Farting in the Woods

Loper

WKR
Last fall when in the elk woods, my hunting buddy would not stop farting! It first hit me when we were walking along a trail and he was 5-10 yards in front of me. I was getting a whiff of a foul stench and initially thought that we were coming upon a carcass. But after a mile or so I kept smelling it and learned that the death was coming from my buddies ass.

The farts just kept coming and coming and coming. I learned real quick to lead the way so I didn’t have to trail behind the stench. Some were loud but most were inaudible and you didn’t know they were expelled until 15-30 seconds later when it hit your nose.

I kept telling my buddy to plug it up as it was affecting the hunt. He seemed to think otherwise and after a few days of the non-stop waves of funk I think he started to believe that it might be a factor.

Long story short, we only got into elk once in 5 days and ate tag soup. I’m convinced that his farts were a big contributing factor, he still thinks it wasn’t that big of a deal.

It didn’t stop when we got out of the woods either. On the way home it was below freezing and the truck quickly began to stink so bad I was forced to drive with the windows down it was pretty brutal.

Have any of you had this issue or a buddy that won’t stop farting? Do you think the odor affects animals and the hunt? I blame the dehydrated meals or maybe the IPAs my buddy had the night before we first started hunting. Any suggestions I can pass along to my hunting partner to stop the stink? If it happens again this season I may be looking for a new hunting partner.

I dunno about the IPAs, but dehydrated meals of any sort turn me into a toxic gas machine.

I'll never forget my first backpacking trip years ago when I had those dehydrated meals for the first time. I farted, and when I rolled over 30 minutes later I could STILL smell it. You know its bad when you can't even stand your own brand.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't much aside from abandoning the mountain houses to solve the issue.

As far as animals go, I would agree that it made no difference if you were hunting the wind right. If they could smell the stench, they could also smell you.

I will also agree that your buddy gassing you out of the truck is pretty messed up. Its funny once or something, but after that you know you gotta ride hours in the truck why are you making it worse purposely?

def90

WKR
If you are working the wind the way you are supposed to it shouldn't matter, but then again who wants to spend a week in the woods with some foul smelling asshole?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
This.... this right here is how you know hunting season cannot get here soon enough.
So true.
i will also agree that your buddy gassing you out of the truck is pretty messed up. It’s funny once or something, but after that you know you gotta ride hours in the truck why are you making it worse purposely?
Yeah that was a rough ride home. .

KBC

WKR
If you are working the wind the way you are supposed to it shouldn't matter, but then again who wants to spend a week in the woods with some foul smelling asshole?
I try not to think about it this way since I pretty much always hunt solo.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I had a bad situation a couple years ago with a Mountain House Beefaroni or whatever it's called. I dropped in a bunch of splooches of hot sauce and the next day I was like the human methane machine. I'm guessing any animal downwind was like "WTF is that?". They smelled real bad. It was snowing real bad that day but I could not sit in my truck.

Sorry should’ve added this. Was on an elk hunt last year and one of my buddies had the hot dog farts…he was pootin up and down the mountain and we still got into plenty of elk. We didn’t get one until a few days later but that wasn’t because of his farting.