Fatal grizzly attack in Montana today

Last encounter I had back there was a couple years ago. Had a bear come to meet pole just outside camp. He wouldn't leave and started angling toward me. Little bird shot with some yelling he never came back. Had a hunter in outhouse at the time. Everytime after that when a hunter had to use it after dark they had a guard outside the proper. We got a good laugh out of it.
that makes the outhouse a hole new experience!!

Sioux33

FNG
Grizzlies have been wandering into this town and many others for years. Nothing unique about this one other than a deadly attack, which is very unfortunate to every involved and SHOULD be taken by surprise.

I find it strange that some of the first post to this topic is must of been a city slicker or why aren’t we putting the fear into bears by hunting. I didn’t realize how easy it is for some to pick apart the little public knowledge that’s known to this point. Bear was believed to come into camp multiple times, I do agree, from someone who has spent many days and nights in grizzly country, this doesn’t make sense why they didn’t moved camp and also shame on anyone who might have been aware of the bear and didn’t speak up. But I guess it could be similar to some “country boy” visiting the big city and happened to look the wrong person in the eyes and is found stone cold on the curb… their place of origins and objective for being there is irrelevant

I camp in this greater area often with my family and it’s uncommon to not find evidence of grizzly bears. Even my 3 year old can follow their tracks in the mud.

I strongly encourage anyone to support the delisting of grizzlies, just like I have and still do. But let’s have some compassion while we do it.

Nothing wrong with having compassion, but a dose of common sense would be nice too.

I actually live an hour from Ovando and spend time there every now and then. We're heading down a path where this is going to be common place and what's gonna happen when it's someone's kid that gets killed?

And if we're all about bringing bears back into human occupied territory, look at what the end result is of all this. A person's dead and they're currently patrolling a chopper around Ovando to gun down the bear, all on the taxpayer's dime. Tough to buy into all of that, especially when it's in your own backyard.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Nothing wrong with having compassion, but a dose of common sense would be nice too.

I actually live an hour from Ovando and spend time there every now and then. We're heading down a path where this is going to be common place and what's gonna happen when it's someone's kid that gets killed?

And if we're all about bringing bears back into human occupied territory, look at what the end result is of all this. A person's dead and they're currently patrolling a chopper around Ovando to gun down the bear, all on the taxpayer's dime. Tough to buy into all of that, especially when it's in your own backyard.

I doubt there is any hope of changing the thinking about keeping Grizzly Bears. "HOWEVER" what is needed, and what could be done that would "mitigate" somewhat the amount of fatal encounters........is a large effort to educate people, especially as to how to react to bear encounters, there is still mush "flawed" information being forwarded. I am also a large advocate that a 12.5 ounce .357 Mag. weighs half as much as a can of orange spray. It also has four foot of belch'fire flame for those who miss shots.

MTtrout

WKR
@Sioux33 I think we are mostly on the same page, except the comment about using tax payers dollars. With all the BS our taxes are spent on, I am very happy to see it used to gun down a problem bear.

You are right about using common sense and the need for increasing out reach programs to educate more people. I feel Montana does a good job at this but also happy to see my tax dollars going towards furthering the programs out there.

Living with grizzly bears is definitely another thing to think about and some don’t care much for that, I get it. There was a grizzly confirmed by FWP a few miles from my house where there’s only a couple large acre lots separating my house to the forest boundary. I’m not trying to compare my situation with someone that actually lives with bears but it does give you that sense of it being in your backyard, like you mentioned. It’s becoming more difficult to find places in western Montana where my family and I can spent outdoors without the various chances of a grizzly being in the area, but I’m cool with that.

I’m a big supporter of delisting bears. This has already been said many times by others but it’s ridiculous to think someone has to decide between a huge fine or jail time (if it’s determined that the bear wasn’t presenting a life threatening situation) vs them trying to save themselves, loved one, or what have you. I guess my point is that grizzly bears aren’t going anywhere in our lifetime and I personally sure hope they don’t. This isn’t directed towards you but I think it’s childish that the first reaction out of people’s mouths is must of been city folk, the 3 S’s, and all the other nonsensical reactions. Vote delisting.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
At some point something needs to be done. At some point if you live immersed with an over abundance of these massive animals, and no one else is stepping up to deal with-it, it shifts to a few individuals to mitigate the problem.

Now before people start jumping on me about this.......I want to be clear, I am referencing towards fairly small areas that have a massive abundance of bears. The "key" word here is "Massive". It would be nice if the government would mitigate the problem.

This will be interesting to see if anything changes since it's now national news...

Love the pic and wording they used for maximum fear factor:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-051002_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210708-051002_Chrome.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 48
What a way to go. As someone who has bikepacked a lot south of Wyoming, bikers rarely have bear canisters or hang beer bags. Got to go lightweight and slim.

Last edited:
I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish that, as above, there would be a requirement to relocate grizz bears all over the West and as far as they were rumored to be in the last thousand years. The California state flag has a grizzly, doesn't it? City, urban and rural people in every Western state should be able to deal with grizzlies if the people of Ovando, Lincoln and all over Montana have to.
Careful what you wish for…we’ll do it, then you’ll have to fly to New Zeland if you wanna get away from griz == more tagz 4 me! Just kidding. Kinda.

I recognize I’m in the the minority here, because I’d like griz in more, even most, places (which seems like kind of an odd minority for a bear hunting forum).

But I also think there’s a real lack of understanding by people who have never lived around griz about the logistics and PITA-factor they bring to even the most mundane outdoor activities. It’s great when you glass them up all majestic-like half a mile away out the window of your rig in the Lamar valley. It’s another deal when one eats your dog off the leash at 3 am right outside your house. The majesty wears off pretty fast and you are just left with the uncomfortable reality of sharing your space with an incredibly well-equipped and versatile predator that (at the risk of anthropomorphizing) can sometimes just be kind of a di(k.

I do think hunting would help. I lived in SE Alaska for a while in a place with far more bears than MT or WYO (I know they are diff animals). We also had hunting lodges nearby that targeted brown bears. The bears there KNEW people were trouble—they’d always avoid you if given a chance and you almost never saw mature boars.