Family life and hunting life

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Id like to get some feed back on this subject. I love the outdoors and love to hunt. I'm married with three kids, 2 boys and one girl. I have a blue collar job with a little more the 2 weeks of vacation a year. Both of my boys are heavily involved with sports and my girl is only 4 months old. With my past experince and research I do I've learned in order to be a successful hunter year in and year out I need to spend all of my vacation time and most of my weekends out in the field ( which I'd really enjoy doing that) with that being said how does a family man commit to his kids , his wife , his job, and still have ALL that time one needs to be outdoors??

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
For me it has been limiting myself to just big game .... I have been blessed with a great wife who understands that it is my passion,and kids that with age are starting to really getting as well ... I stopped hunting waterfowl real hard . To free up time with my family for me and them and that has helped alot of the guilt I had and all of the guilt that was given to me :)

Squatch

FNG
The best answer i can give is to make the best of the time you have. In a similar situation myself so i do a LOT of "cyber-scouting" and map study. Find the areas that look like good hunting according to the lay of the land and schedule time to visit far in advance of any major events or hunting seasons. Once or twice per month I take the family hiking or for a ride near the spots I intend to hunt so I can glass. The biggest thing, for me, is take notes and keep a record of any sign and anything that might need remembering in the dark during hunting season. At least once a month or so we get a sitter (Grandma) for our 2yr old so Mom and I can get in and push the limits to look for the "WTF!?" stuff that I just know I'm gonna have to go through to recover a kill. Wife's not what I would call outdoorsy but she's a trooper and likes to be out with me especially if I take a picnic lunch. Usually try to keep the trek to 2-4 miles in with the family, though so I spend a lot of time looking for feasible access to get to the spots with minimal impact on the wildlife. Of course most of my hunting is done here in the east in the woods but most of my tactics would work most anywhere with a little tweaking.

dotman

WKR
It will probabaly be hard until the kids are older. Now if the kida get into it then no prob using all vacation for it. My wife likes an annual beach vacation, that takes a 5 day hit to my vacation time. I try to get out to my parents place in CO over the 4th to scout and I get a free day to not use vacation. The remaining days I use mostly for a 10day elk hunt. 2 weeks is hard when you can't just do what you want but someday it will be easier.

R

rebecca francis

My opinion is...include them as much as you can. Bearguide and I hunt together all the time, and we bring the kids as much as possible, since they were newborns. There are obviously times that taking them is impossible, and that is where the balance comes in. If you show your family that they are your number one priority, then when the time comes that you need to be in the field and can't take them, they will most likely be ok with it and support you in those endeavors.

Good stuff here. I see on some other forums the men having to 'trade' time, things, stuff, etc in order to get 'permission' to hunt and spend time doing the things they love to do. Granted, my wife and I have no children, but we learned a long time ago that allowing your partner the space and time to do the things they love without any conditions attached is important.
Tracy works in the horse industry and starting this week will be on the road 3-5 days a week about every other week thru August. My work requires out of town travel 2-3 days weekly...needless to say weekends are jam packed with stuff around the house, family events, etc. But we still find time to workout almost daily, take the beagles hiking, and sling the fly rods more than the average couple.
August will find us winging our way to S Africa for 10 days of plains game hunting...something of 20th Anniversay trip and the commitment I made to make sure Tracy gets another go at a BIG Kudu:)
Then I have a few days left over to pick and choose for High Buck or ML Elk or late whitetail.
Point is...make sure your priorities as far as providing for your family's needs and safety are taken care of, then take care of yourself by getting out and savoring the high lonesome places?!

dotman

WKR
My opinion is...include them as much as you can. Bearguide and I hunt together all the time, and we bring the kids as much as possible, since they were newborns. There are obviously times that taking them is impossible, and that is where the balance comes in. If you show your family that they are your number one priority, then when the time comes that you need to be in the field and can't take them, they will most likely be ok with it and support you in those endeavors.

But we are not all lucky to have a wife that is into the outdoors, now my wife lets me hunt a ton but I also have to make time for what she likes which is the beach. I'm hoping my daughter gets into the outdoors but I will not force it. She is currently 1 1/2 and loves hiking so I'm hoping she likes the mountains more thenthe beach.

Yukondog

WKR
outdoor hunter - Unfortunately no one can answer your questions except for yourself. What works for one family will not work for the next. I look at old hunting buddies and new and each one runs their lives differently. My situation is unique and doesn't resemble the next guy. I do know this, if a persons internal compass is not right and any sense of guilt or regret is present then it is wise to reevaluate. Husbands, wives and kiddos are what is most important, at least to me. I have missed plenty of activities because I made the choice to stay, but in the long run I know I made the right decision. Hey, my 7yr old only scores his first soccer goal one time in life, I would not miss that for anything? That is how I think anyhow....

Matt

R

rebecca francis

But we are not all lucky to have a wife that is into the outdoors, now my wife lets me hunt a ton but I also have to make time for what she likes which is the beach. I'm hoping my daughter gets into the outdoors but I will not force it. She is currently 1 1/2 and loves hiking so I'm hoping she likes the mountains more thenthe beach.

Don't get me wrong.....Dotman.....I love the beach too! In fact, I am leaving next week to hunt turkey/hog first for a few days, THEN going to the beach for a week ;)

But you are exactly correct....it is a very fine balance to attend to each others needs and interests, especially if your wife isn't into hunting. But that's ok she will love you for caring enough to try!

dotman

WKR
Don't get me wrong.....Dotman.....I love the beach too! In fact, I am leaving next week to hunt turkey/hog first for a few days, THEN going to the beach for a week ;)

But you are exactly correct....it is a very fine balance to attend to each others needs and interests, especially if your wife isn't into hunting. But that's ok she will love you for caring enough to try!

