Which Factory 223?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
But I don’t think the gen1 and gen2 Rugers are the same. I have a gen1 in 350 legend, and it has all the issues you hear about: flimsy stock, feeding issues, coarse action, no bolt lock. It seems like all of that was fixed with gen2, save maybe the stock is still cheap. Maybe I’m misinformed? Maybe you handled both models and had the same issues with both?

I‘llown a tikka one day, but not sure this is the application that I’d buy it for.
What design changes have been done to improve the action and bolt bind, trigger assembly, and safety spring failures?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, you’ve forgotten more than I’ll ever know about firearms. But I don’t think the gen1 and gen2 Rugers are the same. I have a gen1 in 350 legend, and it has all the issues you hear about: flimsy stock, feeding issues, coarse action, no bolt lock. It seems like all of that was fixed with gen2, save maybe the stock is still cheap. Maybe I’m misinformed? Maybe you handled both models and had the same issues with both?

I‘llown a tikka one day, but not sure this is the application that I’d buy it for.

The only real change that I’ve seen to the Gen 2 from the original is that made the stock design even worse, and the 223 AR15 mag feels terrible when running the bolt.

I’m not a hater of the RA, I’m realistic about what it is. @BLJ has one I believe and uses it. I know multiple people that have Gen 1 RA’s in 223 that use them fine, for the little use they get. However, none that I know would remotely pay $600 for one now. $250 like most bought them for, sure. Even still, I think only one has left it unmodified. The rest have replaced stocks, triggers, and some have barrels- all after every one swore it was just a beater, didn’t matter, and that they wouldn’t put a dime into them. All wish they would have just bought a Tikka and been done with it.

BLJ

WKR
What design changes have been done to improve the action and bolt bind, trigger assembly, and safety spring failures?
Do you have a link to what exactly you’re seeing fail? I’ve got a lot of friends, as well as myself, that have these rifles.
I’d like to know what to watch out for. Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Do you have a link to what exactly you’re seeing fail? I’ve got a lot of friends, as well as myself, that have these rifles.
I’d like to know what to watch out for. Thanks.
The sloppy and rough bolt can be mitigated a bit with some oil and running it hard. It still binds often in field positions when the body is a bit compromised and you rack the gun “off cant”. In general though, extraction is good and loading is reliable.

The new 3 position gen 2 thumb safety sucks with those “line indicators” as I’ve seen shooters get confused when running the action and making sure it’s safe and/or ready to fire. The older gen 1 was “better” but I’ve seen two instances of selector spring failure while being used heavily in the field.

BLJ

WKR
The only real change that I’ve seen to the Gen 2 from the original is that made the stock design even worse, and the 223 AR15 mag feels terrible when running the bolt.

I’m not a hater of the RA, I’m realistic about what it is. @BLJ has one I believe and uses it. I know multiple people that have Gen 1 RA’s in 223 that use them fine, for the little use they get. However, none that I know would remotely pay $600 for one now. $250 like most bought them for, sure. Even still, I think only one has left it unmodified. The rest have replaced stocks, triggers, and some have barrels- all after every one swore it was just a beater, didn’t matter, and that they wouldn’t put a dime into them. All wish they would have just bought a Tikka and been done with it.
I’ve got (2) Gen 1’s now and (1) Gen 2. I’ve also had (2) 6.5’s, (1) .308 and (1) 6 ARC.
I’m going to guess (I’ll admit that I have NO sort of formal record) that I’m at 1,500 rounds in the 5.56 rifles and maybe 600 total for the other rifles. Say 2,000 to guess. And that’s probably conservative to not cause any issues.
I’ve never had any trouble mechanically with any of them.
I may be on borrowed time and I realize that is a fraction of what other people in this thread shoot.
I’ll admit that they are not as refined as a lot of others, but they have worked for my use case thus far.
I don’t have any experience with the Howa, that’s why I recommended the Ruger from the 2 choices listed by the OP.

A new Tikka is $100 more than a new Ruger American Gen 2. That’s like half a tank of fuel for my 5500 pickup.

Save up another $100-$200 and buy a gun that will serve them a lifetime of hunting at 60 rounds per year, and then still have plenty of life left to leave to a young hunter someday.
If one can get a TIkka for $100 more than the Ruger or Howa in the caliber wanted then yes, I suggest saving the money for the Tikka. The Tikka is the better rifle.

Going back to my post on the value to OP I would suggest the TIkka if the difference is $100. If its hundreds then I don't know. People here seem to forget that a few hundred bucks matters to some people. Sitting in a whitetail stand and taking one steady shot at maybe a couple hundred yards, but most likely 100 yards or less, I don't think the rifle matters one bit.

Not related to your post above but I see bolt smoothness mentioned a lot. I have never experienced, witnessed, or had anyone tell me they missed a shot due to the bolt binding. I honestly think its more of an exaggerated possibility than a probability with less expensive rifles. Maybe an excuse people use to justify in their minds why they spent so much more on a rifle that isn't any more accurate than a Ruger or Savage. Not that I am against spending more on quality rifles. Nice buttery smooth actions are nice.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The only Tikka available at my local store is $1,100, and for the $300 out of picket that the American will cost me, again, I just don't see the value in the Tikka. I'm not shooting 3,000 rounds/year; I'll be lucky to shoot 60 out of this new gun per year. I don't need to kill Russians, I need to kill one, maybe three, PA deer per season. If they had the t3X for $750 where I can put my hands on it first, it would more of a contender.
Why not just by one from Europtic on GunBroker and FFL it to your LGS? I did my best to patronize the local stores without jumping on the web 9 months ago. After price shopping three local stores, I showed one what I could get it for directly from GB and on the spot he said "just do that, we'll handle the FFL." I paid < $800 plus the fee. You'll amortize the purchase price difference over many years. Aftermarket parts and goodies are also top notch.

