Father/Son Hunt Advice

Caudle8

FNG
Good morning all,

First off, thanks for all the info you guys share with new western hunters. For a Midwest guy, some of the info you share has been amazing for trying to navigate the western hunting world.

I know several of you have probably been in similar situations yourself, so I was curious to see what your thoughts/experience/suggestions were. In no way looking to get someone’s location or even units, just general input. When I was growing up, my dad always talked about going out west for an elk hunt, but never made it due to time and money constraints. Since I’ve gotten older and started my own life and career, I’d like to give something back to him and take him on his first experience before he gets too much older. Any suggestions on where would be a decent place to take him without having to put in the super vertical miles of some of the western states? Obviously I would love to take him on an elk hunt to fulfill the dream he has had for years, but I also realize that this is a little bit of a long shot. If elk isn’t an option, I think he would be ecstatic with a mule deer hunt as well. At the end of the day, my goal would be to spend some quality time together and give him a chance at an animal.

I would like to take him on a hunt either this year or next. I know I missed all of the app dates for this year (honestly planned on picking up an OTC or leftover tag myself for a freezer filler). What would you suggest for either of these options? I know that without having points built up, I’m not going to get him into a prime unit anytime soon, but would still like to give him the opportunity so at least see a bull/buck.

Thanks again for all of the info that you experienced guys share, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

If ur dad is at the age where you feel he couldn’t physically handle a hard elk hunt, mule deer may be an easier option. But you could still have options for elk hunts. Although all deer tags are draw there are tags you could draw with 0PP, this is where ur gonna have to do the research to find a buck tag that he has a high chance of drawing. This will atleast get him out west, but then what I would do is save the money to get him a bull tag as well. There are a lot of units Hwy have quite a few roads you could access a lot of area then go hike a little deeper to his abilities. This way you’re hunting bucks but if a bull runs out he has the chance. I’m suggesting the buck as your main target mainly because you’re most likely going to have a higher success rate. This could be your 100% DIY option.

Next step up would be a outfitted drop camp hunt. These hunts will typically horseback you in to the camp which gets you further in without making ur dad have to hike in. Once ur up there it’s you and ur dad hunting how you’d like with minimal help. Pack in pack out, game pack out, a camp set up, you bring food and go hunting.

Then you could go fully guided, this isn’t super cost effective but will give you the highest chance at success. These can be public land or private, lodge hunt, tent camp, whatever you like, you show up to hunt and ur guide assists you.

Regardless going an OTC unit is going to be ur only option this year and picking up a leftover buck tag for a decent unit is possible but most leftover buck tags are going to be for the lower quality units. My suggestion is start planning this year and plan to go 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where we hunt there are some pretty easy options. It is also accessible with ATV trails all over. There are options for sure. We muzzleloader hunt, so it takes a point or two to get in. I believe there are OTC archery tags though. Options are there for sure

Gerbdog

WKR
BigAntler above here guides and has good advice for you there, i'd listen to him as im sure he's helped in these situations many times.

I agree with what he said, and if you need to save another couple years to go fully guided on private land then i would do that for your dad. It's his best chances at a bull without physical conditioning. Avoiding vertical miles for bulls in public lands is totally possible but you gotta know where those lowland / desert bulls are ahead of time.... often this is on private land where you will need a trespassing fee if they even let you on.

I was talking to a hunter in the airport a couple years ago and he only hunts bulls in the lowlands along a river.... i was surprised but he knows where they are..... and knows the owner of that land... which is the big key there.

Sage flats can hold a good amount of bulls also and the land usually is below the steep vertical of the mountains... think rolling rocky hills, but i would come do some serious scouting ahead of time if i were you.... again its not that they arent there.... its just finding them

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
The learning curve is very steep, if you haven’t spent a lot of time out west hunting Elk. Also, without points, your odds of getting a decent tag are very low.

If it’s in the realm of budget, I would seriously consider an outfitted hunt, on private land. Cost varies dramatically on the potential trophy potential for Bulls. A private land hunt in an area with just average bulls, can be fairly reasonable.

I know several guys that struggle ALOT, even after hunting on their own for several years on public land. If you want to explore guided options, call the guys at Epic outdoors, and explain your situation, and I’m sure they would send you in a very good direction. They know their business. Good luck

No one wants to hear it. But western hunting is full. There's no room for anymore people.

There are great options , I would look at South TX hog hunting/gulf fishing combos.

Easy for older guys, awesome adventure, soft weather, etc.

A lot of African hunts are cheaper than American elk hunts, and you can shoot multiple elk sized critters.

Don't get mentally boxed in.

