Failed scouting trip

cmeier117

WKR
Tried to go on a 3 night scouting trip last weekend with my dad and dad in-law. We were also trying to test out some gear, get our feet a little more wet with the backpacking thing and have a good time. It got cut way short due to snow. There was just suppose to be patches, and the trail status was updates 4 days before we left. I think the guy who updated it, didn't even get off his butt and go look because he was wrong. Where we set up camp we were on 10+ feet of snow 8 miles round trip truck was at 4,500 feet we stopped at 6,500 feet. Here are some pics of the trip, Enjoy!!

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
P1020003.jpg

P1020001.jpg

P1020002.jpg

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
P1020009.jpg

Badlands 2800, he is currently looking for another pack after this trip.

P1020010.jpg

P1020014.jpg

This pic was on our way back to truck and there was no snow here on our way up at 7 in the morning.

G Posik

WKR
The way I see it it is only a failure if you did not learn something from your trip. Looks like you got to check out your cold weather gear for camping and hiking.

Glenn

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Me1.jpg

My ugly face and awesome Timberline pack. That pack kept everything dry, kept me comfortable and I found out ice sticks to it really easy!! Temperatures were in the low 30's but we had a pretty stiff wind blowing.

All in all this was a fun trip and my dad who is a big weanie when it comes to staying warm and dry, loved this trip so much he is going to buy some snow shoes and we are going on some trips this winter! I seriously thought it was summer already!!

We were going to go back in 3 weeks or so to this area but last night my wife had to go to hospital with contractions!! So I don't think I will be leaving the house soon, unless I plan to live outside for the rest of my life!!

Last edited:
OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
The way I see it it is only a failure if you did not learn something from your trip. Looks like you got to check out your cold weather gear for camping and hiking.

Glenn

You are right the trip was a success, but the scouting part was not! ;)

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I was surprised we went as far as we did. A few hill climbs we probably should of had crampons and then snow shoes the rest of the time. It was a workout!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
That must have been last Saturday and the same storm I had come through in NIdaho leaving a trace of snow, but nothing like what you had....looked like a good day to try some new gear!