Fastest Military Crimp Removal

treillw

WKR
What's the fastest way to remove the military crimp from 4k pieces of 5.56 brass without spending a ton of money to do it?

I know there are machines that can do it in a couple hours, but I'm not spending $2k to do it. Also want something more effective than the phillips head screw driver bit trick.

Thanks!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Probably with a primer pocket swager die. I think I can probably do about 20 pieces a minute, so 4k would probably take 4 hours of labor or so.

Vern400

WKR
RCBS makes a primer pocket swedging tool that mounts on a bench. It works.

They also make a special swedging die that drops right into a rock chucker press. Effort goes way down. It works. I don't have the part number handy.

I use a good bit of LC once fired milspec brass. 5.56 and 7.62.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the type of crimp. The older circular crimp is best removed with a Swagging tool. Dillon makes a decent one.

if it’s the new 4 prong stake that LC had to go to for the new 855A1, you can’t remove it without distorting the case head.

Still a pain in the ass but I’ve got a few tools and use this one the most. Once they’re prepped I shoot em up several times over.

Check out Millworks brass they sell cheap prepped 223. Good luck.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Here are the tools:

I have the RCBS tool that fits in my rock chucker. So far I have not had great results ,still in the learning stage with it. Has anyone used the Lee Ram swage ? It looks like it would work far better. The issue I have is brass sticking on the swager head with the RCBS.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I have the RCBS tool that fits in my rock chucker. So far I have not had great results ,still in the learning stage with it. Has anyone used the Lee Ram swage ? It looks like it would work far better. The issue I have is brass sticking on the swager head with the RCBS.
I had this issue with the RCBS as well, but I started to get a feel for what was just enough force. When I use the minimum force, they come off a lot easier. Good to have a primer pocket no-go gauge to spot check and adjust depth as well. Haven’t used any other tools, but have read a lot of positives about Dillon’s.

You have to use the "cup" looking piece. Place it inverted (open side down) over the ram so that the swaging "nipple" protrudes thru the hole when you raise the ram. As you are raising the ram, the cup moves down a little so the nipple is protruding thru the hole and put the deprimed brass on the nipple as you slowly raise it into the die. The stud in the die bottoms out on the inside (bottom) of the case, and the nipple swages the crimp. As you lower the ram, the inverted cup contacts the base of the press at the bottom of the stroke, and it pushes the swaged brass off of the nipple. Once you get the stud depth adjusted in the die, it really goes quickly.

Laelkhunter thanks for the info. I had the cup on like you described but obviously I do not have the adjustment right yet. I have about 1000 .223 cases to swage so I should get the hang of it with that much practice.

I have the Franklin Arsenal pocket swager...cheapest fastest method I could find. Well worth the 85 or so bucks from Amazon.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have the one for the hornady ammo plant....it works well, fast and I've corrected every crimp style discussed.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Dillon Super Swage. Makes fairly quick work of the process.