty Tikka 270.

Lots of great recommendations here! With you being an experienced reloader, I’m sure you’ll heed the advice of “shoot what the gun seems to like best.”

I couldn’t get my .270 to like 140 or 150 gr bullets for the life of me. Because of that, I’ve always stuck with 130 gr.

Factory Barnes (vor-tx) and Hornady (American Whitetail) have been great and very flat shooting.

I recently reloaded some Berger Classic Hunters in 130 gr as well. They’ve been excellent for precision on the range and taken a few bucks + elk.
Right now it's either barnes lrx 129 or the Hornady outfitters

OP
K

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all so much. I have a real nice load with 4831sc and 130’s at 3100fps worked up. Sub MOA right now. I am going to continue trying 140’s and 150’s because it is winter and fun to experiment.

This has been a great project and I cannot believe I waited so long to mess with this great cartridge.

Fotis

FNG
My go to load.... Model 70 Featherweight 270 Win

dNMu31v.jpg

VanDusen

FNG
I hesitate to say what is my favorite now, because I’m all but the certain the CX will be once I get my hands on a box of them.

dsmiley

FNG
Hello All,
I am an experienced reloader and just acquired my first .270 Win after many years of looking for the right one. It has a 24” barrel 1:10 twist. I am interested in your thoughts for your favorite traditional bullet type/weight. I will be using this on western big game (Bear, antelope, deer, maybe elk). Thanks in advance.
I made a great load with 130gr partitions. Work up your own load wasn't near max. Wife bang flopped her mule dear in October.

Attachments

• 20220911_182225.jpg
    20220911_182225.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 20

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
In the beginning, I used the 130gr Hornady SST, with great results, have switched to Barnes TTSX with the same great results on game. I am now in the testing of Hammer AH 126gr. So far the Hammer are looking good, on paper, haven't tried them on game yet.

rcook10

WKR
150gr bullets are tough to beat, they just about go through anything. I like 150gr accubonds and 7828ssc - loaded to 3.5” I can get 3040fps with a 24” barrel and can.

Mjmaida

FNG
(All 130 gr.) I’ve been shooting a .270 browning A-bolt for 10 years and have had no reason to get rid of it. I love it. Started with federal fusion factory ammo. Huge bust groups were everywhere but still killed the animals at 100 yards. Then came Barnes factory TTSX. DEADLY. I used that till about Covid hit and could get sub moa out to 300 no problems. You cannot find TTSX to this day factory loaded so I decided to buy the bullets and reload, gave that about a year give or take before I decided at this moment I’m just not head over hells into reloading. Found the next closest thing in factory hornady gmx and I don’t know why but I like them even more than the TTSX. I’ve killed everything I’ve shot this past season without even having to look for it and one was a WT buck at 278 yards. Walked 5 feet and fell over. My new go to round and honestly I’ve been hearing about the CX, so I will be giving that a try and might just move to that instead. Heard even better things than the gmx. Either way my point is if your shooting game within 300 yards and want a deadly round I’d go with a copper load. It will shoot way beyond that with accuracy so no worries there.

Used the 270 for many years. For us the best all around bullet was 140 ballistic tip, somewhat soft at first but always had a good exit even on elk. Used out to 400 or a little more.
130 interlock flat base used for deer and bears. have had some penetration issues through shoulder, depending on shot angle, but behind the shoulder was very impressive with massive exits. Used out to 400 but just never impressed me overall like the 140bt.

stevevan

WKR
Personal favorite is 150gr nosler partitions. They do everything I need for a western big game rifle out to 550yards or so. Has accounted for numerous deer, elk, Mtn goat, and antelope. But honestly dang near any bullet would work. I’ve used 130, 140 &150 accubonds, 140 Hornady BTSP, and 130 & 150 Hornady SP interlocks…all worked just fine as well. But I just keep coming back to the 150gr partition as a do all killer in all conditions and shot opportunities.
Hammer Hunter 117 grain!!!

slush

FNG
Hello All,
I am an experienced reloader and just acquired my first .270 Win after many years of looking for the right one. It has a 24” barrel 1:10 twist. I am interested in your thoughts for your favorite traditional bullet type/weight. I will be using this on western big game (Bear, antelope, deer, maybe elk). Thanks in advance.
MY two .270 shoots 130 gr. the Nosler Accubonds and the Hornady Interbonds with, 54.5 grains of IMR4350 powder. I have killed mule deer, antelope and hogs with mine. The .270 is my favorite round and has the most one-shot kills, for me.