With zero points and less physical capabilities, a guided hunt in an OTC unit or private land will give the greatest probability of a shot on an animal.

What is the focus of your dad's desire; hunting out west or specifically shooting an elk?

If the goal is a DIY adventure, get some tags and go. Odds are you won't harvest, but you will see some gorgeous country and make memories.

Bachto

WKR
No one wants to hear it. But western hunting is full. There's no room for anymore people.
Was this a necessary comment for this post? The guy is just trying to give back to his dad and the first thing you typed was negative, come on. I don't even think this type of mentality belongs on this entire sight, but certainly not this this thread.

OP I would look into a guided or semi-guided hunt/drop camp hunt, you will have to pay more to play but this would expedite the wait some or even totally eliminate it. I know some ranches and outfitters offer small bulls or even cow tags pretty reasonably which might be something to look into. This would get him into the mountains out west.

This is something he has posted several times. Truth is elk hunting has become very popular and possibly over run, but the truth of the matter is Public land is public land. Personally i am a resident of CO, i know that the wildlife of CO actually Relies on the Non Resident hunters. The population of CO hunters would not be able to support the wildlife, and although the resident hunters on the western states claim they would prefer a tag increase if it cut down the amount of Non Resident hunters, the opinion pushed fourth to the CPW Boards in the past always wanted the raises pushed to non residents and not the residents. Overcrowding has become an issue in alot of units but ive also seen that getting away from crowds is relatively easy. Everyone is welcome in every state.

Sorry to hijack the post from the OP but just needed to say that, im getting very tired of the fight between Residents and Non Residents as its just going to kill the sport completely and let the Anti's win.

I hope that the OP ends up figuring out something for his dad, there are alot of options and im sure will find something in his budget

I figured I would throw some insight into this from a resident point of view in western Montana. If you have easy access - there is already a tremendous amount of pressure. If you add snow- a sizable number stay home or at least won't get out of the vehicle. If you are 1-2 miles in - the number of hunters will likely be cut to 1%. Add 500 ft of elevation and thick timber and it's just you and the pine squirrels.

A large number of the FS roads are closed on October 15. If you scout before that you will have lots of company but the majority will be grouse hunting or wood cutting. For rifle hunting it's the luck of the draw if elk will be where you are. That's a function of pressure and the weather.

I know the country I hunt in like my backyard. I have killed elk in it nearly every year but have gotten skunked the last two years. Last year I hunted 40 days with a rifle and saw one cow briefly. I got close enough to smell a small bunch of bulls one day. In 17, we packed elk out nearly every other day. What happened in between is anybodies guess.

The probability of killing a big bull in ground you don't know is right up there with winning the lottery. It happens - occasionaly. I know a number of hunters that hunted their entire lives and killed one bull - no cows just one bull.

One technique is to drive the roads until you cut tracks and chase them. Another is to bundle up, find a ridge and glass - day after day. The locals I know get up early, drive into a park in the dark and sit in the truck with it running and wait for the elk to show up. About 9:30 they go to town for breakfast and return at about 4:00 until dark.

The time spent with your dad is a critical item and should be valued. How you do it is your choice. Meat is a bonus program in ground you don't know.

The learning curve is very steep, if you haven’t spent a lot of time out west hunting Elk. Also, without points, your odds of getting a decent tag are very low.

If it’s in the realm of budget, I would seriously consider an outfitted hunt, on private land. Cost varies dramatically on the potential trophy potential for Bulls. A private land hunt in an area with just average bulls, can be fairly reasonable.

I know several guys that struggle ALOT, even after hunting on their own for several years on public land. If you want to explore guided options, call the guys at Epic outdoors, and explain your situation, and I’m sure they would send you in a very good direction. They know their business. Good luck
2nd this and most of what the others have said. Imo, OTC tags are generally hard to fill but give alot of experience.

Im from the Midwest and have several western hunts under my belt. With my knowledge and experience I would recommend saving for another year or two and doing a guided (and probably relatively expensive) hunt. There are several outfitters in states like Wyoming (7 J outfitters, etc...) that have a good reputation for filling tags. It sounds like you would only be able to do this hunt once, maybe twice. With that in mind success would be pretty important and having an outfitter would help tremendously, only it costs quite a bit to do.

Or another option could be you going out and getting several years of experience in otc units and in the meantime building points with your dad and in several years cashing them in on a state like wyoming or colorado and then you could even do a drop-off camp or a semi-guided hunt.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Whip

WKR
If a guided hunt is a possibility I sent you a private messages with a suggestion.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
My two son's and I bow hunted last year and went DIY and really had a hunt of a lifetime. Each person was responsible for his own tent , sleeping system and food. The farthest we camped from the truck was about 3 miles and sometimes hunted 6-8 miles from the truck. Luckily when my son shot his bull we were about a mile from the truck and the three of us made two trips getting him packed out.