BLJ

WKR
The sloppy and rough bolt can be mitigated a bit with some oil and running it hard. It still binds often in field positions when the body is a bit compromised and you rack the gun “off cant”. In general though, extraction is good and loading is reliable.

The new 3 position gen 2 thumb safety sucks with those “line indicators” as I’ve seen shooters get confused when running the action and making sure it’s safe and/or ready to fire. The older gen 1 was “better” but I’ve seen two instances of selector spring failure while being used heavily in the field.
I’ll keep an eye on the selector spring. Anything else that comes to mind, I’m all ears. Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ll keep an eye on the selector spring. Anything else that comes to mind, I’m all ears. Thanks.
I used a Jard trigger in mine and while it was an improvement, it failed in the field. The factory trigger sucks but I’d stick with that over an aftermarket unit.

You will also be disappointed in barrel life, at least I was on my 6.5 CM. 2,500ish rounds and it was done. It was however, not treated nicely and was over cleaned for its first 1,500 rounds.

Why not just by one from Europtic on GunBroker and FFL it to your LGS? I did my best to patronize the local stores without jumping on the web 9 months ago. After price shopping three local stores, I showed one what I could get it for directly from GB and on the spot he said "just do that, we'll handle the FFL." I paid < $800 plus the fee. You'll amortize the purchase price difference over many years. Aftermarket parts and goodies are also top notch.

From post #5:

I also want to make the purchase through Cabelas (Ive got GC's to use), and they don't have that model Tikka in that price range.

To the OP I like the feel of the Howa better but you won’t go wrong with either choice.

P

BLJ

WKR
I used a Jard trigger in mine and while it was an improvement, it failed in the field. The factory trigger sucks but I’d stick with that over an aftermarket unit.

You will also be disappointed in barrel life, at least I was on my 6.5 CM. 2,500ish rounds and it was done. It was however, not treated nicely and was over cleaned for its first 1,500 rounds.
I’ll keep the factory trigger. I back the weight down to the lowest point and remove the blade and they are serviceable for me.

I think the point you make about barrel life with the RA is what separates yourself (and many others on this site) from your “normal” (myself included) RA owner.

People like myself don’t really wear out barrels. Personally, I never have. And I don’t know anyone who has.
Myself and a few friends shoot way more than most around here. And that amounts to maybe 100 rounds a month. Sometimes more, often less.
When people like that have some Cabelas points burning a hole in their pocket and want a fast twist 223, the difference between adding $300 for an RA and $500 for a Tikka is significant.
At that point adding almost twice the money for something that will never be wore out or used in extremely harsh field conditions doesn’t make sense.
It’s a gun that is meant to be fun to shoot on occasion. Not necessarily a Swiss watch that is claw hammer reliable.
I think that most people know this going into it. They are what they are.

And this is all in generality from what I think most people who purchase “budget rifles” (myself included) consider when shopping.

Apologies to the OP for the book. 😁

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
ETA. Thats 100 rounds of centerfire.
We’ll light it up with some 22LR. 😀
So at 100 a month average that’s still only two years of shooting out of that Ruger 6.5 CM barrel I owned. As an example.

I understand your position on this and appreciate the detailed responses.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ve got (2) Gen 1’s now and (1) Gen 2. I’ve also had (2) 6.5’s, (1) .308 and (1) 6 ARC.
I’m going to guess (I’ll admit that I have NO sort of formal record) that I’m at 1,500 rounds in the 5.56 rifles and maybe 600 total for the other rifles. Say 2,000 to guess. And that’s probably conservative to not cause any issues.
I’ve never had any trouble mechanically with any of them.
I may be on borrowed time and I realize that is a fraction of what other people in this thread shoot.
I’ll admit that they are not as refined as a lot of others, but they have worked for my use case thus far.
I don’t have any experience with the Howa, that’s why I recommended the Ruger from the 2 choices listed by the OP.

For the average non serious use at close ranges there’s probably no real hindrance. For all around field shooting the stock is a problem and the don’t like dust and debris all that much.

BLJ

WKR
So at 100 a month average that’s still only two years of shooting out of that Ruger 6.5 CM barrel I owned. As an example.

I understand your position on this and appreciate the detailed responses.
If I could find someone to go coyote hunting with I may need a new barrel…………😁
For the average non serious use at close ranges there’s probably no real hindrance. For all around field shooting the stock is a problem and the don’t like dust and debris all that much.
Can’t speak to the dust and debris. I’ve never had any issues with them riding in the back of the truck or normal hunting conditions.

But I will say that my stocks aren’t “stock”. 😁IMG_3940.jpegIMG_3673.jpegIMG_0694.jpeg

OP
M

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Form, I’m going to take this in a totally new direction: any downside to buying a rifle in 5.56 instead of 223 for use with those bullets?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If I could find someone to go coyote hunting with I may need a new barrel…………😁

Can’t speak to the dust and debris. I’ve never had any issues with them riding in the back of the truck or normal hunting conditions.

But I will say that my stocks aren’t “stock”. 😁View attachment 782654View attachment 782655View attachment 782656
You live too far away! I could get you onto some desert dogs as we speak. This cottontail infested alfalfa field will have coyotes running through it in about an hour. Shots from 50 yards out to 800 yards.

IMG_9198.jpeg

BLJ

WKR
Ok Form, I’m going to take this in a totally new direction: any downside to buying a rifle in 5.56 instead of 223 for use with those bullets?

Obviously not Form, but I’ve had no issues with .223 in 5.56. TMK or otherwise.

Also, apologies for the tangent.