Haha, every once in awhile I think it would be great to have my wife hunt but then I think about it more and know it would not be a good time for either of us lol.

Last edited:

JDC

FNG
Dotman, i know what you mean... had to take the wife and kids to Hawaii last year. (ok i"ll admit that it was fun, just don't tell them) That was to make up for the mule deer hunt in CO and the WY guided elk hunt the year before. Other than that the beach is my last choice for a vacation.

OP
outdoor hunter

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I totally agree with you. I listen to my gut a lot. Just trying to get a gauge of what "hard core hunters" do that have family and jobs. It seems all I ever read about s guys spending there whole summer scouting and all fall hunting. Which would be great in my eyes. Throw in family and work and I'd lie to see how it all gets handled

Curtis C

WKR
Outdoor Hunter, there a are a lot of things to consider on this subject. Like said above "every family has different needs and requirements".

Here are a few things to think about.

Does the wife work outside the home? Moms that choose to work in the home and be with the kids need some time away. If this is your situation burn a few of your vac days to stay home with the kids while your lady gets some time for herself. You can do this by extending a weekend so you only use a few days. I've learned that giving her this time just before season works best for us.

There will be some times when family events(especially with young kids) are more important than an elk hunt in Sept. When those times present themselves be flexible. If you have to skip an elk hunt you can likely work in an exotic hunt in TX later or hammer the spring turkey a little more the following season.

You likely wont be able to scout all summer and hunt all fall right now. But you may be able to get the family to go on camping trips where you can squeeze in a day of scouting. Introduce them to the solitude you get when hunting.

During the off season you be a kick ass husband and father. You work hard to take care of your family and your family will work hard to give you your time to go hunting.

It may not happen as quickly as you would like but this stuff will all work out if everyone is willing to work at it.

KUDOS to you for asking this question. Its shows a commitment to your wife and kids.

C

Yukondog

WKR
KUDOS to you for asking this question. Its shows a commitment to your wife and kids.

C[/QUOTE]

My thoughts too. It shows you are moving in the right direction. You will find the right balance for your family. I hunt 365 days a year in my head. At times that is just fine. Seem to be more successful that way as well, wish I could show you my trophy room and pics from all the mind games I've had.

Matt

littlebuf

Banned
this is a good topic. heres how it works for me a father of 4 daughters and a husband of a very understanding wife.im a construction worker myself.in some cases im a superintendent but fo rthe last year ive been a working foreman and thats how it looks to be for this year also. somehow ive developed a knack for blowing off work,still getting paid 40 a week and making them think im doing them a favor.its a skill ive refined over many years.im fortunate enough to live within 15 minute of where i do 85% of all my hunting.so im in the woods a min of once a week. so theres 54 days a year right there.then add a extra day or so a week during spring so another 12 lets say but much of this time is with my daughters shed hunting or looking for bears.then bear season rolls around and im up there a min of twice a week from aug to sept before elk so add 6 more days. again real close to my hunting grounds so family time can be mixed in.elk season puts me in the woods for 15 days. deer can put me up there for another 20 plus (lots of blowing work off here) then in the late winter months depending on how deer went im predator hunting. so add a additional day a week there for about 2 months (8). so theres around 115 days in the field.family vacations are around holidays in the summer (i get them off with pay so that helps save vacation) and in reality i work a lot of long days to make up my 40 hours that i need a week to do what i do,both with the family and with hunting.its an incredibly busy life style.i guess in summery,to be in the field like you want to be you need to live close to your preferred hunting grounds,barely get any sleep,learn the ancient art of the "blowing off work ninja" as i have and marry the right woman.see its simple

Good topic, here's what I've learned over the years that has worked for me. As someone who has 4 little ones running around, I've learned to place a premium on the time I get in the woods, its not the quantity I might hope for but the quality of that time is much better than it used to be. The biggest thing I've done is been a kickbutt dad during the offseason. Yeah I'm thinking about hunting or doing some internet scouting but my primary focus is on my wife and kids and what they want to do. I've found if they are pretty happy and content during the year then its easier to get some time off to go hunting in the fall. Even with that I try to keep it reasonable. Now that my oldest are a little older I'm going to incorporate them into the activities more, yesterday I went shed hunting with my daughter and found a matching 3 point blacktail set, that was pretty exciting, and my oldest boy will be going on scouting trips with me this summer. Now I don't have the wall of magnum muleys I'd like but have been fortunate over the last few years to get some really good critters including a bighorn ram and shiras moose here in WA. Bottom line is every family is different you need to talk to your wife and figure out what works for you. Just remember, if mama ain't happy, no one is happy.

Thats cool that you have a family! Get the kids involved with hunting. More time in the field that way. Different guys just have more time. Job wise and famliy wise. My job cuts into my hunting in my opinion but heck you got to pay the bills. I wish I could have more time in the field to scout and to hunt. I just try to get it done with the amount of time I get and be happy that I am at least out hunting. Oh yea and I am single...a result of spare time spent in the woods.

cmeier117

WKR
Thats cool that you have a family! Get the kids involved with hunting. More time in the field that way. Different guys just have more time. Job wise and famliy wise. My job cuts into my hunting in my opinion but heck you got to pay the bills. I wish I could have more time in the field to scout and to hunt. I just try to get it done with the amount of time I get and be happy that I am at least out hunting. Oh yea and I am single...a result of spare time spent in the woods.

Have you had luck running into any hot single ladies in the woods? ;) I had to find mine in the city...