Family Vacation Ideas with Fishing

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for inputs on family vacation the first week in October. Kids are 5/8. We’ve done the beach the last two years and wife is looking for something different. Right now criteria is possibility of fishing, hiking, boat/kayak and fall colors and Resort/lodge type on the water preferred.

Looking Great Lakes area and West Virginia right now, but anything within a 10-12 hour drive from north Alabama is an option.

Rented a cabin in a very rural area about an 1hr from Charleston, was a little to cold to fish. But a great trip and a first for WV for us.

Looking for inputs on family vacation the first week in October. Kids are 5/8. We’ve done the beach the last two years and wife is looking for something different. Right now criteria is possibility of fishing, hiking, boat/kayak and fall colors and Resort/lodge type on the water preferred.

Looking Great Lakes area and West Virginia right now, but anything within a 10-12 hour drive from north Alabama is an option.
Send the wife and kids to Disney World and go fishing with a buddy for a week.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if it's within your driving range of 10-12 hours but if you can get up to the adirondack mountains that would be my vote. Tons of lakes to choose from, great fishingand hiking, and beautiful.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Are you looking to go far? Why not save half a day's drive, Id look into going to Tennessee/Kentucky. Lake cumberland, mammoth cave NP.

I'm not sure if it's within your driving range of 10-12 hours but if you can get up to the adirondack mountains that would be my vote. Tons of lakes to choose from, great fishingand hiking, and beautiful.
I agree with this! Might be a little farther but all the stand land, lakes and mountains you could ever want to explore.

Dbolick

FNG
I’m in NE Tennessee and there is incredible trout fishing opportunities here, especially on the watauga river but more so the south Holston river. Large wild brown trout are plentiful there. It’s wadable when water is not being released from the lake, also there are many opportunities to do float trips. There’s an abundance of smaller streams to fish as well

It is farther than your 12 max, and I know you have already chosen a place, but if you are looking for a future trip, check out Ludlows Island Resort on Lake Vermilion, MN. Beautiful area, some of the best walleye and pike fishing in MN, and the folks who run and own the resort are amazing people.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
The Ozarks can be a lot of fun for the family. Small mouth and trout fishing, hiking options, and easy floats all over the place.

OP
W

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
@HandgunHTR That sounds amazing and will have to file this one away for when we have more than 5 days free. I've always wanted to do an upper midwest trip. Never been walleye or pike fishing before.