Factory Stuff Sack vs Larger Aftermarket Sack

Looking for everyone opinion if a larger aftermarket waterproof stuff sack for sleeping bag, pad, and pillow is worth it or if the factory ones are normally waterproof and good enough? I am looking at buying a thermarest xtherm for a pad and a Chilkoot 0 degree bag for reference on which factory bags will be coming with them. Still up in the air on a pillow but that isnt my major concern.

I had to buy an aftermarket for my tent because the original sack ripped. I bought a slightly larger sack. Having a slightly larger sack makes things so much easier. I can imagine the same is true for sleeping bags, particularly if it cinches down to the same volume.

TaperPin

WKR
Factory stuff sacks normally outlast the bag. I don’t trust any stuff sacks to be water proof - normally most people line the stuff sack with a garbage bag and I can’t ever recall that not working.

The times I’ll switch stuff sacks is when a different shape works better with the pack. Custom size stuff sacks are a must have for many set ups when strapping things on the exterior.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sea to summit evac compression bag. It will stay the size you compress it to, is water resistant enough (use a pack liner if you need more) bonus is that they are oval shaped so no awkward ball shaped object in your pack. Yes get one a little bigger to make packing easier.