Failed to Chamfer and Debur, Still Okay to Fire?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got all the pieces I need and ran a few completed rounds last night. Noticed I was getting a thin shaving on my ELD-X bullet when seating so I did some reading and realized I failed to chamfer and debur the case. Foolishly was under the impression that was only necessary after trimming the case. I'll fix that mistake from here forward but are the handful of rounds I already loaded okay to shoot or should I pull them and use a new bullet? Thanks in advance.

Of course … those moves make for more accurate rounds and better inflight bullet performance but as long as they feed ok you're fine - CAREFULLY check for feeding though

dla

WKR
go ahead and shoot them - no danger. But be aware that uniformity of the bullet base has more impact on accuracy than the bullet tip.

CJF

WKR
I reloaded 100's of rounds without it before I even knew it was a thing people do!! Before Rokslide and YouTube of course.

They all went off without a hitch.

As they said, you are OK. The factory doesn't chamfer their brass on the ammo they sell. I always trim new brass a little to square it, and then chamfer in and out. I also use a q-tip with a little case lube on it to wipe the inside of the neck, especially on fired brass, so the expander button doesn't scuff the neck.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I would pull the bullets and redo. I am a very OCD type and if it's not right I won't feel comfortable shooting it. Here is a tip I use so I don't miss a step. I have a post it note in the bin or zip lock bag that batch of brass is in. Each step is listed as I complete each step I cross it off. I often do steps at different times.
After seeing pictures of blown up guns from reloading mistakes I'm very careful!

I would pull the bullets and redo. I am a very OCD type and if it's not right I won't feel comfortable shooting it. Here is a tip I use so I don't miss a step. I have a post it note in the bin or zip lock bag that batch of brass is in. Each step is listed as I complete each step I cross it off. I often do steps at different times.
After seeing pictures of blown up guns from reloading mistakes I'm very careful!
that is good rules to live by in reloading - I say he's good to go on this "blunder" though

Lots of other steps you can take on brass like cutting the flash from the primer flash hole, squaring up and unifying primer pockets to name a couple . Necessary? no but I have done both feeling it was worthwhile. Spend a short time on benchrest forums and you will get even more confused!

I wouldn’t pull them. That would be a waste of bullets. Besides, the rifling will iron out any minuscule shave on the bullet from the brass in short order.

Shoot them. Take a cotton rag and wipe them to remove any shaving that’s gonna get in the way of things.

If you are worried about scuffing on the bullets, how about the inside of case necks? Just shoot them. "There is no end to concern." If afterwards there is major scuffing inside the necks, you can inside ream them lightly. However, I think you will be fine. Many people never worry about any of that stuff. I would just check the cases and then lightly trim to square them, and chamfer before loading them again.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for all the feedback fellas.
I wiped off the few rounds I had already done (I only did 7 of them) and made a separate row of them to see if there was a distinguishable difference in accuracy from the rounds I loaded after chamfering using the exact same charge and CBTO. One immediate difference was how much more smoothly the bullets seated after doing so and no more shavings. I took a close look to make sure there are no more shavings hanging on so I think I'm good to go for now. I'll post the results if there's any distinguishable difference after I get to the range if anyone is interested.
Thanks again for the input guys!