Fall turkey fan mount

JeffP_Or

WKR
Finished putting together a fan mount for a hunting partner - first attempt. Used an old fence corner post, sized it down with an axe - in doing that a piece came off with a knot that was just perfect for the spent 20ga shell.
PA240550_fall turkey.JPG
I'm thinking it will be a pretty good reminder of his one and only turkey and has a bit more character than the commercial plaques. And yes - it was a fall hen; he was not too picky when he finally got in close enough.

Zdub02

WKR
Thats an awesome mount. Fall hens remind me of what my granpa always said "We hunt turkeys in the fall; we hunt gobblers in the spring". Should be a great memory for your buddy

OP
JeffP_Or

JeffP_Or

WKR
Thanks guys! That wedged piece was actually another hunk that came off the post when I split the corner post down with the axe - it fit prettry well, so I carved on the back of the piece a bit to mate it up and then put a few pin screws into the back to hold it all there. Got lucky with that for sure!

The other thing I did a bit different was to pull the feathers from the tail instead of trying to flesh out the tail and borax the skin; I then cleaned up the feather shafts and put them back together in layers using JB Weld [what CAN'T you fix with JB Weld!?!?!]. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be and no worries about bugs. I could then drill and screw the whole tail into the post before covering it with the top piece of wood.

I've done forest and sage grouse tails by just cleaning out the meat and using borax but the turkey has a lot more to deal with in the tail meat.