Falken Wildpeak AT3W Mileage?

These tires have been great but… I’m at about 23k and have only 6/7 32’s in the center of the tread. The shoulders have a bit more tread. Tread per website says they start at 13/32

I run them at the door sticker PSI of 35 psi because these are standard load just like the st load tires that came from the factory on this F-150. Fallen says they’re rated for 55k miles. No excessive stopping and little towing. Doing the math I’ll get about 43k miles before they’re at 2/32 but I’m thinking I’ll want to change tires before fall so I get good snow traction during the hunts

Just me or do they seem to be wearing too quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower the PSI and let the shoulders catch up. Sounds like they’re right on track with the estimated lifespan since you would have more tread if it was wearing evenly. The mileage rating for AT/MT tires seems silly since they’re estimating to the legal limit which is no longer worth a crap for the intended purpose. I’ve gone thru a few of the Wildpeaks and recommended them to a bunch of friends, zero complaints.

I am running the Falkens on my 6.7l diesel. They have close to 40k. This year they were like skates in snow. Looks like 10k left of tread but I won't run them on snow anymore.

I have had multiple sets on work trucks and personal trucks, no complaints.

Also "run" LT 10 ply on half tons, bit stiffer ride but I think they wear better, and I feel a bit better durability wise on sharp rocks and branches and what not out in the boonies.

OP
T
Lower the PSI and let the shoulders catch up. Sounds like they’re right on track with the estimated lifespan since you would have more tread if it was wearing evenly. The mileage rating for AT/MT tires seems silly since they’re estimating to the legal limit which is no longer worth a crap for the intended purpose. I’ve gone thru a few of the Wildpeaks and recommended them to a bunch of friends, zero complaints.

I called Falken and in their calculator they said I’d get to 36k before I get to 2/32 which they admitted was low mileage

I’ll try lowing the PSI but at this point I think I’ve confirmed I’ll be getting new tires before the fall where I may be driving in snowy roads. Don’t think I’ll go with them again simply because of lower mileage I got on these

I called Falken and in their calculator they said I’d get to 36k before I get to 2/32 which they admitted was low mileage

I’ll try lowing the PSI but at this point I think I’ve confirmed I’ll be getting new tires before the fall where I may be driving in snowy roads. Don’t think I’ll go with them again simply because of lower mileage I got on these

Are you rotating them at all?

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I had them on my Tundra. They had about 40-45k on them and still had plenty of tread left. They were starting to sing on me.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of load E falkens listed at a starting depth of 17/32. I have 25,271 miles on them and they measure a bit over 13/32 on my depth gauge. Doesn’t seem to bad to me. I have them set at 35 psi.
Try getting load E tires next time with more depth.
The 55k mile life any tire manufacturer puts on A/T tires is bs. If you want to get anywhere in the mud or snow you won’t be happy driving around at the end of the tires life of 3/32.
And for the cost and performance I will get them again. This is my 3rd set.

Whatever tires you choose next, keep an eye on your PSI during normal use and see if you’re chronically running hot. It’s really easy to accidentally be ~10psi over and not even know it.
Ya fill up your tires on a cool morning before work with colder dense air, then summer hits and the increased temp adds pressure, then you commute 45 min which heats up the tires even more.. now you’ve got bald centers again.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I had easily over 50K on mine before I switched trucks. They still had really good tread left, I rotated every 3-5k.

OP
T
Whatever tires you choose next, keep an eye on your PSI during normal use and see if you’re chronically running hot. It’s really easy to accidentally be ~10psi over and not even know it.
Ya fill up your tires on a cool morning before work with colder dense air, then summer hits and the increased temp adds pressure, then you commute 45 min which heats up the tires even more.. now you’ve got bald centers again.

I’ve watched this happen and mine usually increase up to about 5 psi over a few hundred miles trips

180ls1

WKR
If you want to dial it in more you can try a "Chalk test" - google/youtube it.

Wild spitball but I am guessing you'll settle on 32 in the front and 30 in the rear. Again, wild guess.

OP
T
You should be rotating every 5000 max.

Outside of the slighter more worn center of the tire, the tires are have worn evenly.

On an older vehicle with worn out front end I get it, but on a few year old vehicle with under 36k miles, it’s hard to want to rotate them more often when they’re wearing evenly

CorbLand

WKR
Outside of the slighter more worn center of the tire, the tires are have worn evenly.

On an older vehicle with worn out front end I get it, but on a few year old vehicle with under 36k miles, it’s hard to want to rotate them more often when they’re wearing evenly

If your front end is worn out to the point it is causing wear issues with your tires, you should be replacing the front end.

OP
T
If your front end is worn out to the point it is causing wear issues with your tires, you should be replacing the front end.

Tell that to all the guys on stock front end components with 150k+ miles on their Tacoma’s LOL

Last edited:

Trees91

WKR
I have over 70k on my lt285/75r17s. They're on a worn out f150. I used to rotate every oil change but kinda gave up on that. They're old, hard and loud but they don't get many miles on them these days. They seem to last way longer than the other three sets I have. I got them in 2016 and I really think they've changed the rubber compound since. I should measure the tread depth, but tread wise they look surprisingly good.

I have over 70k on my lt285/75r17s. They're on a worn out f150. I used to rotate every oil change but kinda gave up on that. They're old, hard and loud but they don't get many miles on them these days. They seem to last way longer than the other three sets I have. I got them in 2016 and I really think they've changed the rubber compound since. I should measure the tread depth, but tread wise they look surprisingly good.

Rubber gets old - something like 4-6 years is as long as you should keep a set of tires of any kind, depending on the work you're putting them through. Beyond that you start risking blowouts, especially at higher speeds and under load. 10 years is absolute max.