OP
Caudle8

Caudle8

FNG
I figured I would throw some insight into this from a resident point of view in western Montana. If you have easy access - there is already a tremendous amount of pressure. If you add snow- a sizable number stay home or at least won't get out of the vehicle. If you are 1-2 miles in - the number of hunters will likely be cut to 1%. Add 500 ft of elevation and thick timber and it's just you and the pine squirrels.

A large number of the FS roads are closed on October 15. If you scout before that you will have lots of company but the majority will be grouse hunting or wood cutting. For rifle hunting it's the luck of the draw if elk will be where you are. That's a function of pressure and the weather.

I know the country I hunt in like my backyard. I have killed elk in it nearly every year but have gotten skunked the last two years. Last year I hunted 40 days with a rifle and saw one cow briefly. I got close enough to smell a small bunch of bulls one day. In 17, we packed elk out nearly every other day. What happened in between is anybodies guess.

The probability of killing a big bull in ground you don't know is right up there with winning the lottery. It happens - occasionaly. I know a number of hunters that hunted their entire lives and killed one bull - no cows just one bull.

One technique is to drive the roads until you cut tracks and chase them. Another is to bundle up, find a ridge and glass - day after day. The locals I know get up early, drive into a park in the dark and sit in the truck with it running and wait for the elk to show up. About 9:30 they go to town for breakfast and return at about 4:00 until dark.

The time spent with your dad is a critical item and should be valued. How you do it is your choice. Meat is a bonus program in ground you don't know.
Thanks for your insight. Honestly I’ll be looking just to put him in some action, by no means expecting to take home a huge animal on our first trip o
Have you considered antelope hunts?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
yes, am leaning towards an antelope or mule deer. I think antelope would be a good one to get his feet wet and gain experience with for the future

OP
Caudle8

Caudle8

FNG
My two son's and I bow hunted last year and went DIY and really had a hunt of a lifetime. Each person was responsible for his own tent , sleeping system and food. The farthest we camped from the truck was about 3 miles and sometimes hunted 6-8 miles from the truck. Luckily when my son shot his bull we were about a mile from the truck and the three of us made two trips getting him packed out.
Thats awesome, hoping I can have a good experience like yours!

Good morning all,

First off, thanks for all the info you guys share with new western hunters. For a Midwest guy, some of the info you share has been amazing for trying to navigate the western hunting world.

I know several of you have probably been in similar situations yourself, so I was curious to see what your thoughts/experience/suggestions were. In no way looking to get someone’s location or even units, just general input. When I was growing up, my dad always talked about going out west for an elk hunt, but never made it due to time and money constraints. Since I’ve gotten older and started my own life and career, I’d like to give something back to him and take him on his first experience before he gets too much older. Any suggestions on where would be a decent place to take him without having to put in the super vertical miles of some of the western states? Obviously I would love to take him on an elk hunt to fulfill the dream he has had for years, but I also realize that this is a little bit of a long shot. If elk isn’t an option, I think he would be ecstatic with a mule deer hunt as well. At the end of the day, my goal would be to spend some quality time together and give him a chance at an animal.

I would like to take him on a hunt either this year or next. I know I missed all of the app dates for this year (honestly planned on picking up an OTC or leftover tag myself for a freezer filler). What would you suggest for either of these options? I know that without having points built up, I’m not going to get him into a prime unit anytime soon, but would still like to give him the opportunity so at least see a bull/buck.

Thanks again for all of the info that you experienced guys share, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
These are always some of my favorite posts - tell me you are looking for somebody’s honey hole without telling me you are looking for somebody’s honey hole. Guys go on forums all the time claiming they are going to to take their dad or kid hoping somebody will spill the beans. He has already implied their will be multiple trips out west.

Either go figure it out yourself and then take dad once you do, or pay a guide.

Sent you a PM on an Outfit that has a unique situations and has the ability to assist an older even handicapped hunter.

OP
Caudle8

Caudle8

FNG
These are always some of my favorite posts - tell me you are looking for somebody’s honey hole without telling me you are looking for somebody’s honey hole. Guys go on forums all the time claiming they are going to to take their dad or kid hoping somebody will spill the beans. He has already implied their will be multiple trips out west.

Either go figure it out yourself and then take dad once you do, or pay a guide.
I’m sorry that you interpreted the line “In no way looking to get someone’s location or even units, just general input” as me looking for someone’s honey hole. 🤦‍♂️